Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Was moved to get back into DC recently after a long absence. Not adding anything too significant, but I still like contributing. (note that only the first two are actually mine, the rest I just have access to)

-MBP 13" 2.53 C2D (my main computer, gets used for lots of other things including video work so it's not exactly a rapid contributor right now)

-AMD X2 64 4600+ [2.4] (my 6 year old pc in a Shuttle chassis, haven't gotten around to building a new one yet, only has a 7900 series gpu so no gpu folding unfortunately)

-i7 iMac (the quad core sleeper)

-base i3 iMac

I also have access to two 2.0 C2D MacBooks but they probably aren't worth utilizing because of their sporadic use patterns combined with their relatively low speed.

I also have a PS3 which I would use if it was possible for it to fold in the background while playing games, watching movies, etc. But apparently that's not possible.

As far as a new PC goes, I'm torn between spending money on the PC or [more money] on a new 15" MBP whenever the next gen comes out.

Also I feel like I came up with a rather ingenious idea for keeping track of all of the computers' progress (from anywhere). I used a combination InCrease and Dropbox. All of the computers have Dropbox installed on them, and each computer except for the main one has a separate folder all of its own in the Dropbox folder where F@H lives for that machine. These folders are then added to InCrease for monitoring. That way whenever the log file or queue file or whatever is updated, it's immediately synced to the main computer and shows up in InCrease. That way even if I'm traveling and I want to check and see what the boxen are doing at home, I can. And it's all seamless. I'm actually pretty proud of myself for having the idea haha :)

nice. hey as long as you have permission to fold on those iMacs, we could use the points. the macbooks might not be worth it, depending on what they are used for.

as far as a PC vs mbp, that's up to you. but those new intel processors sure do seem nice. what kind of pc did you have in mind for building?

not a bad idea for keeping track of folding

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
nice. hey as long as you have permission to fold on those iMacs, we could use the points. the macbooks might not be worth it, depending on what they are used for.

as far as a PC vs mbp, that's up to you. but those new intel processors sure do seem nice. what kind of pc did you have in mind for building?

not a bad idea for keeping track of folding

Yeah I have permission to use the iMacs, they're my dad's and brother's, respectively, and they're both into helping out with this project, as my dad's father died of alzheimer's and my brother had cancer recently.

As far as the new computer goes, I will probably do one this year and the other the next, I just need to figure out which. The MBP would be a high end 15" i7 Sandy Bridge whenever those are ready. The PC would also be an i7 Sandy Bridge (2600k, probably overclocked a little) after the Sandy Bridge is ready again, with a GTX 570 most likely. Although I love building PCs I'm leaning towards getting a new MBP because I travel A LOT (literally half my year is normally spent away from home; I fly for an aerial mapping company) and I would really like to be able to play stuff like Civ V at good frame rates and would enjoy having a little bit more battery life for long airline flights. Not to mention the awesome cpu for compressing my blu ray collection and of course, folding. The kicker will be seeing how the specs for the new MBPs actually shake out, especially the gpu.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yeah I have permission to use the iMacs, they're my dad's and brother's, respectively, and they're both into helping out with this project, as my dad's father died of alzheimer's and my brother had cancer recently.

As far as the new computer goes, I will probably do one this year and the other the next, I just need to figure out which. The MBP would be a high end 15" i7 Sandy Bridge whenever those are ready. The PC would also be an i7 Sandy Bridge (2600k, probably overclocked a little) after the Sandy Bridge is ready again, with a GTX 570 most likely. Although I love building PCs I'm leaning towards getting a new MBP because I travel A LOT (literally half my year is normally spent away from home; I fly for an aerial mapping company) and I would really like to be able to play stuff like Civ V at good frame rates and would enjoy having a little bit more battery life for long airline flights. Not to mention the awesome cpu for compressing my blu ray collection and of course, folding. The kicker will be seeing how the specs for the new MBPs actually shake out, especially the gpu.

i'm sorry to hear about that. glad that you have joined this project and have them on board as well.

well hopefully the MBPs are updated sooner rather than later, but who knows with apple. hopefully the iMacs are updated soon too. once you decide on what you're going to do, let us know. if you're building a PC, we'd love to know which parts you're going with, over clocking, etc. if you get a MBP, we want to know what kind of PPD your getting

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
if you're building a PC, we'd love to know which parts you're going with, over clocking, etc. if you get a MBP, we want to know what kind of PPD your getting

I'll keep you updated. Currently I'm working on getting my 10 WU's in under my passkey (at 7 right now) and after that I'll shift the i7 iMac over to -bigadv to take advantage of the pts bonuses and then we'll see what it can really do. Hopefully some big PPD. I'm folding under the name 206pilot.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'll keep you updated. Currently I'm working on getting my 10 WU's in under my passkey (at 7 right now) and after that I'll shift the i7 iMac over to -bigadv to take advantage of the pts bonuses and then we'll see what it can really do. Hopefully some big PPD. I'm folding under the name 206pilot.

sounds good. let us know what kind of ppd that iMac gets with bigadv units.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

@ ORANGESVTGUY: please lower your folding output, you'll be overtaking me within the next 5 days... (GRMBL!! And some censored cursing: $@&#^%!!!!)

