Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krustofski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
does anyone know john gruber? could you ask him what this sentence in his blog post about HPs TouchPad exactly means:

Summer feels like a long time away. If my theory is right, they’re not only going to be months behind the iPad 2, but if they slip until late summer, they might bump up against the release of the iPad 3. - http://daringfireball.net/

my english is not so good :)

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Not true, Apple isn't stupid to release the iPad 2 and then the iPad 3 a few months later. Plus it doesn't work with their refresh system.

mightygitis

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Hampton Roads
does anyone know john gruber? could you ask him what this sentence in his blog post about HPs TouchPad exactly means:

Summer feels like a long time away. If my theory is right, they’re not only going to be months behind the iPad 2, but if they slip until late summer, they might bump up against the release of the iPad 3. - http://daringfireball.net/

my english is not so good :)

First, the iPad 2 is not yet released, and MAY be released this summer. He is making a joke that if the HP TouchPad runs into more problems it will be released alongside the iPad 3. In other words, it will be over a YEAR behind when it was supposed to be released.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Or is Gruber saying that Apple will switch the product cycle for iPad to the same as iPod? In time for the holidays...

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I highly doubt that. Apple usually gives it a year or so between refreshes of most of their devices, which it's looking like will stay with the iPad. I suppose it's possible, just not very likely.

krustofski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Not true, Apple isn't stupid to release the iPad 2 and then the iPad 3 a few months later. Plus it doesn't work with their refresh system.

yes, i know, it would be unusual for apple. but because of all the rumors about the retina display for the iPad ... maybe they are going for a minor update for the ipad 2 in april and then release the retina display ipad in october or so.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
"Bump into" = "iPad 3 is released while HP's tablet is 6 months old" ?

Just a guess, but that's kind of what I think he means. My basic reasoning is that IF Gruber knew about the iPad 3, that's not at all how he would reveal that info. He'd sneak something like that into a big "I know but I won't admit it" joke post. It wouldn't be a random side comment on an HP post.

So, no, he's not really saying anything about the iPad 3.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
yes, i know, it would be unusual for apple. but because of all the rumors about the retina display for the iPad ... maybe they are going for a minor update for the ipad 2 in april and then release the retina display ipad in october or so.

There is often a giant chasm between what people wish Apple would do and what Apple actually does

Before the first iPad came out, the rumors were all about what people wanted it to be... wishful thinking

Same here
People want the retina display and since they are apparently not going to get it, they invent new rumors to justify why they aren't getting it and to believe it is just around the corner again.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I think he's saying if the iPad 3 is going to be released around 6 months later, why bother getting the Touchpad?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I'm going to go against MacDawg (woof!) and state I think it's at least a possibility.

Yes, I know all about Apple's history with refresh cycles, so let's not go there.

But, as we've all been warned before, "Past performance does not mean future results."

If SJ sees a way to dominating this new part of the computing industry, he'll do it. If it means breaking convention on refresh cycles, so be it.

We've already gotten the leak that the iPad2 is in production. I'll give this leak credence due to the source (WSJ). Now, for sure I don't know how many weeks they need to get ready for a launch, but my gut feel is that they won't need until April to build up launch stock.

Does it perhaps mean a March 1 launch? And, if that's the case, could we then figure on an iPad 3 launch in the holiday season?

This is interesting, and I won't glibly dismiss the possibility with the wave of my hand.

Now, if we don't hear anything until April, then I'd go back to thinking that we're on the once-a-year update track. But Gruber's also a good leak source so I won't discount that easily either.

We'll see, and I consider this all fun speculation. If I'm wrong, no big deal - unlike some other posters who repeatedly and violently stated that there would never, ever, ever be an iPhone on Verizon... :D

krustofski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
one more thought: is the ipad just "a bigger ipod touch"? = annual release cycle

or will it become apple's smallest macbook? = specs updates every six month

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America

Retina display for the iPad? That's crazy. I don't think we'll ever see a "Retina" display like the iPhone 4 for the iPad. Retina display is way too expensive as well, and releasing an iPad 2 and then a few months later an iPad 3 with retina display will only be more expensive.

But i think iPad 3 (next year) will have a resolution bump.

To answer your question, i think the iPad will be a giant iPod touch for a few years.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Not a chance Apple would do that

My question, which you were quoting, wasn't about what Apple would do, but what Gruber was saying.

Many here seems to think that Gruber was referring to the release of iPad 3 in 2012, but what I meant was that Gruber is saying that Apple will align iPad product cycle with the iPod, in time for the holidays.

