Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gatorinsd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hello,

Does anybody have experience using OsiriX on a MBA? I'm either going to get a maxed out 13" MBA, or a 15" MBP. I would love the portability of the MBA, but would like to know how fast it runs OsiriX, as this will be the main program I will need to utilize. I read reviews that indicated 3D rendering and DICOM set transfer can be slow, but this was on older MBA's. Of note, I will be importing my DICOM sets from an external CD/DVD drive (not via PACS transfer).

As for the 15" versus 13" MBP - I figure if I am going to lose the low weight advantage of the MBA, I might as well get a little more screen real estate.

One more thing. For most of my viewing, I will be connected to an external monitor and will need to use a mouse (while having my external CD/DVD drive plugged in as well). I still need this computer to be portable, though, for other reasons.

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight.

smoked

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
I'm a "casual" (non-professional) user of OsiriX and just tested it out on the wife's MBA (last year's model with SSD) on a Cinema Display. Ran great. 3D rendering seemed acceptable. Works very well with a Magic Trackpad. The MBA is a great lap-top computer, but for something I use hooked up to a display all the time and needing a lot of horsepower, I'd go for the MBP.

Devildistance

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
I am a 3rd year med student who uses Osirix sparingly. I have used it on my new MBA 13" 4GB and it seamed to run just fine. I use the program a couple of times a week but its usually done on my iMac. I hate to be a homer but I really love the MBA. I made the decision to get it after the new MBP specs were announced and couldn't be happier!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.