Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFly69

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
i'm looking to upgrade to OS4.1, but my iP4 is currently JB. do i need to first restore, then upgrade...or i can i simply just upgrade with it JB?

3gjailbreakingm

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
tried to jailbreak iphone3g

I neeeeed help, tried to jailbreak my iphone 3 g with Iclaried, redsnow, very simple steps. Its just that i Forgot to put 3.1.2 ( mine is 3.1.3) to my iphone before jailbreaking with resdnow. so i went ahead and jailbreadk 9 whih i think didnt work , becuz i didnt have 3.1.2 in there And when i aput a vodafon sim card in there , its supposed to see it right ?? ) anwyays, went back to put 3.1.2 retrospectively in the iphone, it wont work, ie the restore wont work.. and phone wont work , and its all shitt!! so i guess the solution is how to UNjailbreak and then start from step one , ie , sync 3.1.2 then jail break..Is this correct ? And how do i got about doiing this cuz, now , my phone dont work ,its on stuck restore mode.. im trying Restore from itune but keep getting error messages !!! plazzzzzz help .

julioverani

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
I really tryed...but havent worked

Hi people,

My 3GS just died, and i tryed the steps told above, but nothing happened at all... I'm getting a new phone in a week, but i really need to retrieve all my apps and content, its really important to me and losing it would be a REAL stepback to my work! Most of this info probably wont be available anymore, so, is there any other ways to get my backup before the phone goes away?

Thanks in advance!

steinauf85

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2005
i was running 4.0.1 jailbroken on my iPhone 4. i ran the upgrade in itunes directly to iOS 4.1 (since i did not see a clear answer on here to say otherwise), but received Unknown Error 1004. i have tried to restore using the steps in this thread but i keep getting the same error. when the phone is plugged into the computer it just keeps showing the itunes logo and USB cable picture

i'm not sure what to do from here. what can i do if it just gives me errors every time i try to restore? can anyone please help me?

edit: i think i got it. it has to do with the hosts file being modified for jailbreaks, not for clean restores.
post 5: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/949246/

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I have a 3G with 3.1.2 on it. I unlocked it but now i need to take it to the Apple store for repiar.

How do i reset to factory settings without losing the unlock for future?

Once the phone comes back from being repaired, I want to be able to unlock it again.

Thanks!

dilbaggins

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
Recovery Help Please!

I'm trying to recover/restore my iPhone 3G 4.1 Firmware. Whenever I'm restoring it, I'm putting it to DFU mode and connecting it to my computer, but everytime the Connect to iTunes screen disappears halfway into the download and it won't restore afterwards and I end up redownloading the iOS. Can anyone please help me :mad:

joannalandipa

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
iphone 4.1 block out cuz of CYDIA

One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Before we start, please note that the step-by-step guide involves restoring your iPhone so you should know that this would mean that all your personal data from your iPhone, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data will be wiped out and your iPhone's settings will be restored to their factory settings. However, you always have the option to recover your personal data from the backup.

Here is the step-by-step guide to revirginize or restore your jailbroken iPhone:

* Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes. If things had gone horribly wrong while hacking your iPhone and iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
o You can follow these steps to put your iPhone in DFU mode (this is required only if iTunes does not recognize your iPhone):
+ Connect your iPhone to your computer.
+ Turn iPhone off.
+ Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
+ Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
+ A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
* In the Summary Tab, click on the Restore button.
3128lkw.jpg

* iTunes should prompt you if you would wish to take a backup of your iPhone before restoring. Select Backup.
2iuxaj5.jpg

* After the backup is taken select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you.
2ly4l09.jpg

* Once the restore process has completed your iPhone will restart and the Apple logo will appear while booting up.
* After the restore is complete and your iPhone restarts you will see the “Connect to Activate” screen. You must continue to keep your iPhone connected to complete activation.
10nzw3l.jpg

* The last step is to set up your iPhone either from a backup or set up as a "new iPhone". If you are planning to take the iPhone to the Apple Store, its advisable to setup your iPhone as a "new iPhone" else you can select the date of your backup that you want to restore to. You can always follow the above procedure to restore from a backup at a later date.
j8388x.jpg

i hope admins of this website put this thread in sticky forum..
I'm glad I found in this web site, I thank you with gladness for restoring back my iphone 4.1, I thought I can never be use it again ,thank you again.