Now, that IS what Gruber was saying (exactly like I originally thought), because he followed it up with this:

Apple doesn’t announce much about what they’re going to do in the future. But, they’ve become a very predictable company regarding the schedule for new hardware — at least in the consumer space. New iPods come in the fall, at an event in September, timed to hit full production for the holiday season. New iPhones are announced at WWDC in June and ship soon thereafter.

[...]

So where does the iPad fit in? Last year’s iPad was announced early, in late January, and went on sale at the beginning of April. Apple was willing to announce it months in advance because they had no competition, and because they wanted to give iPhone developers time to write native iPad apps. The lack of competition was why they were willing to pre-announce the original iPhone by six months, as well.

Now that the iPad is out, though, I don’t expect to see new hardware revisions pre-announced — at least not by more than a handful of weeks. Overall, I think the iPad fits most naturally into the same schedule as the iPods: where new hardware is announced and ships in September. The iPad was a massive hit during this past holiday season.

I don’t think April is a particularly good month for an annual iPad release. I don’t think it’s a particularly bad month, either, but it doesn’t make as much sense as September. April is four months into the new year, but still feels like “early” in the year. That leads to whispers and rumors during the holiday season that people should wait. Shipping new hardware in April adds another milestone to the iOS release schedule, too.

Thus, my gut feeling is that Apple will move the iPad to a September release schedule, alongside the iPods. But they wouldn’t want to wait over a year and a half from the announcement of the original iPad to announce the second one — not with these stakes, and not with so many serious competitors trying their best to catch up.

This is what I meant when I wrote:

Or is Gruber saying that Apple will switch the product cycle for iPad to the same as iPod? In time for the holidays...

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
For a tech company Apple fears change. The exception. If they choose to label it Revolutionary. Their code word for slightly different, yet safe.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I agree with this myself.

Personally, and I know other feel different. Knowing Apple will launch a new iPad in April, four months after Christmas kills the device as a Christmas purchase for me.

People may be, often looking toward money being saved to go towards a summer vacation a couple of months after April also.

Having a launch later in the year, and still having the device feel new and fresh in the lead up to the end of year feels good. There is then no point in thinking about holding off buying one for the holiday season.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
What I didn't quote earlier was that Gruber is very clear that this time he is only guessing:

Now when I make actual guesses, some people (not unreasonably) think I’m being coy and actually releasing information that I know. Henceforth, when I say I’m guessing, I’m really guessing. That includes what I’m about to guess about the iPad hardware release schedule.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I will also say that Apple will need to telegraph its intentions if it does release both the iPad 2 and iPad 3 this year.

There would be too many people who would bank on a yearly (or near-yearly) release that would be upset by a quick follow-on release.

Nothing major would need to be said, just something like "and watch for more products in this space this year" and people would understand what was meant.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
For a tech company Apple fears change. The exception. If they choose to label it Revolutionary. Their code word for slightly different, yet safe.

You're nuts.

When the iPod Mini was one of the best selling electonic devices, they stopped making it.

When they didn't put a floppy disk in the iMac, everyone said they were crazy.

They're currently the most aggressive company I know of in their quest to eliminate optical drives.

That's "fearing change?"

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I will also say that Apple will need to telegraph its intentions if it does release both the iPad 2 and iPad 3 this year.

There would be too many people who would bank on a yearly (or near-yearly) release that would be upset by a quick follow-on release.

Nothing major would need to be said, just something like "and watch for more products in this space this year" and people would understand what was meant.

I'm not sure if Apple would ever do this, but I'd expect they would just delay a April launch till the fall, as opposed to doing an April and a fall launch of to revisions in one year.

Apple fans will still wait, and would give Apple more time, another 6 months? to upgrade the spec that year.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
What I didn't quote earlier was that Gruber is very clear that this time he is only guessing:

Now when I make actual guesses, some people (not unreasonably) think I’m being coy and actually releasing information that I know. Henceforth, when I say I’m guessing, I’m really guessing. That includes what I’m about to guess about the iPad hardware release schedule.

By the way, I was thinking the same thing as Mr. Gruber before I read what he had to say. Great minds think alike, etc :p

It just makes a lot of sense.

A (mildly) disappointing iPad 2 is not going to get people excited, and there's competition on the way. I just can't see Jobs ceding this market that he created. So maybe there's reason for a relatively unprecedented non-cadenced upgrade cycle.

He's been there before, I think it's one of the things that drives him now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.