Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CYnthiaBlue44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney
It is said: be careful what you wish for! I think I’m safe with this wish. I wish I had a non-slip typing guide for the iPad.

I’m using my iPad as a reader of a technical book about iPhone/iPad App Development. There are many interesting . . . challenging tutorials in the book. The tutorial requires me to type the Objective-C code into xCode. I've done some tutorials by cut and pasting the code but the author suggested that typing the code helps with the learning process. I believe he's correct. I'm following his instructions.

Some of the code is quite lengthy and I find my eyes often drop down to the wrong line. I need a ruler, that is, a typing guide that I can sit on top of my iPad and guide my eyes so I can read the code line by line. A normal ruler slides off the glass screen.

Has someone invented/designed a non-slip typing guide as an accessory to the iPad?

TypingGuideForIPad-300x169.jpg

If you're interested . . . the title of the book I'm reading is: iPhone Programming The Big Nerd Ranch Guide by Joe Conway and Aaron Hillegas There's a link to the book on my blog: http://artuccino.com/serendipity/?p=190

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I would try using something with a rubbery texture and a straight edge. Perhaps a square/rectangle mouse pad will do? Another idea that comes to mind is a large post-it note. Layer two of them together and you could make it large enough to fit the width of the iPad. When it loses stickiness, peel off two more.

CYnthiaBlue44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney
Non-Slip Typing Guide for iPad

Using a post-it note as a guide sounds like a very simple and good solution to my problem. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.