Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I been planning to transfer all my printed portfolio artwork to digital format to present them on my iPad when I go on job interviews. Going paperless means a greener environment, saves a lot of time from having to get your stuff updated and printed each and every time you need to add to your portfolio. Easier to manage. I think it's safe to assume that a lot of things are going digital these days and believe that an iPad would be well suited for this. I just wish there was a decent portfolio app for it.

Not to mention I think it shows the employer or whoever does the interviewing that you're in tune with the modern world of technology, and if your work sells itself, it doesn't matter how you present it.

Would love to here your feedback on this.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Not only that, but I'm using my iPad to show clients design roughs.

I've been snooping around the App Store for a decent portfolio app. All of them are mainly geared towards photography, but perhaps would work well for design also.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a portfolio app because I don't have the time, so for now I either load images into iPad's Photo, or make a PDF and load it into iBooks. That seems to be working well for the moment, but down the road (when I have time) I plan on purchasing one of the dedicated portfolio apps. Not sure which one, however.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I'm planning to get a slate although it won't be an iPad as I want 720p widescreen. My animations will fit better on this screen size and will not have the black bars that would be left on the iPad.

Main reasons for buying one - I like new toys :) it's lighter and it's easier to handle with the client.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I am torn on this one... generally I don't like it when people present me static print work on a laptop screen... and the ipad is quite a bit smaller than that.

But it makes more sense if a good chunk of your portfolio is interaction design and animation... this is how I have seen people use them to present... the ipad gets pulled out to show dynamic media... in this context it is much more seamless then whipping out a laptop.

I would be interested in doing that, but the performance of the ipad (in the context of working with javascript/canvas) is so poor that it is not the best platform to show off that type of work, and many of the other types of media I work on are unsupported.

If you are looking to make a portfolio on iPad I would point you to Keynote or an interactive PDF. We do quite a bit of both when we prototype iOS apps before development.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Well for graphic designers, having your work presented on a portable device like the iPad seems like a terrific idea to me. There's always going to be pros and cons to each side. But the pros seem to outweigh the cons when comparing it to a traditional portfolio. One major pro is convenience. You can have multiple portfolios all on one device. Let's say you do photography as well as print work. You can have both on one device and let's not forget how much easier it is to update your stuff. Especially print work. Going green is a good thing. The only con is the interviewer won't be able to physically hold or touch your work. Not that it really matters anymore. To me it all comes down to how you present yourself and your work. Presentation is important and if you're work is that good, then it shouldn't matter. It should speak for itself no matter if it's presented on a touch screen device such as the iPad or traditionally viewed in a portfolio book.

Really hope someone out there will make a great portfolio app that caters to creative professionals wishing to present their work.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
It's a neat idea in theory, but I do see some large drawbacks to presenting on an iPad. In the last interview I had, I was actually showing a few pieces that were printed on specific paper. And the tactile experience does play a significant role in presenting an identity. It's one thing to see a picture of a business card. It's another to pick it up and flip it around.

Also, how much control do you have over the colors of the images on your iPad screen? For that matter, if someone ever showed me an ipod with a bunch of fingerprints and smudges on the reflective screen, I'd be a bit taken aback.

And the screen isn't really conducive to showing full page ads or posters. I think you lose some impact when they're shrunk down.

So maybe I'm a little old-fashioned. Maybe I still print things. Maybe my portfolio is still carefully spray-mounted on black matboard. Maybe I still haven't quite learned to make a webpage yet. Just shut up and let me read my newspaper, okay? :D

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I see your point and completely understand your arguments. I agree that strong work should transcend how it is presented...

I do a good deal of interviewing young graphic designers during the year (I have 16 interviews slated for this month and the next), and am invited to two or three different design schools around the US each year to evaluate student portfolios.

Prospective designers only get an interview with me after they have been vetted via some sort of online portfolio... so when they walk into an interview I have already seen thier work in some small, digital form... so, the in-person interview then gives me and the team I am interviewing with the opportunity to really get into the physicalness of the work... take in their sense of craft, how the work sequences or unfolds, etc... In the context of print work and certain types of industrial design I want to experience the work.

