Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crmpicco

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Mauchline, UK
Hi,

I am having a problem with my WD MyBook Essential Edition 250GB external hard drive. I have formatted it for Mac OSX (Journaled) in Disk Utility, copied around 10GB of data onto it and plugged it into my LG BD player.

The BD player didn't recognise it so I removed it and plugged it back into my Macbook. Since then I have been unable to format it using Disk Utility or even access the files that are on it. When I plug the drive in via USB after 10-15 seconds it gives me this error message:

DiskEject2.png

After that I have to manually switch the disk off as Mac OSX cannot see it. The front light just keeps blinking on and off.

This is the drive....

http://reviews.cnet.com/external-hard-drives/western-digital-my-book/4505-3190_7-31792597.html

Any help very much appreciated.

PS. Also posted for discussion/assistance at http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Externals/MyBook-Essential-Edition-250GB-cannot-be-read-by-Mac-OSX/m-p/138692
Picco

Last edited:

crmpicco

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Mauchline, UK
Thanks for your reply, I have tried this but to no success.

It appears that the drive has a problem mounting so I cannot format it :confused:

Basically what I am doing is plugging the drive in by USB, it appears in Disk Utility, I click 'partition' as it says in that guide you provided and the 'not responding' icon appears after a few seconds
beachballing.gif
and then I get the error message in my first post!

I have a Windows 7 VM on my Macbook, i'm wondering if I would be able to format it from the command line in Windows to FAT-32? I can't see the drive in Windows Explorer when I plug it in, but presumably that's because it's in Mac OSX format.

What is my best bet to progress with this?

Thanks,
Picco

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Sorry, but I don't have any experience with formatting hard drives under Windows. Are you able to run a Repair Disk on it using Disk Utility?

crmpicco

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Mauchline, UK
No, I cannot do anything like that. When I try to format it at the command line it always shows "resource busy" then ejects....

Not sure what else to do with it, so i'm in the process of asking the seller if they'll take it back as it's absolutely useless to me now.

Any advice welcome and appreciated of course, but I think plugging the drive into my BD player has well and truly screwed it! :(

Thanks,
Picco

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
No, I cannot do anything like that. When I try to format it at the command line it always shows "resource busy" then ejects....

Not sure what else to do with it, so i'm in the process of asking the seller if they'll take it back as it's absolutely useless to me now.

Any advice welcome and appreciated of course, but I think plugging the drive into my BD player has well and truly screwed it! :(

Thanks,
Picco

I don't have any experience using Disk Utility from the command line, but have you tried it from the Disk Utility app in the Utilities folder?

I suggest that if you get another external hard drive that you find out what hard drive format is supported by your BD player (probably FAT32 or maybe something proprietary) before plugging the hard drive into it.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Might try the Config module within Windows. Go to Start and enter msconfig in search. Open the program that appears and go to the Disk Management option. See if the drive appears as available. This module allows you to edit partitions instead of just volumes. Mess around (with the external drive only ;) ) and see if that might help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.