Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I'm coming from a 6 yr old dell inspiron 1501 with an archaic 1.something ghz processor and on ubuntu that was usable but a bit sluggish. I moved on to the hp dm1z which blew me away on performance with its amd fusion cpu. It also came 3gigs of ram. My sister just took the dm1z today since she also loved it and now im left with nothing but the old dell. I just talked to a guy from craigslist today and he's offering me a base mba 11" for $700. Will it be sufficient enough for me? I think it will but I just wanted to go by you guys first before I buy the thing. My uses are

A lot of web browsing.
I watch a lot of videos. Hours and hours of youtube and flash videos too. Does he air have trouble with flash?
4+ tabs open at all times. Multiple flash videos possibly
I also download a lot of torrents so a lot of music and movies
I will also download a torrent for office because I use word and excel a lot.
I don't game but wanted to try batman arkham asylum too

One more thing, since apple has a one year warranty with their laptops does that mean if I have a propblem I can bring it into a apple store even though I didn't buy it from them?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It should do fine, I notice occasional slowdowns on my air that I assume to be from the 2 gb of RAM, but I think it will handle your needs well enough. As far as the warranty goes, as long as the used computer you buy still has some warranty left you can take it in to get fixed, you can even buy the 3 year AppleCare if you want it.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
It should do fine, I notice occasional slowdowns on my air that I assume to be from the 2 gb of RAM, but I think it will handle your needs well enough. As far as the warranty goes, as long as the used computer you buy still has some warranty left you can take it in to get fixed, you can even buy the 3 year AppleCare if you want it.

Well the air just came out 4months ago so it should have coverage left, no?

If I have problems and take it to an apple store do I have to give them proof of purchase? What will they say if I tell them I bought it second hand?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Personally I'd look for one with 4GB of RAM and if you're OK with 64GB of total storage then sure it should be a nice little machine for:

1. Web browsing, no problem you should be quite happy.
2. Videos again shouldn't be an issue, if you watch flash content then download Flash.
3. You may run low on RAM running 4 tabs of video simultaneously which of course will affect temperature and performance.
4. I won't comment on torrents. I'd suggest speaking to your probation officer about that. :)
5. I'm not a gamer either but many people have posted good results. I'd recommend looking at some Youtube videos of people doing the same.

As for the warranty, there shouldn't be any problem because the warranty follows the serial number not the person.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
If you do a lot of torrenting then 64 gb will get claustrophobic pretty fast.

I watch movies once and delete. I put songs on my phone and delete off my computer as well. My 6yr old dell came with only 80gb and I've only used 30 in all these years.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Oh and btw this will probably be my primary machine until I either make a custom beast of a desktop or unless apple really wows me with their new 13" mbp and I wanna trade up.

Anyone use the air 11 as their primary computer? Is it too small? My old ass dell I mentioned earlier is 15.4" buy its resolution. Is also lower than the mba 11".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.