Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

205551-ipadcase_500.jpg

Early iPad 2 case from Orange-Byte
After reading the report that Apple is planning to introduce its new Light Peak-based high speed interconnect technology "soon", it struck us that Light Peak could help explain some particularly incongruous rumors we've been hearing about the iPad 2 over the past few months.

First, is the presence of a "mystery port" on early iPad 2 case designs from third-party manufacturers. The case designs have been remarkably consistent and seem to be clearly sourced from the same design document. These early design documents aren't perfect (third-generation iPod touch camera being a notable example), but early case designs have generally done a good job predicting upcoming Apple hardware. Some have tried to identify the additional port as a Mini DisplayPort connector.

Others, however, felt it may represent the rumored iPad USB port that has been predicted a couple of times (1, 2) over the past few months.

220905-LPBlog5.png

Prototype Light Peak connector photo from PCPro.co.uk
As it turns out, the Light Peak prototypes have been using hybrid USB 3 connector connectors that might easily be confused for USB. The exact connector for Light Peak hasn't been described, but it may be close enough to USB to be a case of mistaken identity in the early iPad 2 rumors. The opening for the port may be a bit small for a full-sized USB connector, though it seems feasible that the Light Peak could also adopt a mini USB style form factor as well.

We should note that this is entirely speculative, but thought it could help explain some of the loose ends we've been seeing in the iPad 2 rumors to date. The addition of a new Light Peak port alongside the existing dock connector on the iPad seems like an inelegant solution for Apple, though it's certainly no stranger than Apple adding a standard USB port to the iPad.

Article Link: Could the iPad 2 Be Getting Light Peak?

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder where the other end would plug into, though? Apple would need to release Macs that include the port. Light Peak does seem awesome on the whole. It would speed up synching and backing up tremendously.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Wow, really Arn? :rolleyes:

We both know that not going to happen, not even an iota of a chance here, nada, zip, zero. Jeez, how could you even consider this?

Also, I would like to inquire as to why my first comment was deleted? It was clearly a placeholder, foul play at work here indeed. :mad:

Last edited:

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can these iPad rumors get any more ridiculous?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
If the iPad 2 gets Light Peak then surely there's got to be some new Macs that'll come with it soon.

Jeff42037

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Until Apple shows it off.... We won't know... highly doubt it's light-peak seems like a stupid guess since no Apple products have it... might be a mic for facetime.... or a Death Star Laser :rolleyes:

rowanmwilliams

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

The new iPad will also be 3D and make you breakfast in bed.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
That picture in the article is the original USB 3 connector before the optical link was scrapped.

The optical link has also been scrapped from Light Peak.

WirelessHD supports 28Gbps and WiGig supports 7Gbps - and can co-exist easily. They are wireless too. They don't have any interference because the 60GHz signal can't leave the room.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

if the macs get it so will the ipad...no point in the macs having it if nothing else does. I seriously doubt it will look like USB that would be far too confusing, I hope they use an asymetrical plug or at least let it be plugged in upside down unlike usb

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Just to stem the hate. This is not a rumor. It's purely speculation, which we generaly avoid, but it raises an interesting topic.

The alternative explanations are:

1. no new port. case designs and rumors are wrong
2. USB port coming to iPad
3. Another type of port?

arn

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
While that would be cool. You have to have a light peak connection at the other end. Or some kind of converter. Which probably wouldn't be cheap enough to include with iPads.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Oh brother. This is getting out of control. If PC's wont see it until later this year (or early next) there is almost no chance it suddenly shows up in an iPad now.

Still - this is Mac Rumors I suppose.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
And for what its worth. My money is light peak being integrated with the magsafe technology. This is an underutilized patent that apple has. They should be making all kinds of connections use the magsafe tech. Maybe even license it out so it becomes a standard, and make $$ in the process.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Sorry Arn but I still think it is the slot for the microphone. I could be wrong, but it just seems likely that an improved microphone is a good idea considering the video conferencing capabilities. I suppose the hole is too big for the kind of microphones Apple tends to use, but there is no reason they can't opt for something better/different. I dunno really but it's just my guess since none of these cases have a hole for a microphone on them (but the cases are based off a leaked design that could be wrong anyway).

Plus, what real purpose would lightpeak give it? The speed of the flash is still the limiting factor, not the transport. I just don't see it, nor do I see them adding a dedicated MDP connection (better to use the dock connector for that).

MrSkoTA

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Options

Just to stem the hate. This is not a rumor. It's purely speculation, which we generaly avoid, but it raises an interesting topic.

The alternative explanations are:

1. no new port. case designs and rumors are wrong
2. USB port coming to iPad
3. Another type of port?

arn

I say another type of port... or port moved. Sim slot moved or could be competing with the Moto Xoom... (fingerprint reader)... not hoping, just speculating.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Hmm...seems funny after they dropped FireWire for USB on the iPods. Apple doesn't seem like it's about forcing new standards on people anymore (like when you had to buy a new printer for the original iMac as it only had USB). I think Apple seems much more driven to maintain market saturation and will stay as mainstream as possible to do so, unless LightPeak is somehow USB 2 compatible. I couldn't imagine an iPad that was only compatible with new MacBook Pros. On the other hand, they could let any computer sync via WiFi and then have LightPeak as an option.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
As there are no peripherals sporting Lightpeak connectors yet I think releasing the port on the iPad before putting it on any Mac makes sense. This would allow wide scale adoption of the protocol on a device ie: iPad and would allow 3rd parties to develop a slew of different peripherals for Lightpeak, which would then be available to be used on the next gen of Macs which will all feature Lightpeak finally.....
Bring it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.