Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
It seems that emoji doesn't work when sent from a Verizon iPhone to an ATT iPhone. Is everyone experiencing this? Has anyone talked to VZW about this yet? Any fixes?

Qute

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
You are talking about SMS, right?
It seems to be working the other way around, at least.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
It seems that emoji doesn't work when sent from a Verizon iPhone to an ATT iPhone. Is everyone experiencing this? Has anyone talked to VZW about this yet? Any fixes?

interesting. Maybe due to a difference in the way ATT and Verizon process emoji? Doesn't seem likely, but at the same time, it seems like the only logical explanation.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
interesting. Maybe due to a difference in the way ATT and Verizon process emoji? Doesn't seem likely, but at the same time, it seems like the only logical explanation.

As it goes from one system to another, anything other than basic 1 byte ASCII might get stripped out.

While I haven't tried it, I know that SMS messages containing emoji characters would result in NO message at all being shown on my old VZW Blackberry, but I just assumed it was a BB issue and not an AT&T-->VZW issue.

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Lol at Verizon. Att to att works, att to tmobile and vice versa works. Only verizon wants to be different lol.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Lol at Verizon. Att to att works, att to tmobile and vice versa works. Only verizon wants to be different lol.

Verizon to Verizon works, too, apparently. It's going from AT&T to Verizon and/or vise versa. Problem could lie with either carrier, not necessarily VZW.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Yup, I was just helping a friend setup her Verizon iPhone. At&t to Verizon works fine, but when she sends them to me it's just jibberish.

Qute

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010

I think talking to Apple would actually get faster results.

On another note, I bet the problems with emoji and non-english characters are one and the same.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Confirmed that the issue is one way. My friend, who has a 3gs on Att cannot see my emoji text but I can see her's on my v-iPhone. Mine comes up as gibberish on her phone.

I hope there is a solution, or one of the three obvious companies find a fix this.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
This is very important! Forget notifications in iOS 5, we need our emoji working properly!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
My guess is when when Text leaving the or coming onto from another network either Verizon or AT&T is breaking everything down to the 8-Bit ASCI value. Thoe Emoji are not part of that table so they come in as blank squares. My mom loves using them problem is my dad and I do not use iPhones so we do not get them. They are just a little black square on our phones as they do not recognized as standard char.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I remember that there were complaints about how Verizon and AT&T customers had issues sending each other MMS. Different from SMS with emoji in it but could be related.

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I'm glad I found this thread. I thought that I was going crazy or something! Sure stinks though! I hope that they fix it somehow.

sorepheet

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
East Coast
Correction

T-Mobile to AT&T is not working. AT&T to T-Mobile isn't working either. This is in regards to SMS. However if I use an emoji in a tweet anyone on an iPhone can view it.
It has to do with the encoding of the characters. Carriers utilize different 'channels' to display emoji. According to DaVBMan via http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12205009:
DaVBMan said:
Many people do not realize that emoji are not a standard and that is why various phones cannot display to one another. And also since they are using special characters to represent the emoji that some carriers do not translate them over.

You can always email your friend if you really want to see if she/he can see them as that will go over data and via email protocols and not the carrier SMS protocols that are messing with them.

Carrier to carrier should be fine with SMS. Should be able to email emoji to one another, tweet emoji, or even text ingame (words with friends) emoji. Just NO emoji via SMS to/from different carriers. Not an :apple: issue. Problem is that there is no STANDARD for display between all carriers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
WRONG! Sprint has other smart phones and emoji is not exclusive to iPhone, this is about network compatibility

Take a chill pill, all I was saying that the iPhone has it and I was unaware that other phone used it as well.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
*sigh*

Here we go again with people saying "the iPhone can't do this"....when they see that its something that the carrier is not doing. If you can see the emojicon on your phone then guess what....the iPHone can do it. So please understand that when sending something across carriers, there is a possibility that the carrier might not transfer it correctly. Its not the phones fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.