Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saucy1360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
So i was about to jailbreak using green poison when i plugged my phone in and itunes wouldn't recognize it.. it would start charging but you act like you were taking the cord in and out, basically just going crazy.

now i finally got it to connect and its asking me to restore. this would take forever so i'm trying to avoid it in any way possible. does anyone know of anything i can do here?

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
Can you update the software in iTunes? If so, and you wanted to update the iOS anyway, then try to update. Then you can try to jailbreak from there. Otherwise, if your phone is working correctly in all other regards, wait for about a week when Apple will release iOS 4.3. just keep an eye out for updates on jailbreaks for that. Some jailbreak developers are waiting for 4.3 to come out since it's so close & they don't want to waste a good exploit for an outdated version of firmware.

saucy1360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
so my phone was acting fine until just now. i jailbroke it using green poison for 4.2, and it's doing the same thing it was doing before. usually it reacts if i move the usb cable around a little bit (but its not that, i've tried several). what do i have to do to stop this? could it be that it's jailbroken? is there a cydia app that could cause it? I really don't want to have to restore my phone but i will if i have to.

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
so my phone was acting fine until just now. i jailbroke it using green poison for 4.2, and it's doing the same thing it was doing before. usually it reacts if i move the usb cable around a little bit (but its not that, i've tried several). what do i have to do to stop this? could it be that it's jailbroken? is there a cydia app that could cause it? I really don't want to have to restore my phone but i will if i have to.

What Cydia apps do you have on your phone? Are you using an Apple USB/sync cable or some other brand? Are you still running iOS 4.1 or 4.2.1? I'm not 100% sure that Greenpois0n is designed to jailbreak 4.1.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
What Cydia apps do you have on your phone? Are you using an Apple USB/sync cable or some other brand? Are you still running iOS 4.1 or 4.2.1? I'm not 100% sure that Greenpois0n is designed to jailbreak 4.1.

The OP says he JB on 4.2. Also GP jailbreaks 4.1 just fine as well.

@OP Was it recognizing when you were are stock 4.2.1?

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
The OP says he JB on 4.2. Also GP jailbreaks 4.1 just fine as well.

@OP Was it recognizing when you were are stock 4.2.1?

He said he was using GP for 4.2, but didn't specifically say that he had upgraded to iOS 4.2. Plus, if GP works on 4.1, then his upgrade & jailbreak appear to have not changed anything since it's doing the same thing. This makes me think it could be his choice of cables. I have a Duracell brand of charge cable that can't sync with a PC. If his phone acts the same with all of his cables (including the Apple cable), then it may be a problem with the phone itself.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
He said he was using GP for 4.2, but didn't specifically say that he had upgraded to iOS 4.2. Plus, if GP works on 4.1, then his upgrade & jailbreak appear to have not changed anything since it's doing the same thing. This makes me think it could be his choice of cables. I have a Duracell brand of charge cable that can't sync with a PC. If his phone acts the same with all of his cables (including the Apple cable), then it may be a problem with the phone itself.

@OP It looks like it's the process of elimination game for you:p

saucy1360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
sorry for the late reply, totally forgot i posted about this...

let me clear things up. not sure what software version i was on when i posted this, but i am on 4.2.1 jailbroken with GP right now and I still have the issue. i'm using a plain old apple usb cable that came with my phone.

what happens is, it seems like whenever i move the cord around (maybe its a coincidence), my phone either connects or disconnects. it'll still be plugged in but sometimes i'll vibrate and show the charging battery or sometimes it'll look like it always does when it isn't plugged in.

i actually plugged it in a second ago and it is syncing but the "Sync in Progress" thing isn't up.. however that might be because i'm using lockinfo with a weather plugin (don't remember the name of it). it's not a huge issue as i can usually get it to work, but it'd be nice to get it fixed.

edit: actually it definitely is something to do with the dock connector.. i just picked up my phone while it was plugged in and accidentally moved the cable a little, and it vibrated and the "Sync in Progress" thing showed up. odd.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.