Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clivechafer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
I used Migration Assistant to move everything from my iBook G4 running 10.4.11 to my MacBook running 10.6.6, but after the process, only a few things (mostly Applications) were on the MacBook. No documents, photos, mailboxes, iTunes files,... After the Users and Documents phases (which took hours using a wireless network connection - I have no Firewire) I got a message saying some files could not be moved to my new computer, but no info as to why or which files. Can anyone help? Do I have to go in and move them manually, using the external hard drive I use for backup? Thanks.

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
bummer

thats exactly why i will never get a mac without firewire. anyway thats a common problem. upgrade your g4 to 10.5 then try to migrate again. its worked for a couple buddies of mine. if you dont have an 867mhz or faster cpu then google an app called leopard assist and run it before you install 10.5.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I would never try migrating without using Time Machine. That was honestly the easiest move to a new computer I've ever experienced. I went from my iBook with Leopard to my MacBook with Snow Leopard. The transfer was seamless, took a few hours, and everything was on my MacBook as if I was still on my iBook.

However, I would still be the sort of person to move everything using an external hard drive if I only wanted to pick and choose items. For instance, I didn't want my iMac I leave at work to have everything; just songs, a select few documents, and some other files. Other than that, Time Machine all the way. I'll never not use it - the 3 other Macs I have all have externals keeping them safe. Time Machine is one of my favorite applications ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.