Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyWhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
My iPhone 4 is connected to wifi, but it is using the 3G network over the wifi. At the top, it says 3G and there is no wifi symbol, although in the wifi settings, it is connected. Is there a way to choose wifi over 3G to save my data? Every time the wifi symbol is there and I try to go to a website, it changes to the 3G symbol. Any help? Thanks!

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
But my mom, brother, dad's iphones, and my 2 previous ipod touches are all able to connecto the the router flawlessly.

Ya know, I've noticed this problem as well too. It doesn't do it all the time, but on occasion I notice this because my fiancee is able to connect to wifi and I cannot even though in the settings it says I am...And it never seems to happen on my home network, just out and about.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I will say it is the router. You have to look at the settings. Could be some setting in the router that limits the number of IPs it gives out.
My GF router ran into problems because when her dad set it up he gave it like 7 or 8 max. That was fine until we were all visiting at once and then devices would not connect or worth with out a router reset.

Problem was solve by increasing the number it could give out. You will be amazed how many IP a router has to hand out and how quickly you will eat threw a limit.

For example here at home there are 3 phones, 2 360, 5 computers, 2 iPods, and 3 kindles connected to the router.
That is at least 10 devices. If my sister comes home then you can add at least 3 more devices to that list. On top of that I am pretty sure I missed some.
Reason for that list was to show how quickly they add up and it can max it out with out you going in and saying add more. Big time in todays world when you have DVD,TV and printers all sucking up extra IP addresses. Used to be just computers would be all that you had. The setting on the router could of been set up that way for security. But it is an easy fix.

Lease typically last for 24 hours before they are renewed

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Mine does this from time to time. my girls iphone will have no issue but mine will. It turns out to be my router (Linksys) I have to restart it by pulling the power and then its fine.

utneon

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal
my girlfriend's iphone sometimes has priority in 3g over wifi even thought it's still connected to the router. for example the face time tries to connect via 3G then it fails. but still uses data :mad::mad::mad:

m0pax

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
essex uk
iPhone 4 is using 3G over the wifi

Mine and my wifes do the same and it is eating half my data limit, it was fine on OS 5 ? router reset makes no differance

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
My iPad never worked well with my Linksys router (WRT150N). I replaced it with a Netgear (WNDR7300) and I haven't found a device that it doesn't like.

ghettosmerf21

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
I'm on an iPhone 4 with tmobile. After getting a data plan with them my data connection was preferring 3G over wifi ALL the time. It did this on my 3GS also. No if ands or buts it's not my router because if my tmobile data gets cut off or capped, I can stay on wifi forever not one problem(I've tested throroughly). And has only been like this since ios 5. After getting overages and trying to figure this all out, tmobile says its my phone and it's defective(even tho it was happening on my 3GS also). So if its not my router and it's not tmobile then it HAS to be apple and the ios. With no resolution in sight I dropped the 3G Internet service and my wifi works perfectly!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.