Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolocaust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Let me start by saying every one of the threads I searched on this and read through involved a bunch of people who aren't lawyers commenting on the legality of recording calls without someones knowledge blah blah blah...

If that is what you have to contribute, please don't. It's completely irrelevant and leads to people like me searching for useful information winding up here reading through a bunch of garbage.

Now, I'm looking for an app that will allow me to record my incoming and outgoing calls. Imagine if you will a microphone in front of my mouth and also at the speaker of the phone that would record what I say, and what the other person says, in order, in a listenable quality. Something a little more streamlined than using my macbook pro as a voice recorder and my iphone on speakerphone in close proximity.

Why I want this: So I can record my calls to customer service departments for the express purpose of documenting my struggle against their corporations in small claims suites. WHENEVER you call a customer service line you are told "your call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance." LEGAL DISCUSSION OVER. They know, you know, everybody knows it could be recorded. You could even say, I'm recording this call to each rep you spoke to, but it wouldn't be necessary.

ONWARDS: Does anyone know of a good app, that meets these requirements. Preferably doesn't require a monthly fee, doesn't require the phone to make an outgoing call to another phone and "merge the calls" or any other nonsense that will breach the "chain of trust" of data between me and the other person's/people at the end of the line.

My iphone is jailbroken: Cydia apps as well as official Itunes apps are completely acceptable.

Thank you for your help.

This is an official app that does it, but breaks chain of trust and has reliability issues.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
There are NO authorized apps to record phone calls as the law is different from state to state...if you want to record phone calls the only way I know to accomplish this is via google voice, just press 4 to start recording.... as far as cydia apps you might want to post in the hacks section

lolocaust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
There are NO authorized apps to record phone calls as the law is different from state to state...if you want to record phone calls the only way I know to accomplish this is via google voice, just press 4 to start recording.... as far as cydia apps you might want to post in the hacks section

I just wanted to say thank you for the information about google voice. That is a possible solution, however, I really want to keep my personal cell phone number involved in this action, and not use my G#. Thank you though.

As for the no authorized app, please see above as I have edited my original post to show one example I found.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
He is correct, Apple will have to be very careful as this use is extremely viable to be illegal in several states that require 2 way confirmation of recording. Illinois is one, Texas only requires 1 way.
So Apple would most likely try to stay out of the court room in many a state.
But the Google Voice is the way I have used before. It seems to work fine, but I have not put it through its paces really. Someone else could easily be more of an expert than I.
As for wanting to use your main number, I'm wondering why it could matter. Not against you, but in a legal sense, why would it matter from which telephone you used to contact said company/individual. You possess both of the number in question. So where is the division?

The app you show above seems to break your "chain of trust" as it calls "their server" as a third party for recording. This could possibly make your recording suspect in any court. It also requires you to be presently in a call before activating it. Thus making it easy for any lawyer to state that this call cannot be proven that it is indeed the defendant. YOu need one that records upon completion of dialing.

Sociopathic

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Hi there.
I'm a new iPhone user and I too need a call recording app.
I'm not in the US so I'm not concerned with legal issues. Keep in mind that there are some countries that allow call recording without confirmation.
I've done some research on the net and apparently there is no way to build such an app with the iPhone SDK.
Apps that record on a server are a no go for me :( Firstly they are usually targeted to the US market and secondly they require wi fi access.
Any help will be appreciated.

P.S: My old symbian Nokia could do this. And it was very outdated :(

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.1
jailbroken

lolocaust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
He is correct, Apple will have to be very careful as this use is extremely viable to be illegal in several states that require 2 way confirmation of recording. Illinois is one, Texas only requires 1 way.
So Apple would most likely try to stay out of the court room in many a state.
But the Google Voice is the way I have used before. It seems to work fine, but I have not put it through its paces really. Someone else could easily be more of an expert than I.
As for wanting to use your main number, I'm wondering why it could matter. Not against you, but in a legal sense, why would it matter from which telephone you used to contact said company/individual. You possess both of the number in question. So where is the division?

The app you show above seems to break your "chain of trust" as it calls "their server" as a third party for recording. This could possibly make your recording suspect in any court. It also requires you to be presently in a call before activating it. Thus making it easy for any lawyer to state that this call cannot be proven that it is indeed the defendant. YOu need one that records upon completion of dialing.

What did you contribute to this discussion? I don't understand why you even bothered posting. I made it pretty clear this thread didn't need to be polluted by a bunch of non lawyers running their mouths about legal issues that aren't relevant to the goal of this thread: FIND A SOLUTION TO RECORD BOTH PARTIES OF AN INCOMING OR OUTGOING CALL ON THE IPHONE. If you don't have a solution, or an idea, don't post. Your post is exactly the kind of cancer infecting this forum, causing people researching solutions to arrive at worthless threads devoid of useful ideas or intelligent discussion.