Of course, I also want to see how they present it... and I just don't think that some print work presents well on-screen. They might as well present their portfolio off of their website.

I admit that I am a rare and dying breed however... while my studio does not do very much print work anymore, if you are going to show it to me, do it right!

Of course, it also depends on the audience... some people will be "wowed" by seeing work on the iPad and be more focused on the device than your work... In my studio the majority of graphic designers are developers as well, so when someone pulls out an iOS device, they want to see it used in a new and creative way.

All that being said, I will admit that I have presented off my iPad before, but I usually plug into a projector and hide the iPad away.. again, its about the content, not the device...

Taking a different tack, what features would your dream iOS "design portfolio presentation" app have that does not exist in Keynote or PDF, for example?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I see your point and completely understand your arguments. I agree that strong work should transcend how it is presented...

I do a good deal of interviewing young graphic designers during the year (I have 16 interviews slated for this month and the next), and am invited to two or three different design schools around the US each year to evaluate student portfolios.

Prospective designers only get an interview with me after they have been vetted via some sort of online portfolio... so when they walk into an interview I have already seen thier work in some small, digital form... so, the in-person interview then gives me and the team I am interviewing with the opportunity to really get into the physicalness of the work... take in their sense of craft, how the work sequences or unfolds, etc... In the context of print work and certain types of industrial design I want to experience the work.

Of course, I also want to see how they present it... and I just don't think that some print work presents well on-screen. They might as well present their portfolio off of their website.

I admit that I am a rare and dying breed however... while my studio does not do very much print work anymore, if you are going to show it to me, do it right!

Of course, it also depends on the audience... some people will be "wowed" by seeing work on the iPad and be more focused on the device than your work... In my studio the majority of graphic designers are developers as well, so when someone pulls out an iOS device, they want to see it used in a new and creative way.

All that being said, I will admit that I have presented off my iPad before, but I usually plug into a projector and hide the iPad away.. again, its about the content, not the device...

Taking a different tack, what features would your dream iOS "design portfolio presentation" app have that does not exist in Keynote or PDF, for example?

Appreciate the response and totally aware of your reasoning. I don't think anyone is wrong here. I think either way is great. As far as my dream portfolio app on the iPad. It would have the ability to have multiple portolios, customizability, great user interface and design is probably the most important to me.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho

I have never worked with Keynote, and am interested to know how well it works for this purpose. Can it be made interactive, allowing the user to advance at their own speed, enlarge images, etc.? I assume it is customizable in terms of appearance.

What is the process? Do you create the presentation in Keynote on the computer and then transfer it to the presentation device? Or do you use the iOS version of Keynote to build it? Do you need the iOS Keynote to run the presentation, or can it be a self-running file?

As far as PDF goes, is there a way to view them that doesn't involve storing them in iBook? That's the major drawback for me right now.

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
The idea is good, the premise is bad...

The majority of advertising agencies still put out a great deal of prints, they aren't presenting next seasons clothing line on holographic or billboard sized screens (only). They rely on the traditional print from some italian printer to communicate these products.

When you come around with your ipad folio, they have to keep in mind that all though it looks sweet, what they see on that screen is nothing like they will see when the items are on print.
That would unsettle me if I was an AD instead of a photographer.

Digi-only is still mostly for amateurs and enthusiasts who's not likely to do a proper print any time soon.
The only way that I could be sure that someone can deliver decent material for print is to see their work in print.

Glossy screens are the big liars of the industry, but people get enchanted by their nice looking delivery (contrast and sat)... too bad really, the only real way to adjust colors is to do it on an anti-glare screen.
That's why I love my Eizo screen...

But having said all this... once the industry puts out +50% of their material as digital, I will be the first in line to get a digi folio :)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Well though I agree with most of the post I do have to say if you're a print designer then an iPad probably wont be the best idea..

With that said though, I am 100% digital and all my project over the last 7 years have been for either TV or web so it makes intrinsic sense that an iPad would serve it's purpose for me far better than an hardcopy CV.

