Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I'm not sure if Apple would ever do this, but I'd expect they would just delay a April launch till the fall, as opposed to doing an April and a fall launch of to revisions in one year.

Ahhh... but see, the next iPad (iPad 2? iPad S?) is already being manufactured. No way would those be warehoused until September.

So you have a fairly imminent launch coming as I type this, and one that doesn't have a lot of people excited, if the leaks are accurate. I just can't see Apple waiting 18 some months to release another product.

Apple fans or not, that's not going to work.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
You're nuts.

When the iPod Mini was one of the best selling electonic devices, they stopped making it.

When they didn't put a floppy disk in the iMac, everyone said they were crazy.

They're currently the most aggressive company I know of in their quest to eliminate optical drives.

That's "fearing change?"

And don't forget Flash.

John Gruber's idea that an iPad 3 or iPad 2 pro being released in September is quite interesting. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense though. The iPad right now just seems like an in-between device. You use the iPad for web browsing and whatever people do on their iPads. But the Mac computers are for real work and whatever people do on Macs.

It's clear to me that iOS is the future for Apple, I mean imagine an iPad in just five years from now? It will probably run faster than any current computer right now. The gist of what I'm saying is, Apple sells different models of Macs with different specs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same for the iPad.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Having a 1 year fixed upgrade cycle is a pain, and a negative when it comes to the best hardware to build with.

Say Nvidea produces a great new chip you would love to do, and it's going to be ready in November, but your cut off point for your following hardware development is in October, then you won't be able to to with it, and your April launch model will not have the chip that was ready in November, you will then have to wait another whole year, whilst others (Android) with many manufacturers will bring out items with the new Nvidea chip that you had to turn down, perhaps just shortly after your launch, making your product looks bit poor perhaps.

You really want to launch a new item when the hardware comes together and is available, not have to wait up to a whole year and your next refresh.

I realise one company cannot launch 20 versions in one year, however, perhaps sometimes it would be worth delaying a launch, perhaps just a few weeks to catch the next big thing.

Not always, but sometimes.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
You're nuts.

When the iPod Mini was one of the best selling electonic devices, they stopped making it.

When they didn't put a floppy disk in the iMac, everyone said they were crazy.

They're currently the most aggressive company I know of in their quest to eliminate optical drives.

That's "fearing change?"

They only want to get rid of physical media because of their iTunes store. Which is exactly why there isn't Blu-Ray on the Mac. And Blu-Ray as a format [not in convience of a DD] is many times better than anything iTunes offers.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Having a 1 year fixed upgrade cycle is a pain, and a negative when it comes to the best hardware to build with.

Say Nvidea produces a great new chip you would love to do, and it's going to be ready in November, but your cut off point for your following hardware development is in October, then you won't be able to to with it, and your April launch model will not have the chip that was ready in November, you will then have to wait another whole year, whilst others (Android) with many manufacturers will bring out items with the new Nvidea chip that you had to turn down, perhaps just shortly after your launch, making your product looks bit poor perhaps.

You really want to launch a new item when the hardware comes together and is available, not have to wait up to a whole year and your next refresh.

I realise one company cannot launch 20 versions in one year, however, perhaps sometimes it would be worth delaying a launch, perhaps just a few weeks to catch the next big thing.

Not always, but sometimes.

Unfortunately, every company works on its own timetable (and sometimes that timetable is driven by some other subcontractor). So "another 3 weeks for a new video chip" or "just 4 more weeks for an updated display" doesn't work when you have to lock in pricing and manufacturing commitments. This isn't some guy putting together Heathkit iPads in the back room. The device has to be prototyped and working months before release and it takes a while to set up manufacturing as well. You have to pick your dates well in advance and work out distribution issues as well. If a new innovation comes out a day after you start shipping, you suck it up and incorporate it into the next model.

Roads8

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
I really like the idea, but I personally don't think that they will make it in one big jump. I feel like it is more likely that they will release new iPads a month or 2 later every year to eventually (over 2-3 years) line up with the iPods. This way they can maintain their "refresh every year" while pushing into a more suitable timeframe. It is not like the iPad is going away anytime soon...

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
1) You're nuts.

2) When the iPod Mini was one of the best selling electonic devices, they stopped making it.

3) When they didn't put a floppy disk in the iMac, everyone said they were crazy.

4) They're currently the most aggressive company I know of in their quest to eliminate optical drives.

5) That's "fearing change?"
1) Why are you so emotional & insecure you start an attack?

2) This was a mistake

3) Only old school fanboys

4) Nothing but talk.

