Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

233529-macbook_pros_2010_three_sizes.jpg

In a brief report on declining shipments in Taiwan's notebook manufacturing segment, DigiTimes claims that Apple and Samsung are the only major notebook companies increasing production over the year ago quarter, with the notebook industry as a whole reportedly targeting flat production compared with the year-ago quarter and down 5-10% from last quarter.

Apple is seen as one of the biggest boosts to the notebook market, with the company reportedly seeking to as much as double production of some "hot-selling" notebook models.
Samsung has been performing better than other brands by taking up deliveries from the suppliers, the sources noted, adding that Apple reportedly is revising upward its orders with the volume of some hot-selling models being doubled.
Apple has been widely rumored to be on the verge of releasing new MacBook Pro models, which could explain such a significant ramp up in production as the company seeks to fill sales channels with the new models and stay ahead of customer demand. Despite dealing with a "design error" that has set back chipset production, Intel has announced a February 20th shipping date for the dual-core Sandy Bridge processors expected to be used in the next-generation MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Apple Doubling Production of Certain 'Hot-Selling' Notebook Models?

crain300

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
I bought my MacBook pro in Jan it is a 15 i7 core 2.66 model and I bumped the ram to 8gig it runs like a dream and does everything I want I have no regrets
I sure the new ones will be nice also
Personally I glad I bought when I did and I am very happy :D

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I would hold back on Sandy Bridge

Ivy will be a lil' better and , who wants the defect worries.

(and yes I understand only 2 SATA ports are affected)

I'm sure 0 of the SATA ports would be affected on any Macs with sandy bridge. Apple is going to put chips with defects in their stuff when they know about the defects. Intel is paying to replace all those chips, anyway.

juro

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
About time they foucsed their attentions Back To Mac.

iPads and iPhones have seemed to take over for the past year. Hope they do not neglect their computing business.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
About time they foucsed their attentions Back To Mac.

iPads and iPhones have seemed to take over for the past year. Hope they do not neglect their computing business.

+1

sick of the ipad crap. at its best its still a niche product..high sales only reflect its mass marketing. sort of like the nintendo wii.
at the end of the day, people will turn away and still go back to do real work on their MBPs.
like how most families now have a wii...but never use it

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
+1

sick of the ipad crap. at its best its still a niche product..high sales only reflect its mass marketing. sort of like the nintendo wii.
at the end of the day, people will turn away and still go back to do real work on their MBPs.

I don't think "niche" means what you think it means.

nitropowered

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Ohio
I'm sure 0 of the SATA ports would be affected on any Macs with sandy bridge. Apple is going to put chips with defects in their stuff when they know about the defects. Intel is paying to replace all those chips, anyway.

Yeah i guess Apple can buy up all the defective chips and just use the 6Gbps SATA ports since a laptop uses at most two SATA ports. Could pass on the savings (or not)

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
+1

I don't know I must admit I have seem people using the ipad for more than just watching movies.

kardiackeith

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Sweet. I can't wait to buy my first Macbook Pro. I'm converting all products to Apple. I started with the iPhone on Monday.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I hate it when people neg the posts for no reason.
Welcome to the world of Apple rumor sites.

Most of the negative voters are probably people who are still bitter that they didn't buy Apple at $40 in 2005 or $80 in 2009 or $240 in September 2010.

AAPL briefly traded at $360 today. My guess is it will crack $400 within six months.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

cvaldes said:
I hate it when people neg the posts for no reason.

Most of the negative voters are probably people who are still bitter that they didn't buy Apple at $40 in 2005 or $80 in 2009 or $240 in September 2010.

AAPL briefly traded at $360 today. My guess is it will crack $400 within six months.

Damn i could be rich if i invested, but who saw it coming? +it would give me another reason to buy apple products:)

littvay

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Totally misleading report. I would also guess that Apple doubled the production of the new Macbook Air models since they are pushing it as a mainstream machine at a mainstream price. They are probably selling twice as much too. As for the rest of the models, I can imagine a slight increase in sales but we are not talking double.

Also, if Apple is going to have a complete redesign of the Macbook Pro line up, they probably expect more sales after the refresh. (Same thing that happened with the air.) Since the most popular 13" MBP CPU has not been upgraded for a while, I am sure that increases sales expectations. I know multiple people holding out for Sandy Bridge. (Wait, I am one of them.)

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020

Because everyone plays the stock market and only base opinions on money :rolleyes:

Or they might -just not like the story for whatever reason.

But thanks for those figures !

Tell us more !

How much have you made on Apple from 2005 to now?

I love hearing about people and their money.

If a product is up in the stock market, it means I should buy it...Right??:rolleyes:

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself

Possibly but more to do with the fact the stock is priced in US Dollars. And the US Dollar is teetering towards collapse. So your AAPL stock might be $4000 pretty soon but I don't think you'll be getting too excited about that. :D

moosez3

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Possibly but more to do with the fact the stock is priced in US Dollars. And the US Dollar is teetering towards collapse. So your AAPL stock might be $4000 pretty soon but I don't think you'll be getting too excited about that. :D
Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

I am glad to see that Apple still cares about laptops!
:D

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Jobs was seen at McDonalds, ordering a double bacon cheesburger, fries and a shake. He was wearing a full length fur coat and was smoking unfiltered Camels in the parking lot.

He was driving a Humvee with extra big wheels and lots of extra lights. He was overheard bragging that the lights would cause deer to freeze and made them easy to shoot.

He had a case of 50 year-old scotch, but the teenage girls he was talking up didn't know what that was and decided to go off with a guy with a bottle of weed cola, vodka and rock star energy drink.

"I sold every share" Jobs yelled, "I have 52.3 billion dollars!"

This insider selling is what triggered the little decline.

BTW, I bought and held at $14...wish I had bought and held more shares!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.