Should pass you up in less than 12 hours now :D

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Weird question, why is F@H showing up as a user level process? I remember it used to show up as a nice process when I ran it last years ago. It's set to idle level in the setup of course and I never noticed till now because it seems to be behaving as a nice process but it's not showing up as one.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Weird question, why is F@H showing up as a user level process? I remember it used to show up as a nice process when I ran it last years ago. It's set to idle level in the setup of course and I never noticed till now because it seems to be behaving as a nice process but it's not showing up as one.

I can't remember for sure, but I think there was some debate about this when leopard or snow leopard came out. Either activity monitor or the OS changed how the nice processes are reported.
I'm pretty sure it's normal and folding still gives up processing when required.

Rob

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
I can't remember for sure, but I think there was some debate about this when leopard or snow leopard came out. Either activity monitor or the OS changed how the nice processes are reported.
I'm pretty sure it's normal and folding still gives up processing when required.

Rob

That's what I thought, just thought I'd ask in case I had some weird bug.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
I have a PS3 I could get doing this if it would even be worth it?

Also just FYI, keep in mind the power consumption.

"The original PS3 model will use about 200 Watts while running Folding@home. A later model PS3 (with a 40 GB hard drive) will use about 115 Watts."

So, either 1 or 2 big light bulbs if you wanna look at it that way.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Also just FYI, keep in mind the power consumption.

"The original PS3 model will use about 200 Watts while running Folding@home. A later model PS3 (with a 40 GB hard drive) will use about 115 Watts."

So, either 1 or 2 big light bulbs if you wanna look at it that way.

Well im at school so it would be using there power :) Do these tasks kinda lock the PS3 down for a specific amount of time or what?

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Got PS3 and my MBP running them.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-14 at 2.22.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-14 at 2.22.56 PM.png
    71 KB · Views: 186

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Should pass you up in less than 12 hours now :D

Yeah, tell me about it :(
But on the other hand, I already passed a lot of people in the meantime. To bad I can't use any of the Dell's at work, then I could have given you a run for your money. They new ones are all i7's at 2,93 GHZ with a good GPU, 8 GB of ram and SSD's. So, CPU and GPU folding possible. But we need the processing power ourselves as we're a big architectural firm and need to keep the power usage as low as we can as we're already maxed (old building and the city just can't provide us with more power).:(

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Is there a place where everyone has their rig specs? I'd like to know what rwh202 has. Averaging 119k+ PPD a day :eek:

Going to sell my now-useless-to-me Quad G5 and possibly get a i7 970 6 core as they just dropped in price and possibly another GPU and sell off my 950 and 920.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Is there a place where everyone has their rig specs? I'd like to know what rwh202 has. Averaging 119k+ PPD a day :eek:

Going to sell my now-useless-to-me Quad G5 and possibly get a i7 970 6 core as they just dropped in price and possibly another GPU and sell off my 950 and 920.

Woah.... $600 is kinda tempting...:eek:

wow that is tempting! i'm tellin ya, if you can afford it, gotta get that EVGA SR-2!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
yeah you gotta have xeon processors. but still, you can overclock them! you can put out over 130,000 ppd with one machine!

That's crazy PPD. I need to see if I can find a mobo with dual non-xeon i7 sockets. Do they even make one and would be cool if I could use my 920 along with my 950 in the same box.

**added**
Guess only dual CPU are xeon based :(.

Oh well I'll be upgrading to a 6 core 970 very soon :D

Last edited:

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I thought the i-series couldnt handle a dual setup, only some of the higher end xeons. Hence no dual mobo's for i7's.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
That's crazy PPD. I need to see if I can find a mobo with dual non-xeon i7 sockets. Do they even make one and would be cool if I could use my 920 along with my 950 in the same box.

**added**
Guess only dual CPU are xeon based :(.

Oh well I'll be upgrading to a 6 core 970 very soon :D

I thought the i-series couldnt handle a dual setup, only some of the higher end xeons. Hence no dual mobo's for i7's.

yeah i think it only works with xeons. but if you can afford it, it's great for folding (and everything else)

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

We had a huge day yesterday! 879,000 points in a single day!
Can we hit a million points in a day?
Some more good news: at this rate, we are a week away from overtaking a team ahead of us, and less than a month from passing two more! Our biggest threat behind us is 8 months away, but by that time we will have passed at least 5 teams ahead of us. Great job guys! Keep it up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.