Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SneakySh0rty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
DMV
Hey everyone. I've got a MBP unibody mid 2009. It's currently running OS X 10.6.6.

Alright, so my problem is this:
My laptop was on, i closed the lid and then got ready to leave my school apt to go home for the weekend. A few hours at home i took my laptop out of my bag, and opened the lid. Once opened there was no response, so i tapped the power button. I got 3 long beeps. So i held down the power button to power it down, and waited a few minutes. Then i tried turning it back on and now i get a single beep every 5 seconds with no boot up. any ideas?

Things running when i closed the lid. Had pandora playing and just finished backing up my hard drive. (external hdd connected to my apple extreme base station)

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
your RAM might be fried. take out one stick of RAM and see if it works. then try the other stick.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Your ram might be fried like the above user suggested, or you *could* have just knocked it loose by bumping it really hard or it might not have even been seated properly originally.
Thank you for the MacBook Pro model. Your RAM and disassembly is the same as this model in the link below; take the bottom cover off, take the RAM (Memory) out, then put it back in.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2010-Teardown/2212/1
As you can see in this manual, the RAM is the blue chips almost exactly in the middle.

SneakySh0rty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
DMV
Solved

Thanks everyone. Beep code was right and it was a RAM issue. I guess somehow it got unseated. But to make sure it wasn't any other issues, i brought it to an apple store. They cleaned and resett the RAM modules and kept it under watch for awhile. Worked and no other problems. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.