Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

110615-att_logo.jpg

In what could be viewed as yet another bid by AT&T to keep customers from defecting to the Verizon iPhone, the carrier today announced that it will launch tomorrow a new "Mobile to Any Mobile" feature allowing unlimited calling from AT&T phones to other mobile phones in the U.S., regardless of carrier.

The feature, which rolls out tomorrow, requires customers to be on a qualifying voice plan and to have an unlimited messaging plan, which costs $20 per month.
Beginning Thursday, Mobile to Any Mobile will be available to new and existing AT&T customers with a qualifying voice plan who subscribe to unlimited messaging plans. Existing customers with an unlimited messaging plan can activate Mobile to Any Mobile by visiting www.att.com/anymobile. The URL will be available beginning Thursday.
AT&T has been taking a series of steps to combat the threat posed by the Verizon iPhone, tweaking its tethering plans to offer more data capacity and touting its network's ability to handle simultaneous voice and data.

Article Link: AT&T Launches Unlimited 'Mobile to Any Mobile' Calling, Requires Unlimited Messaging

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
Nice. I wonder if the numbers the Google Voice app generates count as mobile numbers. This is really good for me, as some of my best friends are on Verizon.

touchtone561

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Why is a calling feature tied to a messaging one?

Probably cause they want to shakedown all the non-unlimited messenger customers with a new tiered messaging structure.

Perhaps, this new feature isn't a bad deal with A-List, etc.

Now if I had only more than 1.5 bars and an iPhone that didn't go toaster hot (not cylon) :D when I try to use it on the first floor of my home.

So when do you think the LTE Microcell(s) will arrive? [off topic]

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
To me the rollover feature is my insurance plan. 450 isn't a lot, but the 1500 extra minutes in the bank allow me to not worry too much those months when I may call a little more than usual.

jaj1962

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
New Hampshire
If you change your plan, you WILL lose any rollover minutes you have accumulated over the past year. Remember too that rollover minutes are only good for a year. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
You will loose your rollover minutes if you reduce your rate plan, but not if you increase it. Yes, rollover minutes expire after a year.

shays992000

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Visalia California
You will only loose your rollover minutes if you switch plan types. Example from Family Talk to a single line plan. Changing minutes will not effect your roll over minutes.

Medinarem

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009
Att on facebook

Att on facebook said you must on the Att nation 450 &900 or the family 700 or higher to qualify and it's not cost additional for the service.

BrentT

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
If you change your plan, you WILL lose any rollover minutes you have accumulated over the past year. Remember too that rollover minutes are only good for a year.

I don't see anything yet that would cause you to forfeit any minutes less than one-year old. From the press announcement: "Rollover Minutes: Unused Anytime Mins expire after the 12th billing period. Night & Weekend & Mobile to Mobile mins do not roll over." That is the same as the current policy. I have changed plans within AT&T over the past 3 years without losing any minutes.
We will have to see the fine print tomorrow. Although, with this new option, there is less need for rollover minutes if you talk to mostly other mobile phones (which is the case for me). It will be easier to accumulate minutes with this plan.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
well this kinda goes along with the A-list requirements, for A-list you have to have a high enough minute plan, and if you do, like me, you never end up using your minutes because everyone you call is on your A-list. So I have 9000 rollover minutes... sheesh. And if i drop down a level, I lose all my rollovers, pay a fee, then have to bump it back up the next month anyway. It's just a complicated way of making sure I don't go over my minutes.

So I'll add this new feature tomorrow, and in 3 months I'll have 12000 rollover minutes. Hurray, i guess. :rolleyes:

iPhobic

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Meh...

How about unlimited data for $20/month? That would be a real treat. I barely use my calling minutes :cool:

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
And since we're not touching the data plan, those of us with the grandfathered unlimited data plan will still get to keep the unlimited data plan, n'est pas?

dotnsk

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Sonoran Desert
Why is a calling feature tied to a messaging one?

I'd imagine so it looks like people are getting something for "free" (I'd be willing to bet that most of their customers are already on an unlimited messaging plan, particularly if they're on a family plan) while still maintaining some semblance of profitability for the carrier (messaging plans are generally believed to be pure profit).

I'm excited about this feature, even if I don't truly *need* it. I'm on the lowest-tiered family plan right now and I have literally thousands of rollover minutes. Most of my friends and family are on AT&T (lots of iPhone users) and I don't call anyone all that often anyway. However, it's always nice to have yet another feature that establishes peace of mind. Plus, I hope this is the first in a long line of steps to reduce the overall cost of monthly service for AT&T users (unlikely, but I can dream...and perhaps a massive deflection to Verizon will help speed things along).

Plus, it's just another choice for users. I may not use my phone as a phone all that often, but lots of AT&T users do. I bet this reduces the overall cost of a plan for some iPhone users, particularly those on a family plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.