I think more than anything it's an industry expectation also demographic, I can show client or prospective employers animations, wireframes, mock ups, etc which suits my needs 100% but it wouldn't really translate to the tactile nature of print.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
It is definitely lower class than bringing in actual printed work. Think of it as presenting work to a customer, if they are paying a lot of money for a project they better be printed out and mounted in a professional matter. Presenting expensive projects on an ipad is a joke. Theres much lower expectations with portfolios but you will be at a disadvantage compared to the person who printed things out.

woodypop

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Showoff - Portfolio App for iPad

Hi, since the iPad one was released I've been looking for a good portfolio app, its now been over three years right? I think its better to bring your iPad then the computer to job interviews, but it hasn't been as good as I've wanted it to be. So I got sick of it and made one myself! and yesterday it was finally released on AppStore. Search for Showoff and you will find it. Hope you like it! And please give me all feedback you have if there is something you don't like or would like to have in the next version! Here is a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/showoff-design/id568896289?mt=8

I been planning to transfer all my printed portfolio artwork to digital format to present them on my iPad when I go on job interviews. Going paperless means a greener environment, saves a lot of time from having to get your stuff updated and printed each and every time you need to add to your portfolio. Easier to manage. I think it's safe to assume that a lot of things are going digital these days and believe that an iPad would be well suited for this. I just wish there was a decent portfolio app for it.

Not to mention I think it shows the employer or whoever does the interviewing that you're in tune with the modern world of technology, and if your work sells itself, it doesn't matter how you present it.

Would love to here your feedback on this.

----------

I just realized that I should have written this to you, I tried to find a way to send you a direct message but couldn't find it, so I hope they wont report me for spam for sending you this again...

Hi, since the iPad one was released I've been looking for a good portfolio app, its now been over three years right? I think its better to bring your iPad then the computer to job interviews, but it hasn't been as good as I've wanted it to be. So I got sick of it and made one myself! and yesterday it was finally released on AppStore. Search for Showoff and you will find it. Hope you like it! And please give me all feedback you have if there is something you don't like or would like to have in the next version! Here is a link:

and you can get more information at http://www.getshowoff.com

Not only that, but I'm using my iPad to show clients design roughs.

I've been snooping around the App Store for a decent portfolio app. All of them are mainly geared towards photography, but perhaps would work well for design also.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a portfolio app because I don't have the time, so for now I either load images into iPad's Photo, or make a PDF and load it into iBooks. That seems to be working well for the moment, but down the road (when I have time) I plan on purchasing one of the dedicated portfolio apps. Not sure which one, however.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Hey thank you so much for this. I will defnitely check this app out. I bought a few portfolio apps only to discover that the developer is no longer active. :( Sigh what a waste of money. Glad to see you doing something about the needs of creative professionals who need this kind of application! :)

woodypop

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks a lot! Please let us know what you think and what features you would like us to develop next, you can send the feedback through the app, on our facebook page or directly to this email elithapps@gmail.com

and no waste of money since it's free ;)

Hey thank you so much for this. I will defnitely check this app out. I bought a few portfolio apps only to discover that the developer is no longer active. :( Sigh what a waste of money. Glad to see you doing something about the needs of creative professionals who need this kind of application! :)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX

and you can get more information at http://www.getshowoff.com

This looks really slick, I'll definitely check it out and give you some feedback. Thanks!

vigorblade

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
New York, NY
Not compatible without iOS 6

This looks like something I was looking for and was about to try it out, but then I see it needs iOS 6. Unfortunately, my iPad is jailbroken, hopefully I remember this app once the new jailbreak is out.

sweetchilliphil

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
It's good for, say a sudden, on the spot interview.

However, I would say don't use it as your primary source. Unless you work primarily as a UI designer or animator, touting in a large, quality portfolio gives you an edge.

You need to remember who you are being interviewed by. A lot of designers, still love the print era. Nice papers, good inks etc. Some works also simply look better when blown up to a nice A3 size. Unless you're a Motion graphic artist primarily or digital designer, don't chuck away your print portfolio. Keep that for your interviews and exhibitions.

