Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andipo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Currently I have OSX 10.3.9 and Facebook will not work. I have someone willing to upgrade me to 10.5, will FB work with this? What would happen if I upgrade but only have 512 MB SDRAM? I have read that I should have 1GB?
?? Also, what would my PowerBook G4 15inch 1.5 GHz be worth??- runs good but needs a new battery, missing a key, and titanium case dented/bent a bit.

Last edited:

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Currently I have OSX 10.3.9 and Facebook will not work. I have someone willing to upgrade me to 10.5, will FB work with this? What would happen if I upgrade but only have 512 MB SDRAM? I have read that I should have 1GB?
?? Also, what would my PowerBook G4 15inch 1.5 GHz be worth??- runs good but needs a new battery, missing a key, and titanium case dented/bent a bit.

It has really has nothing to do with the OS itself. The problem is the browser you are using is outdated.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

Download that and try it. It should work fine with 10.3.9.

Andipo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
It has really has nothing to do with the OS itself. The problem is the browser you are using is outdated.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

Download that and try it. It should work fine with 10.3.9.

Thank you very much for that....would there be any real benefits of upgrading to leopard? Would that improve its value much?

Thank you very much for that....would there be any real benefits of upgrading to leopard? Would that improve its value much?

Should I remove my Safari if I download Classilla? Is there any drawback of having different browser apps?

Last edited by a moderator:

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY

Yes, Facebook works just fine under both 10.4 and 10.5, and I can confirm this because I run both and have used it without issues on both. Flash games on Facebook are another story. There's not a whole lot to help Flash on PPC.

You would (officially) need an 867mhz (or greater) processor, and 512mb of ram, according to Apple's OS 10.5 requirements page.

That's not so much for this thread, that would be more for The Marketplace to figure out. Create a "Feeler" thread for it, add a good description and some pictures, and users here will give you good and honest feedback regarding price.

On your Powerbook? Possibly. I have no problems using Leopard on the iBook G4 in my signature with 1gb of ram, and no problem using it with the higher iMac G4 in my signature with 512mb of ram.

Sure, it's slower than Tiger, but not by much, and Time Machine is priceless to me alone for the simple backups of the entire system, and peace of mind I can seamlessly restore should something happen.

Should I remove my Safari if I download Classilla? Is there any drawback of having different browser apps?

I personally wouldn't. I like having multiple browsers - I have options. There's no need to delete Safari unless you really want to. I personally have Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
The most up to date browser for Panther is Camino 1.6.11 and I would suggest using it until you have a chance to upgrade. With 512MB of RAM, I really think you should upgrade to at least 1GB before going to Leopard or even Tiger.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
-i would upgrade your ram (yours can take up to 2 gigs and install is very easy) then leopard should be just fine...and with leopard you will be able to run fb no problems.

ram max: http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/actual-maximum-ram-capacity-of-macs.html

ram install: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-15-Inch-1-5-1-67-GHz-RAM/339/1

ps: one other thing that could be slowing down your pb is the older harddrive....not to hard to change

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-15-Inch-1-5-1-67-GHz-Hard-Drive-Replacement/345/1

as far as what it might be worth...i can buy one in good shape on craigs (cdn) for about $300-400...so one such as yours with needing battery,os,dents ect???....i would just keep it and upgrade ram and get your friend to install leopard....

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
I have a g4 ibook 1.2/512 ram running leopard 10.5.8 just fine. I will be upgrading the ram shortly just to do it since i am planning on keeping it for quite some time. facebook runs just fine since i use safari 10.1.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.