Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
What are you expecting form the 3rd Generation Apple TV. Personally, I think they need to add some type of hard drive, because it's ridiculous that you have to have your computer on the same network, and you can't close the laptop if you are on one, so the remote starts screwing with the Mac and the Apple TB, and also iTunes must be on at the same time when on the Apple TV is on.. I think that they should add a hard drive back to it so that it could function some-what with this...
Another question is, why did the first Apple TV have a Intel Chip in it.? Lol

Also, what's this talk about the Apple TV app store?

Last edited by a moderator:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Another question is, why did the first Apple TV have a Intel Chip in it.?

Because the Apple TV G1 run a slimmed down version of Mac OS X 10.4.8/Tiger.

Apple will not add a hard drive back to the Apple TV. They got it the current size and they won't make it bigger. If anything they'll add more flash storage to it.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I would like it to work.

Unfortunately it really doesn't do what a lot of people would like it to do.

For me, it needs more media management options- like Plex does for videos etc.

And not just iTunes compatible, but with all my media.

joehahn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
CT
3D blu-ray support, sandy bridge cpu, cappuccino maker, and all of your wildest dreams.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I don't think we'll see a hardware update to the ATV anytime soon. Just software. It's a streaming device, and I suspect Apple will keep it that way, so there just isn't much that needs to be added.

powerman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
In 1.5 to 2.5 years I think we will see an upgrade to an a5 chip and an increase in flash to 16 gb, but not much else. If the iphone/ipod/ipad are using the a6 chip then it will likely make its way into the atv. The inner parts of the atv are basically the inside of the ipad with not much memory. As stated above expect to see a lot more software updates to come first. There is a lot of potential for this device through its existing hardware. It is not on the same playing field as most apple products as far as a money maker, and the money it is making comes through the itunes store.
As far as what I would like to see in the atv 3 is a regular usb port and an itunes app built in so we can have an external hard drive and not have to have a computer running all the time. Plus an app store.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think we'll see a camera in it so we can do FaceTime or Skype on our HDTVs.

And I don't think we'll have to wait 2-3 years for the next update. Apple will add a small update each year, just enough to justify people to spend $99 each year - which is not much.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I'd bet on an upgrade when the App store comes out. That way they can combine the A5 chip with more flash memory to hold more Apps (2nd gen owners will have a few GBs of spare flash to install some apps).The next gen CPU/GPU will cope with 1080p - even if iTunes content remains 720p, airplay will enable streaming 1080p from a variety of sources. If only Apple would upgrade the video output to 1080p. Even £30 DVD-upscalers can upscale to 1080p!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
My biggest gripe with the aTV is that it is primarily paid services(iTunes rental, netflix) and a dance through menus for your local library.

If it were the other way around, as in the main menus are for my iTunes library, and a menu to get to iTunes rentals and netflix, I would buy one.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Apple needs a touch based remote, app store, and more features that interact with the tv part of the tv. Almost like what google did.

Last edited:

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
1080p would be the big thing IMO. maybe itunes would start supporting that too.

ruralguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think we'll see a camera in it so we can do FaceTime or Skype on our HDTVs.

It would have to be an x-ray camera to work from my a/v cupboard ;)

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009

And I don't think we'll have to wait 2-3 years for the next update. Apple will add a small update each year, just enough to justify people to spend $99 each year - which is not much.

Disagree with everything you have said. Having a camera in ATV will be useless. Think about location of the ATV box (is yours currently in a location ideal for doing FaceTime?), lighting in your viewing room...your proximity to camera...etc. FaceTime with an AppleTV would be a difficult proposition at best.

And there is no reason for Apple to want to re-sell new ATV boxes to their current owners each year. It's the iTunes content that they are making money on. It will be at least 18 months from now before a hardware refresh for AppleTV. I have had my AppleTV for 3 years now and Apple has made hundreds off sales and rentals from me in that time without an upgrade. They've priced it as cheaply as they did to bring more people into the ecosystem.