When I had my first interviews after Uni, I spent a lot of time on good prints that were intelligent, creative and smart. I had a small package I would give to my prospective employers that had in it a small booklet (that folded out into a large poster) my business card, a small cardstock with my feature design, a CD and one of those small badges with my logo. The great thing about print is they generally keep it around. Why is this important? Even if you don't get the job, later on there may be a moment they do need someone. And, if you're still freeloading about, they'll go "hey, who was that guy again? Wait, I kept his promo stuff..." and they'll marvel at it and call you. See? Physical stuff, like a well made apple product, is still appreciated. Well crafted folios even more so.

So, before you throw everything out in favour of an iPad, I strongly suggest you don't. A bit of both helps. I am a Motion graphic designer now and use my iPad more because I have videos to show, but my print work still comes out for illustration jobs, and look far better on big paper, than on a smaller screen.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
If your in full time employment its impractical to have a physical printed portfolio. So traditionaly you would present from a laptop. If you dont have access to a laptop then an ipad is ok but it doesn't have the screen size to do it justice. The bottom line is borrow a 17" laptop....failing that an ipad is ok.

PS make sure your presentaion is slick and not disjointed. i have mine on a dark background set as a camera roll and just flick through them one at a time. you can even have detail close ups on the next page .

woodypop

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
It's good for, say a sudden, on the spot interview.

However, I would say don't use it as your primary source. Unless you work primarily as a UI designer or animator, touting in a large, quality portfolio gives you an edge.

You need to remember who you are being interviewed by. A lot of designers, still love the print era. Nice papers, good inks etc. Some works also simply look better when blown up to a nice A3 size. Unless you're a Motion graphic artist primarily or digital designer, don't chuck away your print portfolio. Keep that for your interviews and exhibitions.

When I had my first interviews after Uni, I spent a lot of time on good prints that were intelligent, creative and smart. I had a small package I would give to my prospective employers that had in it a small booklet (that folded out into a large poster) my business card, a small cardstock with my feature design, a CD and one of those small badges with my logo. The great thing about print is they generally keep it around. Why is this important? Even if you don't get the job, later on there may be a moment they do need someone. And, if you're still freeloading about, they'll go "hey, who was that guy again? Wait, I kept his promo stuff..." and they'll marvel at it and call you. See? Physical stuff, like a well made apple product, is still appreciated. Well crafted folios even more so.

So, before you throw everything out in favour of an iPad, I strongly suggest you don't. A bit of both helps. I am a Motion graphic designer now and use my iPad more because I have videos to show, but my print work still comes out for illustration jobs, and look far better on big paper, than on a smaller screen.

Good feedback. Certainly, if you're doing illustrations or artwork, good quality paper or other means of physical presentation of your work can make a greater impact. The focus with Showoff though is, as of now at least, to present graphical user interfaces for web and/or mobile devices. Especially an iPhone design will probably be better presented in Showoff when scrolled within an actual iPhone size screen, than on a nice sheet of paper. At least to most clients. But you do have a point in the case of lasting impact in an interview.

----------

This looks like something I was looking for and was about to try it out, but then I see it needs iOS 6. Unfortunately, my iPad is jailbroken, hopefully I remember this app once the new jailbreak is out.

Yes, the iOS 6 barrier is unfortunate, we will remedy this in future updates. Stay tuned. We'll see if we at Elith Apps or the jail breaking scene deliver first :)

sweetchilliphil

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
Good feedback. Certainly, if you're doing illustrations or artwork, good quality paper or other means of physical presentation of your work can make a greater impact. The focus with Showoff though is, as of now at least, to present graphical user interfaces for web and/or mobile devices. Especially an iPhone design will probably be better presented in Showoff when scrolled within an actual iPhone size screen, than on a nice sheet of paper. At least to most clients. But you do have a point in the case of lasting impact in an interview.

----------

Yes, the iOS 6 barrier is unfortunate, we will remedy this in future updates. Stay tuned. We'll see if we at Elith Apps or the jail breaking scene deliver first :)

Oh, without a doubt. when it comes to UI design, definitely use your iPad or laptop. You want to show off how dynamic your coding or deigns can be. Otherwise, there's something magical about print still. And I know agencies love some print stuff now and again still. I know I do if I interview people ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.