5) Yes it is.

dev10051981

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
iPad 3? Apple television? iTunes in the cloud? A touchscreen iMac?

A few days ago, we heard from a very good source that Apple was assembling the pieces for a “big fall surprise”. While intriguing, that could obviously mean anything. But the “surprise” part clearly means it’s something beyond the regular iPod/iTunes (and perhaps MacBook Air) refreshes that Apple does in the fall. Still, that leaves a lot of room for guesses. An actual Apple television? iTunes in the cloud? A touchscreen iMac? Who knows?

Well, until today. We’ve now heard that this “fall surprise” is related to this would-be iPad 3. We don’t have any more concrete information beyond that. But, as of right now, the plan is apparently to release one iteration of the iPad in the next few weeks. And then blow the doors open with another new version in the fall.TechCrunch

Would you be upset if you bought an iPad 2 in spring and Apple fielded an iPad 3 in fall, or do you just want new Apple tech as fast as possible?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
My theory is the so called September iPad 3 will be an iPad 2 Pro with retina and $999 base.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I see no problem with this. It makes sense that apple wants to move the cycle to fall. Maybe this is why iPad 2 is only getting few upgrades.

To those of you complain... why? There are bunch of android phones that come out every months from same manufacturer. Will it be different with tablets? No. They are going to release them every months.

This is good. Release iPad 3 this September/October. Apple will be done with Mac OS lion by then. Time for iPods and iPads. Bring it on.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
My theory is the so called September iPad 3 will be an iPad 2 Pro with retina and $999 base.

Great, giant iPad with a retina display for a grand, sign me up (rolls eyes).

I want an iPad and admit that a big ipod touch isn't bad, and actually in a lot of ways is really exciting (obviously because it's based on a limitless number of apps from developers). But lets not forget that it IS a big ipod touch, and until apple adds a LOT more functionality (full file system, usb, etc...) there is no way in hell they can sell a retina display equipped one for $1000. Maybe add an extra $100 on the price of each model and have it as an option (the actually cost to apple for the screen is probably like 10-30$ extra, so they are making huge profits just by adding an option everyone wants anyways).

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
Apple did something similar with the iphone. Looking at the release schedule on the buyers guide you can see thatt the 1year release schedule was only after the first two iterations of the phone.

6/2010
6/2009
7/2008
2/2008
9/2007

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
There's some mileage in this theory.

1) An annual April release is a problem for Apple. Because a savvy public knows that a new model is coming during the previous holiday period. This timing discourages Christmas buyers.

2) The iOS annual upgrade is in sync with the iPhone release. Which means the April iPad will is launched running an outdated version of the previous year's software. Not smart.

3) The iPod touch release date is diminishing in significance.

By pushing the iPad annual release back to the iPod touch release. Apple goes to just two iDevice releases a year. And gets time to tune the iPhone and iPad operating software. And when the holidays come round, the iPad will be a NEW device, and not an old one.

I think Gruber's on to something.

C.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That makes zero business sense.

Why take the time and cost to update the iPad, and the start costs to redesign the manufacturing equipment only to have a limited run of iPads, i.e., being replaced with the iPad3.

If you look at apple's history and how they do things, they were never the type of company to push our update after update. In fact the opposite is usually the complaint against them.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
That makes zero business sense.

Why take the time and cost to update the iPad, and the start costs to redesign the manufacturing equipment only to have a limited run of iPads, i.e., being replaced with the iPad3.

If you look at apple's history and how they do things, they were never the type of company to push our update after update. In fact the opposite is usually the complaint against them.

The rescheduling of the annual iPad release from April to September makes great business sense.

Releasing two iPads versions in the same year is more of a problem.

C.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
There's some mileage in this theory.

1) An annual April release is a problem for Apple. Because a savvy public knows that a new model is coming during the previous holiday period. This timing discourages Christmas buyers.

2) The iOS annual upgrade is in sync with the iPhone release. Which means the April iPad will is launched running an outdated version of the previous year's software. Not smart.

3) The iPod touch release date is diminishing in significance.

By pushing the iPad annual release back to the iPod touch release. Apple goes to just two iDevice releases a year. And gets time to tune the iPhone and iPad operating software. And when the holidays come round, the iPad will be a NEW device, and not an old one.

I think Gruber's on to something.

C.

This makes a lot sense.

What doesn't make so much sense is releasing the iPad 2 in a few weeks time and then releasing the iPad 3 in September.

DukeOfHunslet

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Hunslet, England
I think Mr Gruber is trying to poop all over Apple's iPad 2 launch by suggesting that people should not buy it and wait for iPad 3.

...thereby screwing up Apples sales cycle...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.