Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saladsamurai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Hi folks! Anyone been through this before? I am setting up this printer for the first time. I followed all instructions. I got to the part where I install the software on the actual MBP. When it got to the stage where it "detects the printer" it cannot find the printer. So I canceled that step and then finished installation.

I then when to System Preferences --> Print and Fax and clicked "+" and it could see the printer there. It sees it as "Canon MX870 Series _9398DFE..." and I go ahead and add it there. It also sees it as a scanner "Canon MX870 Series ..... Scanner." So I add the scanner as well. Printing works great! But when I open the "Solution Menu" software and select "scan" and then go ahead and click the scan button, I get an error message

"Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off. Check Status. Scanner driver will be closed 2.1.0."

Well, the MX870 is configured wirelessly and it is definitely turned on. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I found those instructions and Canon software way too complicated. Here's what has worked for me, as I use Macs' native applications to handle printing and scanning. Get your printer on your wireless network then download the CUPS and scanner driver (filenames below). Install CUPS first then install scanner, it will prompt you to restart.

After the restart, go to Print in System Preferences, hit "+" your scanner will come up almost immediately and wait up to 1 minute for it to find your printer. Add them both, voila, you're finished.

CUPS mx870sosxcp103030ea8-2.dmg
scanner msd_-mac-mx870-16_0_0a-ea8_2.dmg

Saladsamurai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I found those instructions and Canon software way too complicated. Here's what has worked for me, as I use Macs' native applications to handle printing and scanning. Get your printer on your wireless network then download the CUPS and scanner driver (filenames below). Install CUPS first then install scanner, it will prompt you to restart.

After the restart, go to Print in System Preferences, hit "+" your scanner will come up almost immediately and wait up to 1 minute for it to find your printer. Add them both, voila, you're finished.

I there jenzjen! Thanks for replying. I have been stuck scanning to a usb stick thus far. I have yet to try your solution, I have a few question before I do. I would appreciate it if you have a moment to respond:

1) If I download the above files, should I uninstall the Canon software that came with the printer?

2) Can you elaborate on how you use "native applications to handle printing and scanning" ? I assume you mean that you do not use the "solution center" that came with the printer.

3) Do you use the machine as a fax? I

Thanks again for your time :) I love my Canon camera and I love the printer itself, but Canon's documentation leaves something to be desired!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
2) Can you elaborate on how you use "native applications to handle printing and scanning" ? I assume you mean that you do not use the "solution center" that came with the printer.

I have the MX860, and I just leave an 8GB SD Card in it for scans, I just access the drive remotely via SMB to copy the files off, but it also shows up in Image Capture as a scanner. (NOTE: It didn't start showing up as a server until I brought my Windows Home Server online).

I basically ended up doing the same thing jenzjen did, download the SL drivers from Canon and ignore the disc.

B

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
1) If I download the above files, should I uninstall the Canon software that came with the printer?

3) Do you use the machine as a fax?
1) your call, I hate their software, but since it is already installed, try to see if everything works without uninstalling it. If not, then uninstall. If you uninstall, restart and then follow my directions again as your uninstall may have removed the drivers. One note, Apple themselves has a software update for Canon, so after you install those 2 files and restart, run a software update to get the latest latest Canon stuff from Apple.

2) correct, for printing I don't need any fancy software, and the built-in scanning software into Snow Leopard handles everything the Canon software does without all the mess.

3) yes

backspaces

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008

Way cool, I really dislike the GBs used by /Library/Printers so this looks just right for my new MB Air. I also MUCH prefer the native apps, using Image Capture for scanning.

One question though: I've had a lot of trouble installing MX870 on a 4 year old MBP and a fairly new Mini. The prior I used the gawd awful install cd, the latter I used the existing drivers which included the MX870. The mini does not see the scanner but the MBP seems OK, prints fine, and Image Capture finds the scanner. Print/Fax does not find the scanner on the Mini, but does on the MBP.

So I'm a bit concerned about screw ups, so need one piece of info: How do I un-install the two drivers you point out above?

Thanks!

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
So I'm a bit concerned about screw ups, so need one piece of info: How do I un-install the two drivers you point out above?
Thanks!

Not sure, is there not an uninstall option via the installer? Is it giving you problems by remaining installed?

backspaces

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Not sure, is there not an uninstall option via the installer? Is it giving you problems by remaining installed?

I didn't see an uninstall option when the installer started up.

My concern with the drivers remaining installed is that I want to minimize un-necessary drivers and to avoid conflicts they may produce.

What I'd *really* like is to be able to uninstall ALL printer/scanner drivers and related apps and docs and start over with just the drivers I need.

BTW: I found a third driver, the ICA (Image Capture) driver, misd-mac-1_7_0m.dmg. It was discussed in other posts with MX870 problems:
http://goo.gl/EjpeY How to add a Cannon scanner into Printer & fax pane

backspaces

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
BTW: Running mdfind shows a huge number of directories with MX870 files:

/Applications/Canon Utilities/IJ Manual
/Applications/Canon Utilities/IJ Manual/MX870 SERIES
/Library/Application Support/Canon/IJ Manual
/Library/Caches/Canon/BJPrinter/DeviceInfo
/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources
/Library/Preferences
/Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Resources/ICCProfiles
/Library/Receipts
/Users/Home/Library/Preferences/Canon/ScanGear
/Users/Home/Library/Printers
/private/etc/cups/ppd
/private/var/db/receipts

This is a result of both running the CD that came with the printer, installing the two suggested here, and installing the latest Canon driver update. Whew! Hard to believe there is no conflict lurking.

But to tell the truth, I'm now convinced that the problem is bonjour related. Using the CD scanner app, I can see the printer and scan, although much less mac-y than Image Capture.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I did not install the ICA, and I can use my scanner fine. If you're really worried about conflicts, the only solution I know is to wipe your drive and do a clean OS install.

backspaces

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008

On my MBAir, which starts with a really minimal print install, I installed the recommended drivers above, and still have only 81MB in /Library/Printers. Nice!

It prints fine, but neither Image Capture, nor Print/Fax Prefs sees the scanner. Also, Safari does not see the scanner in the Bonjour bookmarks, a common test for healthy Bonjour devices. Safari does see my TiVo for example.

So not too bad .. I can print now, so will diagnose the scanner later.

Please let me know if you solved the bonjour problem too! Because I can see TiVo, it is starting to look like a printer setup, but who knows.

I'll get in touch abut the scanner/bonjour problem as soon as I have any luck with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.