Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
I just finished doing a speed test and I got .3 Mbps Down and .1Mbps up. When I was on ATT I had an average around 2.5 Down and 1.0 up. WTF is up? I thought verizon was the solution to all my problems.........?

sb9689

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
I just finished doing a speed test and I got .3 Mbps Down and .1Mbps up. When I was on ATT I had an average around 2.5 Down and 1.0 up. WTF is up? I thought verizon was the solution to all my problems.........?

HA! AT&T didn't lie in their commercials ya know, their data network is the fastest for 3G. Verizon may just be the solution to your *calling* problem if you had one.

Oh, and good luck trying to surf and talk at the same time.

Onthelo

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Santa Clara - Bay Area
Verizon data has always been slower then at&t. It actually about matches my android. I run my iphone4 on wi-fi whenever possible so i can keep a decent speed also don't grip the cell to hard it will dramatically slow it down sometimes throw an error code..

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009

Wow, is it that slow? I have heard that the CDMA network just can't handle data the same way. I'm on AT&T and I believe it's faster than that while I'm on 3G. Do you have weak signal?

Onthelo

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Santa Clara - Bay Area
Wow, is it that slow? I have heard that the CDMA network just can't handle data the same way. I'm on AT&T and I believe it's faster than that while I'm on 3G. Do you have weak signal?

shoot yesterday morning when i got mine I ran a speed test on 3g it was like .036 so slow i could have read a book .. lol everyone was running speed test and refreshing ups/fedex sites.. lol

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ

It's not nearly as slow, in general, as the OP. That's a bit crazy. I average about 1.8 down, and 600-800 up. It's definitely a chunk slower than ATT, but the trade off is the better overall Voice quality/reliability (in general. Obviously area dependent).

It's a trade off, and really depends on what you need more... and obviously your local area. I've been in CDMA area's where my Verizon phone has piss service, but others were solid. I've also been in area's where GSM was non-existent but CDMA was fine. It's a trade off, and area dependent.

Sounds like the OP is in a poor area.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
I have heard as low as .1 down to as high as 1.2 down. Im not sure why I thought verizon speed would be so much better. I shouldnt have listened to the hype.

You listened to the hype that VZW was faster than AT&T? Where exactly did this hype come from?

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There

LMAO!!!!

Solution to all your problems? Didn't you do some research before jumping over to Verizon? Your problems are just beginning with Verizon. No simultaneous voice/data, incredibly slow 3G network speeds, and they are capping speeds.

Verizon is the worst thing that has happened to Apple's flagship phone.

This should be a different matter once they roll out LTE.

Have fun OP!

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Im consistently getting 1.4-1.7, about the middle of what I was getting with AT&T (anywhere from 0.5 to 3.5). Im satisfied because I am paying $40 for unlimited everything (for this line) on my family plan.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Seriously another Verizon sucks, AT&T is OMG WOW thread...This is an Apple forum not a damn cell phone carrier forum. You buy which one works better for you, sorry that you had to be stupid and move to Verizon for no reason but thats not anyones fault but your own.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Solution to all your problems? Didn't you do some research before jumping over to Verizon? Your problems are just beginning with Verizon. No simultaneous voice/data, incredibly slow 3G network speeds, and they are capping speeds.

Verizon is the worst thing that has happened to Apple's flagship phone.

Sorry took me a minute to see this as I was on a long call that wasn't dropping so I actually could be engaged in it.

:)

In all fairness both, as most who aren't fanboying a carrier will agree, have their ups and downs. You trade one thing for another, and they both have things that are going to stand apart.

ATT has faster speed, obviously, but Verizon has a more reliable voice network and larger coverage area in general by far. It's all dependent on your area.

I don't see why people still yell about "haha you suck Verizon" when it's pointless. People choose, generally, what works for them in their area and what's important to them. Data is minor to me (I only use it for minor stuff, and Pandora when I'm on the go. Most of the time I'm in WiFi locations).

As for the other post about the "hype". I'll be honest... I have no idea where you saw that one. As a Verizon subscriber for years (originally Alltel) I have never seen a DATA IS FASTER ON VERIZON type argument. We generally acknowledge it's slower (coverage area dependent).

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Sorry took me a minute to see this as I was on a long call that wasn't dropping so I actually could be engaged in it.

:)

In all fairness both, as most who aren't fanboying a carrier will agree, have their ups and downs. You trade one thing for another, and they both have things that are going to stand apart.

ATT has faster speed, obviously, but Verizon has a more reliable voice network and larger coverage area in general by far. It's all dependent on your area.

I don't see why people still yell about "haha you suck Verizon" when it's pointless. People choose, generally, what works for them in their area and what's important to them. Data is minor to me (I only use it for minor stuff, and Pandora when I'm on the go. Most of the time I'm in WiFi locations).

As for the other post about the "hype". I'll be honest... I have no idea where you saw that one. As a Verizon subscriber for years (originally Alltel) I have never seen a DATA IS FASTER ON VERIZON type argument. We generally acknowledge it's slower (coverage area dependent).

Everyone is going to hate on Verizon because AT&T got the iPhone first...just the way 90% of this forum is.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Everyone is going to hate on Verizon because AT&T got the iPhone first...just the way 90% of this forum is.

It's just the way the internet is in general. lol.

You got it on the PS3? HAHA N00B I got it on the XB360 a month ago!
You got the new 3D HDTV? n00b I got one 6 months ago
You got X product? Haha n00b I got it before on X carrier.

I don't see the point of it... but hey, whatever floats their boat.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
It's just the way the internet is in general. lol.

You got it on the PS3? HAHA N00B I got it on the XB360 a month ago!
You got the new 3D HDTV? n00b I got one 6 months ago
You got X product? Haha n00b I got it before on X carrier.

I don't see the point of it... but hey, whatever floats their boat.

That's the way most forums are. Give a person an outlet for their opinion and they will use it as a club to beat down any opinions that don't match.

Some of the most hateful things I have ever seen in print have been on fan forums and directed at the person or thing that the forum is supposed to represent fandom of.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There

Your statement makes no sense. The facts are that AT&T has a faster and better 3G network. You can also take advantage of the iPhone 4's feature to do simultaneous voice/data while Verizon's handicapped network can't do it, and AT&T isn't capping speeds for anybody.

Verizon was all just a big over exaggerated hype. And for what? Slower 3G speeds? Capped speeds? Losing the ability to do simultaneous voice/data?

Face it buddy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.