THE ONLY USEFUL THING YOU POSTED: "But the Google Voice is the way I have used before. It seems to work fine, "

That is the only relevant comment in your entire post. Everything else is restating things I already said, or worthless legal nonsense.

/flame

Speaking of actually contributing things that are relevant. I found this as I continue my research for SOLUTIONS TO THE ABOVE STATED PROBLEM.

This comes from:
hxxp://www.netstreamshifter.com/2009/06/record-iphone-conversations-on-mac-with.html

While it isn't as streamlined as I would like, it's a small step in the right direction.

I think I'm going to have to switch gears from finding an app that records calls to finding a tactic to record audio data from an active call, then make an app to apply the tactic efficiently.

I'm going to test my second idea tomorrow which is to call my OWN skype or even OWN voicemail while on a call, merge the calls and record the output in order to keep every data hand off at least somewhat internal. I fear my voicemail will have a 2 minute limit or some other restriction that won't make this viable. Will test tomorrow when I have time. My mind is on using my personal skype and recording that via wiretap on my mac or some built in feature I haven't explored yet.

Last edited:

phononym

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
I use an MP3 recorder

I too was surprised to find no free app that recorded a call on the iphone with an option to dump an mp3 file on a dropbox. Almost too simple to mention; I use a Zoom H2 mp3 recorder with a cable from iphone headphone socket to line in, and headphones from the Zoom. I have to speak into the phone, and listen on the headphones, but it works ok. I'm sure someone cleverer than me can easily do the same but pipe the line out into a mac or PC and record it on a free app like Audacity. That would have the advantage of being able to edit and clip the file before dumping to mp3.

drussell111

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Devices and Programs to record telephone calls

ugh. hours of research. distilled down to below.....

2 mic devices (have to have a separate handheld recorder). 2 on first link, same one on second link with some recorders.

http://idictate.com.au/2009/04/olym...ne-telephone-interviews-conversations-mobile/

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Olympus-Telephone-Conversation-Recording-Device/11082613

recorder. 800hrs+ recording time. $90 or so maybe less
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN-8100PC-Digital-Recorder-142600/dp/B000NPKO4E

Apps. wow. so many apps, so many problems. if you dont want to carry around a separate recorder (much cheaper, but way less convenient) this is the only one that i have found that is easy to use, but costs about 33 cents a minute, but then maybe you dont want to record every conversation.
recordiapro.com gold version

dictates

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hey

Thanks to the link to my blog - idictate.com.au - the posts talks about a couple of phone recording mics that pop in your ear and connect to a voice recorder to allow two way recording. The TP-7 and now TP-8 from Olympus.

There are a couple of other options you can try. Make you rcall using Skype and use the Audio HiJack Mac app - we use this alot to record conference calls.

Also if you have a VoIP account some softphones have the ability to record calls - like the older X-Lite from CounterPath.

Hope that helps.

ugh. hours of research. distilled down to below.....

2 mic devices (have to have a separate handheld recorder). 2 on first link, same one on second link with some recorders.

http://idictate.com.au/2009/04/olym...ne-telephone-interviews-conversations-mobile/

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Olympus-Telephone-Conversation-Recording-Device/11082613

recorder. 800hrs+ recording time. $90 or so maybe less
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN-8100PC-Digital-Recorder-142600/dp/B000NPKO4E

Apps. wow. so many apps, so many problems. if you dont want to carry around a separate recorder (much cheaper, but way less convenient) this is the only one that i have found that is easy to use, but costs about 33 cents a minute, but then maybe you dont want to record every conversation.
recordiapro.com gold version

DjGuiltyPleasur

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
Phone Call Recorder Tweak

I know this is years after this thread was posted and you probably already have solved your issue, but if not you can download call recorder tweak on cydia through the insanelyi repository. Add source "http://repo.insanelyi.com" and search for "call recorder" (quotes not needed). Install the tweak (should be version v0.2-223 unless its updated) and respring your device. Go into your settings and read the warning about notifying parties of recording taking place and click I agree. You can set it to automatically record all calls, incoming only, outgoing only, or manual. If you do manual, any time you make a call there will be a little record button on the screen once you are connected. Click that and it saves the files automatically. You can access the files through the app icon it creates called "Audio...order" which I'm assuming is shortened for Audio Recorder. You can email the files to yourself or if your knowledgeable enough of the iPhone file system, using third party software you can copy it straight from the iPhone to your computer. The quality is really good and the tweak is simple to use. Hope this answers your question if you haven't solved it already. Have fun recording! Oh and I forgot to mention its free to install and no limitations on usage. Just be sure you follow state and federal laws on notifying any parties involved of the recording.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.