Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twkidM3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
So, I've been a PC guy for all my life and never really understood the rave about Mac computers and why people consider them. Recently bought an ipad for general purpose browsing and just to place around. I was really surprised at the build quality and how it performed and was interested to steer my PC direction to a Mac.

My current setup is:
Asus Ul30VT-X1 - BLACK

* Clean installed Windows 7 Home Premium on new SSD
* 4gb of Ram, Intel x25-M 80gb G2, Intel Integrated + G210M Graphics Card.
* Bought an additonal External Enclosure for the 500GB HDD that came with the laptop

How would a MBA 13 Ultimate compare to my current setup? My current computer can be "turboed" at a single touch of a button from 1.2ghz to 1.83ghz.

I'm looking for small form factor at 13in and the MBA seems like a winning candidate, well besides the Vaio Z.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Based on specs alone, you should see a significant performance increase (both the CPU and GPU are better). Also, the SSD in a 13" MBA is larger and faster than the Intel X-25 M series (not that Intel isn't terrific - I have one in my MBP). However, you are paying a significant amount more on the Air. If you have the money, it'll be well worth it.

shazzam

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
If u are coming from Windows then go try out Mac OS X before laying down the money. If it does what u want it to do and can afford it then Macs are GREAT.

twkidM3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
If u are coming from Windows then go try out Mac OS X before laying down the money. If it does what u want it to do and can afford it then Macs are GREAT.

this topic has been discussed probably a billion times anyways. many people say you pay to use an apple because of apple tax. but i'm fine with that. Just want to know if it's truly worth the jump.

i've never used the newer version of iOS before. But i've played with the macbook several times at the store. Knowing a lot about a PC, i don't think the switch would be very hard?

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
this topic has been discussed probably a billion times anyways. many people say you pay to use an apple because of apple tax. but i'm fine with that. Just want to know if it's truly worth the jump.

i've never used the newer version of iOS before. But i've played with the macbook several times at the store. Knowing a lot about a PC, i don't think the switch would be very hard?

If you're fine with paying a little bit more, and you're fine with OS X, then definitely make the switch. You won't be disappointed. I switched the Macs 7 years ago and never turned back. Now when I am forced to use Windows, I always feel a little... restrained.

twkidM3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
If you're fine with paying a little bit more, and you're fine with OS X, then definitely make the switch. You won't be disappointed. I switched the Macs 7 years ago and never turned back. Now when I am forced to use Windows, I always feel a little... restrained.

I think the only restrain that I actually have is finding the programs I commonly use on iOS.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
"Turbo" is pretty much a useless silly scam.
Hardware is one thing but what really matters in this scenario is OS X vs Windows. OS X makes much better use of hardware resources than Windows such as processor and memory. The SSD in the MBA was designed by Toshiba in conjunction with Apple to provide best performance for OS X.
Asus laptops are OK but not the build quality, quality control, and service support that Apple provides.
I expect the MBA to outperform your Asus with the great advantage of OS X over Windows.

So, I've been a PC guy for all my life and never really understood the rave about Mac computers and why people consider them. Recently bought an ipad for general purpose browsing and just to place around. I was really surprised at the build quality and how it performed and was interested to steer my PC direction to a Mac.

My current setup is:
Asus Ul30VT-X1 - BLACK

* Clean installed Windows 7 Home Premium on new SSD
* 4gb of Ram, Intel x25-M 80gb G2, Intel Integrated + G210M Graphics Card.
* Bought an additonal External Enclosure for the 500GB HDD that came with the laptop

How would a MBA 13 Ultimate compare to my current setup? My current computer can be "turboed" at a single touch of a button from 1.2ghz to 1.83ghz.

I'm looking for small form factor at 13in and the MBA seems like a winning candidate, well besides the Vaio Z.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.