Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyde244

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Safari and I have gotten along for the past 3+ years, but starting yesterday Youtube stopped working all together. I will navigate to a Youtube page, it will load, and I will be left with a black square where Youtube's flash player should kick in.

I tried switching to the HTML5 trial player, and still had no luck.

Youtube still works perfectly well in Firefox, and was not working momentarily in Chrome, but Chrome is now working.

I checked and reinstalled my java, which Adobe says is properly installed. What else might help?

timothy632

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2009
try this

I had the same damn problem, what worked for me was to set safari to 32bit mode. open application folder>right click on safari icon>select get info> check box that says 32bit mode> restart safari it should work.

google must have changed something on youtube, because it was just working fine yesterday, and the apple support forums are going crazy. If that don't work you can look here.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=876&start=0

Hope that helps.

kcbcm

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
YouTube on Safari

I am relieved to know it's not just my macbook. I have been complaining to GlobalDelight's Boom, since I first noticed this problem after installing Boom last night. It wasn't their fault after all.

I tried reinstalling Flash, turning off click-to-flash. YouTube works on Firefox. Oddly one Josh Groban video on YouTube works, but everything else is just a black rectangle. And YouTube videos embedded on other sites have worked, but not on YouTube itself.

I'll check the apple forums. Thanks.

Hyde244

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I too am glad to know that it's not just my Macbook that is suffering. Hopefully there will be a universal fix shortly if it is truly affecting so many people.

I'll try reinstalling Safari to see if that has any luck.

kcbcm

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
32bit works

Looking at the apple forum, I found that having Safari open in 32 bit works. The YouTube videos work now. I have two questions. 1- what do I lose by being in 32 bit?
2- did installing Boom cause this to happen? I saw something about enhancements requiring 32 bit could cause this.
I've also noticed that people have been having this "sudden" problem with YouTube on Safari for months, but mine just happened yesterday after I installed Boom. (uninstalling Boom didn't help, however).

kcbcm

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
forgot to say thanks, timothy632, for the 32-bit mode solution. It worked.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Thats weird because for me it has not been working in Chrome and I've had to use Safari. When I try to use youtube in Chrome, i just get an empty box where the video should be and i can see through to my finder. No idea whats up tried updating and all :(

Commodore

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
I found the fix in another thread. I've copied it below. Works perfectly.

Thanks to unicolondon, the unsung hero of the Safari-Youtube debacle of 2011.

System configuration:
Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4), Mac OSX 10.6.6

My wife's computer suffered the same problem and I managed to compare her settings with my MacBook and I noticed that safari had an unwanted plugin with .exe format that was preventing youtube to automatically load its videos.

the plugin was: NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave

After removing it safari it all went back to normal again.

to check your plugins:
goto safari/help/installed plugins

Understanding the Safari Plug-ins List

Plug-ins are actually files within files. Safari groups plug-ins by the file that contains the small programs. An example that just about every Mac Safari user will see on the Installed Plug-ins page is the QuickTime plug-in. A single file called QuickTime Plugin.plugin provides the code that runs QuickTime, but it’s actually made up of dozens of individual codecs for playing back various types of content. (Short for coder/decoder, a codec compresses or decompresses voice or audio signals.)

Other types of plug-ins you’ll probably see include Java Plug-in for Cocoa, Shockwave Flash, and Quartz Composer. If you want to remove a plug-in, you need to know its file name. To find this information, look through the plug-in descriptions on the Installed Plug-ins list. For example, to remove the Shockwave or Flash plug-in, look for a Shockwave Flash entry in the Description column for the Flash Player.plugin. Once you know the file name, you can remove the plug-in file; this will uninstall the plug-in from Safari.

How to remove unwanted plugins

Safari stores its plug-in files in one of two locations. The first location is /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. This location contains plug-ins that are available to all users of your Mac, and is where you will find most plug-ins. The second location is your home directory’s Library folder at ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins/. The tilde (~) in the pathname is a shortcut for your user account name. For example, if your user account name is Tom, the full pathname would be /Tom/Library/Internet Plug-ins. This location holds plug-ins that Safari only loads when you log in to your Mac.

To remove a plug-in, use the Finder to go to the appropriate location and drag the file whose name matches the description entry in the Installed Plug-ins page to the Trash. If you want to save the plug-in for possible later use, you can drag the file to another location on your Mac, perhaps a folder called Disabled Plug-ins that you create in your home directory. If you change your mind later and want to reinstall the plug-in, just drag the file back to its original location.

After you remove a plug-in by moving it to the Trash or another folder, you’ll need to restart Safari for the change to take effect.

I hope it helps for you as well.

angad19

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I found the fix in another thread. I've copied it below. Works perfectly.

Thanks to unicolondon, the unsung hero of the Safari-Youtube debacle of 2011.

System configuration:
Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4), Mac OSX 10.6.6

My wife's computer suffered the same problem and I managed to compare her settings with my MacBook and I noticed that safari had an unwanted plugin with .exe format that was preventing youtube to automatically load its videos.

the plugin was: NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave

After removing it safari it all went back to normal again.

to check your plugins:
goto safari/help/installed plugins

Understanding the Safari Plug-ins List

Plug-ins are actually files within files. Safari groups plug-ins by the file that contains the small programs. An example that just about every Mac Safari user will see on the Installed Plug-ins page is the QuickTime plug-in. A single file called QuickTime Plugin.plugin provides the code that runs QuickTime, but it’s actually made up of dozens of individual codecs for playing back various types of content. (Short for coder/decoder, a codec compresses or decompresses voice or audio signals.)

Other types of plug-ins you’ll probably see include Java Plug-in for Cocoa, Shockwave Flash, and Quartz Composer. If you want to remove a plug-in, you need to know its file name. To find this information, look through the plug-in descriptions on the Installed Plug-ins list. For example, to remove the Shockwave or Flash plug-in, look for a Shockwave Flash entry in the Description column for the Flash Player.plugin. Once you know the file name, you can remove the plug-in file; this will uninstall the plug-in from Safari.

How to remove unwanted plugins

Safari stores its plug-in files in one of two locations. The first location is /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. This location contains plug-ins that are available to all users of your Mac, and is where you will find most plug-ins. The second location is your home directory’s Library folder at ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins/. The tilde (~) in the pathname is a shortcut for your user account name. For example, if your user account name is Tom, the full pathname would be /Tom/Library/Internet Plug-ins. This location holds plug-ins that Safari only loads when you log in to your Mac.

To remove a plug-in, use the Finder to go to the appropriate location and drag the file whose name matches the description entry in the Installed Plug-ins page to the Trash. If you want to save the plug-in for possible later use, you can drag the file to another location on your Mac, perhaps a folder called Disabled Plug-ins that you create in your home directory. If you change your mind later and want to reinstall the plug-in, just drag the file back to its original location.

After you remove a plug-in by moving it to the Trash or another folder, you’ll need to restart Safari for the change to take effect.

I hope it helps for you as well.

My youtube is not working. However, my Safari does not have this NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave plugin. What else could it be?

UPDATE: using the "Remove all website data" under Safari > preference > privacy worked for me. My YouTube is functioning again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.