Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160741-safedep_500.jpg

Patently Apple details a recent Apple patent application which describes a new Mac OS X feature called "Safe Deposit Box":
Apple's patent is about a safe deposit box for securing important user files. In one aspect, when a user drags-and-drops a file representation onto a safe deposit box icon, the file is secured. In another aspect, when a user selects the safe deposit box icon and verifies his or her identity, the user could access secured files through a safe deposit box window.
By dragging your important files into the "Safe Deposit Box", files could be automatically encrypted and hidden from access. Original copies would be securely deleted and even copied into the cloud for backup.
One of the key attributes or selling points of Apple's Safe Deposit Box Application or OS X feature is that your digital valuables could be stored "off site" or beyond the home computer to safeguard your digital valuables which could be something like a Will or Living Will, agreements, life insurance policies, home insurance policies, a simple home inventory list or video or perhaps something that's really valuable to most every iTunes fan: a copy of your iTunes Library.
There's no guarantee that Apple is planning on including this into Mac OS X Lion, but rumors have suggested that Apple is heavily investing in some sort of cloud strategy. Apple also plans to release Mac OS X Lion this summer, but has only given a small preview of some of the new features.

Article Link: Apple 'Safe Deposit Box' Patent Revealed Ahead of Mac OS X Lion

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
LOL

It's a good thing you found this, the "iPad 3 has retina display" thread was making this site look amateurish... and there are lots of comments left by users to back that claim up. :eek:

Back to this story however, it's about time Apple brings this function in, I remember looking for this in panther. :D

Anyways, nice find as this will almost assuredly be introduced during the keynote.

Last edited:

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
I like the idea of a virtual safebox, but my main concern is that if it backs up to a cloud what are the chances your files can be compromised if Apple's cloud is hacked?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
One of the "new" features of Lion is the "Launchpad".

Those of us old enough will realize that Apple had something very similar a loooong time ago in System 7 that they killed with Mac OS 8: The Launcher

launcher.gif

Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers that :D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Dare I assume 2 things with this.

Anything, and I mean anything no matter how illegal could be stored here and no-one other than you could ever access it via some secret back door?

There would be some major insurance/compensation in place in case Apple's system ever lost your data?

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010

Those of us old enough will realize that Apple had something very similar a loooong time ago in System 7 that they killed with Mac OS 8: The Launcher

launcher.gif

LOL - yes! I posted a picture of the launcher on a thread a while ago too. I didn't like it. I tried it and quickly gave it up.

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
another patented Apple patent on junk that has already been developed and employed. Way to go that extra mile and be innovative, Apple.

Apple - "We used to be innovated until we focused our time on selling iStuff as there is more money to be made."

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
At this time, Lion doesn't sound very exciting... Well I'm sure this has time to change until this summer, but even Snow Leopard didn't gain any features during that one year after its announcement...

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

they have needed at least the ability to password protect individual files for a long time. The work around of creating a protected dmg was a huge pain if we are talking very large file sizes that you want to modify on a regular basis

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
All they need is an insurance option that automatically decrypts the files and emails them to a list of users in the event of your death. You would use a non government key escrow system with the key in a different country to make it much harder for legal action to open the files while you are alive.

I don't think the US government could block the release ahead of time due to prior restraint. I can just picture the court order, "Do not release these files of unknown name and content to a list of unknown people."

they have needed at least the ability to password protect individual files for a long time. The work around of creating a protected dmg was a huge pain if we are talking very large file sizes that you want to modify on a regular basis

256 bit elliptic curve encryption. I don't think that will be breakable anytime in the next few hundred years. Go with 512 and you can add a few million to that number.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post. You were talking about the ability to encrypt individual files vs an encrypted volume. I would never use this option as it would provide too many clues to content by file size.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
If this does come true though how much space would we get? Also would it be a selling point of MobileMe?
May be what Apples new data farm is for I suppose.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
If this does come true though how much space would we get? Also would it be a selling point of MobileMe?

If you are taking about storing legal documents, 1MB would be plenty for any person. I would think 100 meg would work well. People or corporations that need more could pay for an upgrade.

At this time, Lion doesn't sound very exciting... Well I'm sure this has time to change until this summer, but even Snow Leopard didn't gain any features during that one year after its announcement...

The best feature of Snow Leopard was it's lack of features. They put all the effort of a major release into stability and reliably upgrades. I would like to see more companies get away from feature creep and move to quality creep.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Not sure if you would really want important documents like that to go into the cloud...

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
If you are taking about storing legal documents, 1MB would be plenty for any person. I would think 100 meg would work well. People or corporations that need more could pay for an upgrade.

With 100meg would be able to get some powerpoints stored as well. Seems quite a handy feature to have.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

Snow Leopard wasn't supposed to have new features. It did end up getting a new version of Expose though.

Jobs said Lion had "tons of new user features" at the Mac Special Event in October. Sounds like this release will be more in line with 10.5 Leopard.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Not sure if you would really want important documents like that to go into the cloud...

I see no problem with keeping backups of important documents on the cloud. Just use very good encryption. Encrypt the file using TrueCrypt or PGP, then put Apples Encryption on top of that.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA

launcher.gif

You're not the only one. I had this back on my AIO Performa 577 and also my Performa 636CD, but I dont think I actually ever used it. I think it was later on (OS 8?) that I started using FinderPop on my TurboMouse (trackball), one right click and all my regular apps were there to be selected. :)

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Maby it will be included when u buy a time machine, or even mobile me because they do simmilar things (if the files are stored outside the comp and they are) and personally it looks Like it's basically backing it up.

It's perfect for my iTunes library, important docs, naughy pics, etc...

LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.