I do feel that 1080p (if only to work with your current iTunes content) and Apps are on the horizon...maybe before the year is out?

powerman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I could see facetime on your iphone/ipad that can airplay the video to your tv while keeping your camera on your iphone. All it needs is a software update.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Disagree with everything you have said. Having a camera in ATV will be useless. Think about location of the ATV box (is yours currently in a location ideal for doing FaceTime?), lighting in your viewing room...your proximity to camera...etc. FaceTime with an AppleTV would be a difficult proposition at best.

While I can buy much of what you say here, there are those who may position THEIR :apple:TV in an appropriate spot (right above or right below the screen) to make this work reasonably well. This lone feature would compete against products like this: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...-CC10W.O_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection which are often priced at or ABOVE :apple:TV pricing, though the latter comes with all those other benefits.

Besides, if the circuit board is closely connected to the iDevice line, and the iDevice line is all going with a facetime camera, it might be a "might as well" feature to include. Would I use it? Probably not. But if someone else would enjoy the feature, my view of such stuff should not make their view useless/foolish/etc. They want what they want.

Myself, I hope for the same big 3 many have longed for for several years now:
  • 1080p capability (with or without iTunes content to feed it). Apple can't defeat the "bag of hurt" if this falls short on the fundamentals of best picture (& sound). If it gets toe-to-toe with BD quality, those interested in maximizing what their HDTV's (and sound systems) can do will have a genuine option. And those happy with 720p can still get every bit of the 720p experience rendered on the hardware capable of a bit more than 720p. That's win:win for everyone, rather than trying to make the 1080p'ers like it as Apple wants to serve it up. I know, I know: bandwidth, "the chart", storage, higher prices, blah, blah, blah. This wish does not force anything on the usual cheerleaders happy with things "as is". It just makes the next generation device appeal to a market that wants a bit more than "as is" to at least be built in.
  • app store (so that third parties can extend functionality without jailbreak requirements) If Apple wants to keep seeing this as a hobby- thus low priority- let the third parties invest the time & talent to lift it out of hobby status. No big loss to Apple, but huge win for consumers and third parties interested in making this thing go. Apple also wins by selling more units, which then drives more rentals of iTunes content. Who doesn't win with an app store?
  • an open hardware option such as normalizing the USB port (so that third parties could fulfill other wishes that Apple seems to ignore; for example, some want DVR-like options which would be a natural for companies like Elgato to fulfill. Some want this to double as a BD player, so a third party could deliver an add on to let it do that for those individuals that want that particular feature. Etc). This doesn't force DVR or BD features- and related costs- on everyone, but does make this little box an interesting alternative to those who might be thinking they want to buy a DVR or BD player (get this thing from Apple and kill 2 birds with one stone). Apple wins (sells more units). Third parties win with some new ways to bring what they do to market. Consumers (with discrete needs) win. Don't do this, and DVR and BD, etc buyer's cash goes for other devices that can't rent/buy iTunes content, and further strengthens BD's hold as THE lone mainstream choice for best quality picture & sound.

Personally, I'd also like that third wish to include an Apple-endorsed option to attach whatever size USB hard drive one chooses, which could then act as local storage (reviving this particular benefit from generation 1 in an even better way). Those happy with streaming everything would be completely unaffected. But those who would like local storage could get what they want (too).

I also favored the last incarnation of gen 1 navigation to this new one's navigation. That last gen made our content prominent (first entry) in dedicated menus for movies, tv shows, music, podcasts, etc. IMO, it would have been much better to perfectly replicate THAT nav and add in the (new) Netflix option than to make the changes that were made, relegating the content we own to a lone menu. I know, I know: it's all about motivating the rental of iTunes store content, but I thought Apple was all about a "wow" user experience. IMO, the new "experience" is not as good as the old "experience" except for how the new hardware seems a bit faster than the old (ancient) hardware.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.