joannalandipa

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
my iphone was restored

hey man your genius and good , you make my heart beat again after restoring my iphone back again, I'd like to thank you for putting this step by step procedure to restore the iphone back to original. I been getting so crazy about it, I regret for attempting jailbreak my phone, thanks again .

farmercist

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
canada
will this work with jailbroken & unlocked 3g 4.2.1

I have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked on 4.2.1 with ipad baseband 6.15.00. Will this work? I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't restore with the ipad baseband I could have misread though. Please clarify :confused:
Thanks

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Thankyou for this guide. I wanted to update my jb phone to the newest software and this worked perfectly! Give the poor springboard a break from resprings until the next untethered JB!

ach22

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Help I think I ruined my iphone :(

I tried to jailbreak, and in the process my phone got stuck with the 'connect usb' screen. I called apple and they couldn't solve the problem over the phone. i got the 1013 error, I try and go through the steps mentioned and itunes tells me to check the iphone software server to identify the device? Then it says 'itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode, you must restore this device before itunes can use it' (something like that) I just go through this over and over!?
I get all the way through the software extraction- apple logo on my screen etc... then back to the start again

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I tried to jailbreak, and in the process my phone got stuck with the 'connect usb' screen. I called apple and they couldn't solve the problem over the phone. i got the 1013 error, I try and go through the steps mentioned and itunes tells me to check the iphone software server to identify the device? Then it says 'itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode, you must restore this device before itunes can use it' (something like that) I just go through this over and over!?
I get all the way through the software extraction- apple logo on my screen etc... then back to the start again

Stop at the 1013 error and use Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of the restore loop.

ach22

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Okay thank you.
Do I exit recovery then click Start TSS or leave it in recovery? DO i need to select one of the saved SHSH's- cuz there are 3.

ach22

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
I think I did what you suggested and it doesn't work? Itunes goes right back to check for software updates then says detects iphone in recovery mode...
Anything else I can do from here?

IphoneGuy4daBay

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
I have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked on 4.2.1 with ipad baseband 6.15.00. Will this work? I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't restore with the ipad baseband I could have misread though. Please clarify :confused:
Thanks

Does anyone know the procedure to restore your Iphone 3G with 4.2.1 and the Ipad baseband that you accidentally hit reset all settings and now is stuck at "Connect to Itunes"

I know I know....

Nandina

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
What If you can't remember your password?

We can't remember the password for the Iphone since it's been dead for a few months (water spillage), but now came back to life. What should we do?

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Before we start, please note that the step-by-step guide involves restoring your iPhone so you should know that this would mean that all your personal data from your iPhone, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data will be wiped out and your iPhone's settings will be restored to their factory settings. However, you always have the option to recover your personal data from the backup.

Here is the step-by-step guide to revirginize or restore your jailbroken iPhone:

* Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes. If things had gone horribly wrong while hacking your iPhone and iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
o You can follow these steps to put your iPhone in DFU mode (this is required only if iTunes does not recognize your iPhone):
+ Connect your iPhone to your computer.
+ Turn iPhone off.
+ Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
+ Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
+ A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
* In the Summary Tab, click on the Restore button.
3128lkw.jpg

* iTunes should prompt you if you would wish to take a backup of your iPhone before restoring. Select Backup.
2iuxaj5.jpg

* After the backup is taken select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you.
2ly4l09.jpg

* Once the restore process has completed your iPhone will restart and the Apple logo will appear while booting up.
* After the restore is complete and your iPhone restarts you will see the “Connect to Activate” screen. You must continue to keep your iPhone connected to complete activation.
10nzw3l.jpg

* The last step is to set up your iPhone either from a backup or set up as a "new iPhone". If you are planning to take the iPhone to the Apple Store, its advisable to setup your iPhone as a "new iPhone" else you can select the date of your backup that you want to restore to. You can always follow the above procedure to restore from a backup at a later date.
j8388x.jpg

i hope admins of this website put this thread in sticky forum..

Very nicely put together guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.