Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Well after running away to grad school for two years it's time for job interviewing again. Since the last time I interviewed(years and years ago) I've decided to grow a beard, but at least according to my very conservative mother this is a big no-no when interviewing.

It's 2011, are beard-havers still discriminated against? Do interviewers even care any more as long as the facial hair is groomed and not off the wall? Anyone here do the bearded interview?

Thanks and beard power!

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Beards are perfectly acceptable, so long as you're applying for a job as a sea captain.

image_3.png

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Hit or miss. It can be used to screw with how old you look.
I more than likely going to shave mine off when I start interviewing to make me look 5-6 years younger but then again I am almost 28 and I am going after some internships that often people in early 20's are after.

As much as it pains me I am going to shave it off to look more like I am in my early 20's instead of 27-28 like I do. I will admit that a will grow it back shortly after I get the job.
When I was going after my first job I left it on as it made me look older and look like I was more 22-23 which was the norm.

Biggest thing is it depends how fast you can grow it. Some people to get a good facial hair or get back where it was takes very long time. For me to regrow it back to what I have and like takes about a week so not a big deal to me.

stev3n

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
Well after running away to grad school for two years it's time for job interviewing again. Since the last time I interviewed(years and years ago) I've decided to grow a beard, but at least according to my very conservative mother this is a big no-no when interviewing.

It's 2011, are beard-havers still discriminated against? Do interviewers even care any more as long as the facial hair is groomed and not off the wall? Anyone here do the bearded interview?

Thanks and beard power!

I am in the same boat but I have phone interview this week. I'm also new to growing a beard.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Depends on the job.

And yes, when hiring people I have rejected candidates based on their appearance (beard included). I have never hired people based on their appearance though ;). My PA is a very ugly old woman.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You may be discriminated because of anything. The thing is, you will never know what is the reason. Shaving your beard does not guarantee that you will get the job, but neither does keeping it guarantee that you will not get it.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
It's the old when in doubt, always do routine here. If you have enough concern to make it a post on a public forum I think you know the answer.

Now go be a good little boy and shave that beard for mommy. ;)

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I agree with what everyone has said. While it may not hurt, why risk it? Granted I wouldn't want to be a part of a place that made such an important decision based upon facial hair. But I wouldn't risk it. Shave it.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I'd shave it now, and if you get hired, I'd grow it back again when it's too late and they legally can't fire a guy because he has a beard. ;)

Except they can. Even the U.S. Military doesn't allow beards anymore.

I see no problem with a properly groomed beard. I've had one since high school, and it's never been an obstacle to finding a job.

Too lazy to shave = too lazy to work...

There's a massive difference between "growing a beard" and "too lazy to shave."

Growing a beard means you do shave - a properly-kept beard should have well-defined edges, be neatly trimmed, combed/brushed, etc. just like the hair on top of your head. "Not shaving" is just that, and it looks terrible by comparison.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Except they can. Even the U.S. Military

There's a massive difference between "growing a beard" and "too lazy to shave."

Growing a beard means you do shave - a properly-kept beard should have well-defined edges, be neatly trimmed, combed/brushed, etc. just like the hair on top of your head. "Not shaving" is just that, and it looks terrible by comparison.

Very true but lets be fair it does require less work so to speak.
Part of the reason I have a goatee looking facile hair is it looks better threw out the day on me. My facile hair grows very quickly, in fairly thick and I have very dark colored hair. Not a good combo as I will have that shadow look on my face with in a few hours. Now I keep everything trimmed and shave elsewhere but it because of the facile hair were I do keep it that little extra growth does not look as out of place.

I can not grow a full beard as it does grow in patchy.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
As for shaving it then growing it back this is a bad idea. They may not allow this even if they allow a full beard. Due to the time in between stopping shaving and having a set beard your face is covered with stubble making you look unkempt.

Though as to whether or not you should keep it depends on how the beard looks. If scraggly or patchy then shave. If you have a face that looks good with a beard then keep it, some guys just don't look right with a beard. Also the beard should be shorter than your hair.

