Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Just got my refurb 27'' i3 setup and...... have a screen issue. Random pixels go dead or flash yellow whenever there is animation on a black screen. SUPER SUPER SUPER pissed.

Nov 6, 2010
Easy Fix

Easy fix, take it back. If you got it from Apple, you can take it back, even if it's a refurb. The same warranty rules apply.

Last edited by a moderator:

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Waited 9 days for this thing to get shipped. Nearest apple store us 2.5hrs away. Have 2 kids. Both my wife and I work. Nothing easy about it.

Not mad at apple. **** happens. Just pissed of the work, scheduling etc. thats gonna go into taking this thing back.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Can't replicate the issue. My wife noticed the pixel issue along with me when I first fired it up and went through all the setup processes so I know I'm not crazy. Going to keep an eye on it but for now seems to have gone away.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Can't replicate the issue. My wife noticed the pixel issue along with me when I first fired it up and went through all the setup processes so I know I'm not crazy. Going to keep an eye on it but for now seems to have gone away.

That's always the worst. If you have problems, the least they can do for you is be consistent.

Sounds like a flaky video card though. It could very well re-appear. If I were you, I'd call Apple support about it. It may not happen right away, but if it happened once, somethings not right. It's better to get on it sooner than later. Maybe they'll just send you another one, and give you a return slip to send it back. Tell them you have no local Apple Store. The worst part is you'll have to wait another week and change, but at least you can keep from constantly giving the screen a suspicious look and waiting for it to happen again.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
That's always the worst. If you have problems, the least they can do for you is be consistent.

Sounds like a flaky video card though. It could very well re-appear. If I were you, I'd call Apple support about it. It may not happen right away, but if it happened once, somethings not right. It's better to get on it sooner than later. Maybe they'll just send you another one, and give you a return slip to send it back. Tell them you have no local Apple Store. The worst part is you'll have to wait another week and change, but at least you can keep from constantly giving the screen a suspicious look and waiting for it to happen again.

You're right. Probably make a phone call tomorrow and see what they want to do about it. I'd rather drive 2.5hrs then wait another 10 days but who knows if they have refurbs at the Orlando store. Meh, I'll figure it out.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
You're right. Probably make a phone call tomorrow and see what they want to do about it. I'd rather drive 2.5hrs then wait another 10 days but who knows if they have refurbs at the Orlando store. Meh, I'll figure it out.

My experience is they usually keep refurbs in stock for exchanges. Any exchange, even for a new item, is a refurb. I exchanged a faulty iPod classic that was bought new, and I got a refurb in it's place. I think it's just how they do it. So they may very well have them. Calling the store first might be your first step. See if they have them. Then call Apple Support, and see what they say, then you can probably decide whether the drive is less hassle than waiting for another shipment. Though if you're firm but nice, and say you have clients beating down your door (whether you do or not) and deadlines to meet, they might overnight your replacement. That isn't based on ANY experience I've had or read about, just a general knowledge that good companies tend to do the right thing when a customer is in need and asks nicely.

The other side of it is, if it does appear to be acting normal, you have a year warranty so you could always wait.

But me personally, I'd nip it in the bud. I want opening a new Mac to be a mind blowing and satisfying experience, not a stressful or disappointing one.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
27" i5 refurb

OK, I ordered a 27" i5 on the 23rd of January and received within a few days. It's only been what, a couple of weeks now, and I've noticed two things:

1) On two separate nights I heard a humming noise. Not a constant humming but one that would increase slightly then back down, then increase again, then back down again...repeatedly. I Googled and discovered this is a somewhat common phenomena, so I wasn't too worried.

and

2) Yesterday after turning on the iMac and browsing the internet for a couple of hours, watching quite a few YouTubes and what not...the screen went black. I clicked the mouse and hit a few keys on the keyboard but I could not get the screen to return. I went to my iPad and Googled and read that this too is a somewhat common phenomena and to turn it off, wait a bit, then turn it back on. I also learned that setting up a hot corner in Expose to activate the screen saver is a known workaround so I set that up in case it happens again.

OK, so here's my question: Since this machine is refurb, or even if it weren't, would you worry? Should I call Apple and report it? Do they keep notes on this kind of stuff? I have a full 1-year warranty so I'm not overly concerned but if it should be replaced I would rather it be replaced now, wouldn't I?

Any advice is appreciated. I love this machine and I'm not one of those "look for things that are wrong" people. I'm easy to please, if you will.

