Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fa.ce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hi,
there's a way to disable the automatic iTunes execution when an iPhone is connected with a cradle ?
Seems impossible ...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Thanks, great, and what about iTunes on windows ?

Get a mac. ;)

I'm not sure how to permanently stop it, but there is an item that starts up when you log in that tells iTunes to open when you connect an iPod/iPhone. Just turn that off. I don't know windows very well so you'll have to do a lot of guess work. The item is called iTunes helper.

fa.ce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
i'm going to investigate on the windows side.
unfortunately at work we use only win, at home only mac :)
thanks, again

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
I'm using Windows XP and I never had iTunes automatically start when I put the iPhone in the craddle. All I had seen that automatically start is the "Microsoft Scanner and Camera" and that is easy to disable. To do that, run "wiaacmgr" from Start->Run, select your iPhone camera, click on Properties and then click on Events tab and select "Take no action" and click OK.

If you want to disable iTunesHelper.exe from running, download and install autoruns from Microsoft. Click on the "Logon" tab, find and select iTunesHelper and either uncheck the box or press delete key to remove it. If you un-check iTunesHelper, all that does is keep it in your list but will not execute iTunesHelper when you log into your computer. After you do that, log out and log back in. This might make iTunes from starting when you plug in your iPhone in the cradle.

Be careful though, don't just disable other applications since that might make your sound stop working or whatever.

jciapara

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Msconfig

I'm using Windows XP and I never had iTunes automatically start when I put the iPhone in the craddle. All I had seen that automatically start is the "Microsoft Scanner and Camera" and that is easy to disable. To do that, run "wiaacmgr" from Start->Run, select your iPhone camera, click on Properties and then click on Events tab and select "Take no action" and click OK.

If you want to disable iTunesHelper.exe from running, download and install autoruns from Microsoft. Click on the "Logon" tab, find and select iTunesHelper and either uncheck the box or press delete key to remove it. If you un-check iTunesHelper, all that does is keep it in your list but will not execute iTunesHelper when you log into your computer. After you do that, log out and log back in. This might make iTunes from starting when you plug in your iPhone in the cradle.

Be careful though, don't just disable other applications since that might make your sound stop working or whatever.

You don't need to download the autoruns from Microsoft to disable iTunes Helper from Running at startup simply go to Start->Run and type msconfig then go to Start tab and uncheck the itunes helper program and click ok.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

Oh god. and this is why I use OS X and ubuntu.

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
You don't need to download the autoruns from Microsoft to disable iTunes Helper from Running at startup simply go to Start->Run and type msconfig then go to Start tab and uncheck the itunes helper program and click ok.
autoruns is way more powerful than msconfig. It shows a lot more what is being started. In fact, removing useless applications during the startup will make windows boot/login faster and also can make windows run faster by not having so many resources being eaten up.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
syn with iTunes

when you plug in your device and iTunes opens up. click on your device there is a box in the middle of the page towards the bottom that says "automatically sync when this iphone is connected"

just uncheck this box. this is the easiest way to do it!

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Thanks chargit worked like a charm, but the option I had to uncheck was "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected" ;)

You might also have a look at iTunes>preferences>devices>prevent ipods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
That's okay. I was trying to figure out what you were talking about in relation to my post. It wasn't until I read JamesMB's post that I realized what was happening. :D
You had a bit of gender confusion, so I fixed that for you.
Oops you are right thought she was replying to me. Sorry eastercat!

billyuf

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks!!!!

That worked for me ;)

So many many thanks! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.