Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hello Everyone,

As everyone gets more and more excited for the iPad 2 announcement drawing nearer there is one question that pops up when you get it.
That question is "What Case?"

What iPad cases do you think will come out at the iPad 2 launch?

(I think that most of the Belkin and Griffin iPad 1 cases will be available for iPad 2 at launch due to the fact that they have all the new iPod cases at the iPod launch)

One more question
Do you think we could use the iPad 1 screen protectors with the iPad 2?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
One more question

The one feature almost everyone agrees will be on the next iPad is a FaceTime camera. So unless you're prepared to precisely cut out a hole for a camera it's a safe bet that current-gen screen protectors won't work.

As an aside, neither I nor my wife have ever used a screen protector and we've both had our iPads since launch. If it makes you feel better, buy one, but I don't think it's necessary.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Can you use one? Probably.

Will it be an exact fit or the best solution? Probably not.

http://www.padgadget.com/2011/02/18...eals-front-facing-camera-ready-to-video-chat/

For me, this sort of stuff is another reason why I think there's benefit to being patient and letting a new device has some time on market before buying; that allows for accessory makers to catch up, get some price competition going, and allows you to source the items like cases and screen protectors at less than retail cost. Yes, it's only a few bucks, yes it can be difficult to wait if there's a new whiz-bang feature you've been dying to have, but if you're patient and not one who must have the new one right away it's something to consider.

IMHO once you get a couple weeks past launch nobody cares who got theirs the first week. :)

Last edited:

chrishemley823

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
When they announce it, Apple will post hardware dimensions on its developer page. Case makers will have time to make it before release.

tndd

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
I'm also looking for the most relevant case for an ipad 2. Do you guys have an idea ?

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Case makers are probably scrambling about now.

I have a Piel Frama case for my iPad 1 and it is SOooo sweet.

Probably why Ill be keeping her for a little longer, or at least untill some nice leather cases come out for the iPad 2. I hated the stock case when i first got my ipad 1 (nothing else was availiable, early) so I HAD to get it for safety (kind of a waste of $30 beacuse I chucked it once others were availiable).

Have a funny feeling theres no way my old case will fit the slimmer iPad 2 so Ill just have to wait. No biggie. I just knew this was going to happen.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Hey guys,

Silly question I know, I really don't like the Smart Covers that Apple have made for iPad 2, as much as I hated the original Apple case for iPad 1, at least it still protected everything INCLUDING the aluminium back, where as the new case only protects the front :(

I wonder if the new iPad 2 will fit the old Apple Case, and yes I know the rear camera won't be functional but at the least you could still use the front camera ?

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Is there a similar case to apple case for ipad 1 available for ipad 2?

I have has the apple case for my ipad from day 1. I quite like it apart from the rather uncomfortable to hold stickout edges. I has protected it from two drops, is functional and relatively cheap. I like a simple product.

The new apple smart cover looks good but I prefer a similar one-piece complete front and back protector very much like the old case, preferably with smooth edges! Anyone seen anything like this?

Last edited:

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
I'm already planning on picking up a Portenzo case as soon as they have an iPad 2 version available.

i plan on doing this as well but I'm curious as to what they are going to do about the mic at the top (i assume leave a gap in the wood ala the dock port on the bottom) and the camera on the rear.....and the new speaker setup (which will probably work similarly to last model)

so many questions lol and as of now they are only accepting pre orders for late march shipping and none of the exotics / alanos seem to be available :-/

leeschill

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
Im just hoping stock is quicker than the original cases that manufacturers came out with . I'm hearing 1-3 weeks from most. Looking forward to SGP, Griffin, and Marware the most.

tek210

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
For me the iChair is in the lead at this point. Covers many needs and looks good doing it.

I have asked them to let me know when they have the 2 version available.

http://www.goichair.com

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I love my Incase Convertible Book Jacket for my iPad 1...so much so that I plan to wait to get an iPad 2 until the updated Incase Book Jacket is available. Having said that, I'm surprised Incase hasn't said anything about what they're planning for the iPad 2.

tek210

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I love my Incase Convertible Book Jacket for my iPad 1...so much so that I plan to wait to get an iPad 2 until the updated Incase Book Jacket is available. Having said that, I'm surprised Incase hasn't said anything about what they're planning for the iPad 2.

I like this one too. I figure there is a decent chance this might be available launch day. If so I am getting this. This with the ichair will cover most scenarios I can think of at this point.

joltaxt

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Incase is pretty much top of the line when it comes to quality Apple accessories. I'm sure they are going to wait to model with the ACTUAL iPad 2 before they release anything. Imo it says a lot about the company that they hold their standards to such high regard despite other companies already releasing "blind" designs.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I doubt they'll be any good ones out the first couple months after release. If the iPhone 4 was any indication...

tianshanxuelian

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
I still recommend mine:
Ion factory carbon case:
here
0000575.jpg

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
So many awesome choices.

I should have my DODO Limited Edition soon for review.

Less than a week (3 Business Days) turnaround from order to shipping notice.

Peace of mind not waiting for a Portenzo...priceless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.