Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japjoe7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Simple and straight forward question with hopefully a easy answer. I do NOT want emails I delete on my iPhone to be delete from my Outlook/exchange account. Is there a way to only delete emails on the device, but keep them in Outlook? I want the same email functionality as a blackberry, I can choose to delete my email on the device only or delete it to the exchange account as well.

EddieLucitt

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
If you have a POP3 e-mail service, you can choose to have it so your emails don't get deleted on the server when you delete it from a client. Basically the mail would be downloaded to your phone from the server, and then the messages are just downloaded files on your device. If you would like to delete the emails, you would have to get on your official email providers webmail client and delete them there.

If you are looking for a way to separate this from your iPhone and your Outlook, I can't think of a way this would work.

Hope this helped.

japjoe7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
If you have a POP3 e-mail service, you can choose to have it so your emails don't get deleted on the server when you delete it from a client. Basically the mail would be downloaded to your phone from the server, and then the messages are just downloaded files on your device. If you would like to delete the emails, you would have to get on your official email providers webmail client and delete them there.

If you are looking for a way to separate this from your iPhone and your Outlook, I can't think of a way this would work.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check and see if our Exchange server is setup for POP3.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check and see if our Exchange server is setup for POP3.
If you open your email account settings (for that particular account) on your phone, do you have a selection for "Archive Messages?
I'm not using exchange, but IMAP, which is similar, does have that setting.

japjoe7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
If you open your email account settings (for that particular account) on your phone, do you have a selection for "Archive Messages?
I'm not using exchange, but IMAP, which is similar, does have that setting.

No, I dont have that option. I don't have it setup as an IMAP, I have it setup as an exchange account.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
You could set it up to sync only so many days in the past. For example, after three days, a message would no longer show on the device but still be on the server.

japjoe7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
So, my resolution was to setup my exchange account as a POP3 account this way I can delete the email and not worry about losing what I have on my exchange account. Only problem is that it's not instant delivery, ugg!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.