Thanks! :)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I'd take it in and ask for an exchange. You shouldn't have to worry about workarounds and live with stuff like that.

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
My refurb i7 iMac will be here on tomorrow! Hopefully I won't have any issues with it as I'm really looking forward to it - it will be a MAJOR upgrade from my old C2D White Macbook. :)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
My refurb i7 iMac will be here on tomorrow! Hopefully I won't have any issues with it as I'm really looking forward to it - it will be a MAJOR upgrade from my old C2D White Macbook. :)

Where do you live? I'm in NY and mine is scheduled for Sat. But i see no reason why it couldnt come a day early.

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Where do you live? I'm in NY and mine is scheduled for Sat. But i see no reason why it couldnt come a day early.

I'm in Atlanta - mine went out on the 8th, and tracking currently shows tomorrow as delivery date.

BikerAlley

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Shreveport LA
Got It!

Took 10 days but I just got it and plugged it in and this is the first place I came.
Boy, Am I Pumped.. First thing I did was Look for the Yellow tint in the corner..
It's not there!!
Next thought was this keyboard is going to suck, But I'm starting to like it as well.

Hay!! what am i doing????
Im off to play and learn about this new toy...

First thing is to speed this mouse up.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Took 10 days but I just got it and plugged it in and this is the first place I came.
Boy, Am I Pumped.. First thing I did was Look for the Yellow tint in the corner..
It's not there!!
Next thought was this keyboard is going to suck, But I'm starting to like it as well.

Congrats! Always nice when it's finally in your hands. I'm in tracking limbo. Haven't had an update since Tuesday. Based on the progress of a refurb Airport Express I ordered a couple months ago I was sure they'd get this computer to me by tomorrow (Friday), but I'm not so sure.

I hate waiting for a package but the refurb price made it way worth the tradeoff.

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
It's not there!!

Congrats! Hopefully I'll be coming here on my iMac on tomorrow!

Congrats! Always nice when it's finally in your hands. I'm in tracking limbo. Haven't had an update since Tuesday. Based on the progress of a refurb Airport Express I ordered a couple months ago I was sure they'd get this computer to me by tomorrow (Friday), but I'm not so sure.

I hate waiting for a package but the refurb price made it way worth the tradeoff.

skiltrip, I'm in the same boat with no updates - mine left Sacramento and made it to Reno, NV and no updates, but still showing a tomorrow delivery so hopefully I'll see an updated status in the morning. The wait is a bit excruciating. :rolleyes:

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Congrats! Hopefully I'll be coming here on my iMac on tomorrow!

skiltrip, I'm in the same boat with no updates - mine left Sacramento and made it to Reno, NV and no updates, but still showing a tomorrow delivery so hopefully I'll see an updated status in the morning. The wait is a bit excruciating. :rolleyes:

Where do you live? Mines coming to New York. So it goes straight from Sacramento to New Jersey. But it hasn't updated to say it hit NJ yet. Usually if it gets to NJ by the evening and can get on the midnight truck to NY I will get it the next day. I'm crossing my fingers. Also because I know I'll be hone to sign tomorrow. On Saturday I'm afraid the wife is gonna want to drag me out to do stuff and I'll have to either put the dreaded pre-sign on the door or tell her no because I'm waiting for my new toy. Haha

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
I just received my iMac today and luckily no problems with the screen, although the broken styrofoam worried me, but it kept everything safe. Overall the screen is just amazing! Thanks to the community for helping me over the months.

Agizor

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Typing from my new (refurbished!) 27 i5 iMac. Zero visible defects on the exterior, and so far the PC functions 100% as intended.

Now just have to wait a few weeks and see if some weird issue crops ><

Either way, LOVING the screen, wow.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Typing from my new (refurbished!) 27 i5 iMac. Zero visible defects on the exterior, and so far the PC functions 100% as intended.

Now just have to wait a few weeks and see if some weird issue crops ><

Either way, LOVING the screen, wow.

Yeah, this screen will ruin all other screens for you.

BikerAlley

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Shreveport LA
Been playing this this thing the last 2 days, Im happy and lost as hell.
But I will get it, Im hard headed so I will not give up..
I have learned lots already but im sure I have Tons to Learn.
Its the simplest things that get you, I looked for 5 min for the Backspace.:D

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Looks like my iMac has taken the long road to NY (thru Ohio then thru Maryland). Looks like tomorrow will be the day unless they send it to Arkansas next ;)

Can't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.