Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
On my jailbroken Verizon iPhone, I have been using Amazon Payments to purchase apps on Cydia. After making a purchase, I get two e-mails from Amazon (an authorization e-mail and a transaction e-mail). However, neither of these e-mails list the name of the app I have purchased. They all just list "SaurikIT, LLC" and the amount of the transaction.

So my question is how are we supposed to keep track of purchases? I know that they are all listed in the Cydia store on the phone. But if something happens to the phone, do we have to manually keep track of everything we purchased? On the Apple app store, for example, you can see every app you have purchased and even re-download them again for free. Can you do this as well on the Cydia store?

I know there are backup apps like Pkgbackup (which I am using). Is that the only way, then? I just don't want to have something happen and have to pay for all of the jailbroken apps again.

Thanks!

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
If you lost your phone or had to restore it for whatever reason you would simply log back into your Amazon account via Cydia on the new device and it would show you all of the software you've purchased through the Cydia store.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
If you lost your phone or had to restore it for whatever reason you would simply log back into your Amazon account via Cydia on the new device and it would show you all of the software you've purchased through the Cydia store.

Thanks, that puts my mind to ease a bit. A few of the apps were purchased outside of Cydia, so I assume I'd have to contact the vendor to re-download those apps, right? One example is bitesms, which allows you to download the free version from Cydia, but you purchase the ad-free version from within the app itself. Just making sure I have a handle on how all of this works!

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
BiteSMS is tied to your phone #, not your actual phone. If you got a new phone that had the same phone number you would simply download biteSMS and in the Settings menu click on Activate (or something similar, not looking at it right now) and it would re-activate your license.

If your phone number changed you could just send an email to help@bitesms.com and let them know about the new phone # and they'd quickly transfer the license over for you. I think you'll find everyone agrees that BiteSMS's support is excellent -- they take care of their customers.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I bought MyWi 10 minutes ago, but I used Paypal. The receipt from Paypal shows $19.99 payment to SaurikIT but the description shows MyWi4. Maybe try using Paypal to keep track of app receipts.

Dano22

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
How to Make Cydia FORGET me on old 3G; prepping to sell

BiteSMS is tied to your phone #, not your actual phone. If you got a new phone that had the same phone number you would simply download biteSMS and in the Settings menu click on Activate (or something similar, not looking at it right now) and it would re-activate your license.

If your phone number changed you could just send an email to help@bitesms.com and let them know about the new phone # and they'd quickly transfer the license over for you. I think you'll find everyone agrees that BiteSMS's support is excellent -- they take care of their customers.

I have searched and searched and cannot seem to find the right answer to the below, any help would be apprciated iPhone Addict.

I had a JB iphone 3G that I bought many a Cydia App on. I have since bought a iPhone 4 and want to sell my 3G JB and Unlocked. Before I sold it I decieded to test to see if my purchases would show up on my "erased all settings", restored from new through iTunes iPhone 3G. Lo and behold, I could JB again and downloaded 3 purchased apps without signing into Cydia.

I am concerned as I want to sell my 3G on craigslist, protect myself from the person I sell the phone to using my purchased apps AND, eventually, I will want to JB my iPhone 4, and use those apps I already purchased.

I have the same phone number on my 4 that I had on my 3G.

I decided to glom on to this thread as its literally the only one I saw mentioning something close to my issue--Cydia apps tying themselves to the phone number.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
Dano22

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
You can revisit Cydia from any other device that is logged onto your Cydia account and review your purchases. Basically Cydia works like the Mac App Store (not like iOS App Store, currently).

I believe Cydia allows you to use your app with 5 devices, although developers seem to have their own guidelines sometimes and I'm not sure how this is mitigated.

@Dano22, I have had to log into Cydia again, esp. after a reset or even after a few days have gone past. You may notice that Cydia will show the items as purchased, but you will need to login with Gmail or Facebook for you to actually download them. Is this what you mean?

Dano22

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply Neko Girl.

Thats the thing, I wasn't logged into Cydia after I wiped and restored the 3G, yet I was easily able to download my paid apps without logging in. I just JBed again and went to cydia, and there it said, "Purchased".

"@Dano22, I have had to log into Cydia again, esp. after a reset or even after a few days have gone past. You may notice that Cydia will show the items as purchased, but you will need to login with Gmail or Facebook for you to actually download them. Is this what you mean?"

Sorta, but this has never happened to me...I have always been able to re-download paid apps after restore as new's...without signing into Cydia.

I want Cydia to forget me on the 3G so the next person that uses my iphone 3G does not have access to my paid for apps.

Is this even possible?

Dano22

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.