Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pittguy578

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I went from a Droid Incredible to an Iphone this morning. I am seriously considering taking the Iphone back due to the texting issue. I love T9, and I am able to text with one hand while doing it. I am much slower with the keyboard.
Is there any way to get T9 texting on the Iphone whether its through jailbreaking or anything else? I am not sure if the Iphone and I are a match if I can't somehow do this.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I went from a Droid Incredible to an Iphone this morning. I am seriously considering taking the Iphone back due to the texting issue. I love T9, and I am able to text with one hand while doing it. I am much slower with the keyboard.
Is there any way to get T9 texting on the Iphone whether its through jailbreaking or anything else? I am not sure if the Iphone and I are a match if I can't somehow do this.

It's QWERTY or bust for the iPhone, there was a T9 app that was created not sure if it is even still around and it only worked for emails, not texts...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont think such thing exists in Cydia for the latest firmware or on stock Apple firmware keyboard versions.
You can probably get a T9 app on the appstore but you would have to type in the T9 app then copy and paste into the Messages/Email app.
Major pain IMO.

pittguy578

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I am still in shock this is not an option. I really wanted to like this phone, but if I am out and about I don't want to be having to stop to use both hands to send simple text messages. They don't even offer Swype or anything that would speed things up. I am going to give this a shot through the weekend, but it may be going back next week for an Android phone. The point of a phone is social contact/communication, and typing with both hands makes me not want to communicate.:(

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Trust me, once you get used to the iPhone keyboard for texting, you'll be left wondering how you could ever like T9 - or want this old fashioned technology to be included in a 21st century device!

mo25

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Write SJ an email and ask for swpye for the iPhone. You will be able to text with one hand again then.

Honestly swpye couldn't come any sooner.

pittguy578

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Trust me, once you get used to the iPhone keyboard for texting, you'll be left wondering how you could ever like T9 - or want this old fashioned technology to be included in a 21st century device!

Am I doing it wrong by typing letter by letter?
I am totally confused how people can say it's faster.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Write SJ an email and ask for swpye for the iPhone. You will be able to text with one hand again then.

Honestly swpye couldn't come any sooner.

I know people who really love Swype. I tried it on my HTC Incredible and couldn't really get the hang of it. I could do it, but I found it distracting since my brain and fingers are used to typing letter by letter - I found myself have to think about how things were spelled instead of instinctively typing them out.

Maybe I'm just too old to switch to Swype. But until my phone reads my thoughts, I think I'll stick to Qwerty.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Am I doing it wrong by typing letter by letter?
I am totally confused how people can say it's faster.

Are you paying attention to which letters you're pressing? Try not to. It's got a pretty good auto-correction algorithm built in, which will correct what you're typing in as you go along.

Of course this only works if you use correct english, but the same applies to T9 as far as I know?

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Am I seriously the only person in the world who uses the iPhone one handed? :confused:

I hear people complain about having to use two hands on the iPhone but I never have needed to use both hands. I can seriously just blast away one handed typing on the iPhone with either hand (using either thumb). In fact, I'm MUCH slower using both hands because I find myself trying to "think" about which thumb to use for which letter and it's just so slow.

Probably the hardest thing for "newbs" to understand/recognize when using the iPhone is that it's autocorrect feature is blazing fast. Seriously, you can just blast away and if you're even remotely close the phone will automatically correct it with amazing accuracy (although, yes, there are some quirks, but it is much better than other phones on the market). This is the main thing I've noticed that slows people down on it. They meticulously type letter by letter and if they get one wrong they erase it, rather than "trusting" it and blasting away.

And my brother is a die-hard T9 guy. He refuses to give up his clam-shell phone because he loves T9 so much!

mightygitis

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Hampton Roads
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I typed this message entirely with my left hand in portrait mode. Learning curve people?

pittguy578

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Ok it is getting better. I didn't know how the autocorrect worked..this may be tolerable. I feel like such a noob..I thought I had gotten pnwed by Steve Jobs..:) I am going to keep the phone.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Ok it is getting better. I didn't know how the autocorrect worked..this may be tolerable. I feel like such a noob..I thought I had gotten pnwed by Steve Jobs..:) I am going to keep the phone.

Glad it worked out for you, honestly, it took me a couple weeks to get used to my 2G when I first got it. I don't think I'm going to be able to go to anything else now, typing on the phone is great.

Lori30

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Iphone T9

I have the Thunderbolt and it has T9; I am thinking of switching to the IPhone (for my own personal reasons, please no comments as to whether you think that smart or stupid), but I really need the T9 on the IPhone. Have any of you had any luck getting T9 on the IPhone? Thanks!

Lori30

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
IPhone T9

I have a Thunderbolt and am wanting to switch to an IPhone (for my own personal reasons, please no comments). Have any of you had any luck in getting the T9 on the IPhone? That is the way my brain works - I want to use one hand and T9 is what works for me.

Lori30

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Okay, thanks Osad for responding. I was hoping there was an app I could use on the IPhone so I could have T9.

mainmike

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
T9 application for iPhone

Ive also been longing for T9 and Multitap (numeric) keyboard ever since i sold my Sony Ericsson and purchased my first iPhone. Unfortunately Apple won't offer T9 function for iPhone users, their sticking to the qwerty. Neither would they allow 3rd party app integration to their sms app. However, I've tried a few of them T9 application for iPhone like keypad2, smspad9, fastpad etc.), and my favorite is "MultiTap text" so far. Easy to use (pretty much like Sony Ericsson) and there is sending function like copy, sms, email and also FB and twitter. (Hopefully in future Apple would allow 3rd party app integration, that would be great!:))

In MY opinion by far the best T9 application for iphone:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multitap-text/id511916874?mt=8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.