I'd say it takes more work. If you are clean shaven you just have to scrape all the hair off your face. While with a beard you have to carefully trace the line to keep from shaving off too much or too little. Plus time taken to groom the beard and keep it trimmed.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Beards are perfectly acceptable, so long as you're applying for a job as a sea captain.

image_3.png
As ships' captains go that is a particulalrly bad choice. :D:D
Poor captain Smith…

I'd say it takes more work. If you are clean shaven you just have to scrape all the hair off your face. While with a beard you have to carefully trace the line to keep from shaving off too much or too little. Plus time taken to groom the beard and keep it trimmed.
Exactly. People who say growing a beard is less of a chore have no idea of the amount of work involved.

Beards are suggested, IF they completely cover your facial tattoos.
I laughed out loud. :D

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Thanks and beard power!

I landed my job as an IT Administrator at the World Health Organization of the United Nations with a beard and long hair and wore leather pants and Slayer and Iron Maiden T-Shirts at work. I also had a T-Shirt saying "No, I will not fix your computer" that was very popular with the staff. Okay, this was the UN Campus in Bonn, Germany, that I'm talking about and I was working there in the years 2004 - 2007. The UN Campus in Bonn is VERY relaxed and not as political as the offices in Geneva or New York. But the environment is still very bureaucratic, which is why I eventually quit in my fourth year there. Bureaucracy kills your creativity and your brain.

Anyway. I'm still in IT today (but with the focus on global satellite communication), and I still have long hair, a beard and wear black jeans and T-Shirts at work. Just like I always did.

Something tells me that it might be the person and what the person can do that counts. But then again, I do not want to work in marketing and sales or at a bank or an insurance company where the business atire is more important than the person in the uniform - ahem - suit.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

Oh, I disagree. In fact,

Definitely this.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I landed my job as an IT Administrator at the World Health Organization of the United Nations with a beard and long hair and wore leather pants and Slayer and Iron Maiden T-Shirts at work. I also had a T-Shirt saying "No, I will not fix your computer" that was very popular with the staff. Okay, this was the UN Campus in Bonn, Germany, that I'm talking about and I was working there in the years 2004 - 2007. The UN Campus in Bonn is VERY relaxed and not as political as the offices in Geneva or New York. But the environment is still very bureaucratic, which is why I eventually quit in my fourth year there. Bureaucracy kills your creativity and your brain.

Anyway. I'm still in IT today (but with the focus on global satellite communication), and I still have long hair, a beard and wear black jeans and T-Shirts at work. Just like I always did.

Something tells me that it might be the person and what the person can do that counts. But then again, I do not want to work in marketing and sales or at a bank or an insurance company where the business atire is more important than the person in the uniform - ahem - suit.

Of course with IT a beard and long hair just increases your perceived computer expertise. I would recommend any guy going for IT to grow a scraggly beard and wear a stained Star Trek shirt (preferably an actual uniform). You'll be given the IT job before even speaking.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Prejudices against facial hair just plain out suck. While I can understand not wanting to hire cave hermit bill, there's a huge difference between a trimmed beard and a wild one.

I personally hate shaving. My facial hair is very dark, so it's something that needs to be done every day or so. This wouldn't be so bad in itself, but then on top of that I can't shave too closely to or ingrown hairs are caused. The result is that when I shave, it can't be a full shave or I'm gonna have problems.

So even when having to trim, keeping a beard and 'stache is a LOT easier. If people have a problem with it, they can just go screw themselves... it's their own loss.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Look at the males employed by said prospective employer. If the clear majority have beards, keep it. If they do not, shave it. You want to appear as though you already belong- even if the appearance is simply subconscious.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Shave the beard and leave a mustache.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/business/Study-More-Mustache--More-Money-63930997.html

A study performed by Quicken and the American Mustache Institute (yes, there is an American Mustache Institute) revealed that mustachioed men make more than their bearded and clean-shaven compatriots.

The report, titled "Saving and Spending Patterns of Mustached Americans," showed mustached men don't just make a hair more than co-workers, but 8.2 percent more than men sporting beards and 4.3 percent more than clean-shaven men.

In addition, men with mustaches are more likely to get hired at job interviews, Reuters reported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.