Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
couple questions regarding handbrake...

is there any way to add multiple files in the queue instead of converting one at a time? I've tried and can't find a way to do this.

for the destination folder, is there way to set the path for a specific folder?
for the life of me, i can't figure this out.
i've created a new folder where i'm putting my converted videos.
when i go to find this new folder using the "browse" button, the folder is not coming up.

help?

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
Yes, I'm not sure what version you are using. But, on mine 0.9.5 when you get all your setting done you just click on the the "Add to Queue" button. It's right next to the Pause button. Looks like a picture of a sunset with a palm tree in it...

As far as the save directory, it seems to just default to the last folder that you save too. Haven't ever looked into setting it any other way.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Yep got the same version.

I think I got it now...
to add files I was clicking on the "add to queue" button like you mentioned.
only I was being prompted every time if i wanted to overwrite the file.
so instead i went back to the source button and added from there.
it seemed to work.

as for the file folder, it just popped up now.
what... a whole day later?? driving me nuts all day yesterday and part of this morning.

thanks!

LateOne

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
S . Yorks
Ha , I was going to say what sportster said, but then he said it. If its not intuitive for you to do what you want to do, then get that version ( or later ) and it should be plain to see.

It works very well.

There's only one very slightly annoying bug where the last entry ( of original movies ) in the queue is not unlocked/released, so having Trashed it you can't empty until you quit HB.

I'll forgive them !!.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Sorry to bump this thread again...

I thought I had the queue figured out but I was wrong.
I'm still only being able to do one at a time.

So after I had my first file to convert, I then have to hit the "Add to Queue" button, the one with the palm tree, right?
Well I do that and then I get prompted if I want to over write the current file being converted.
What do I do, say yes?

On a side note, is there a reason why when I convert some of my files are MP4 while others are M4V? I haven't tinkered with the settings and all the files are FLV.

Help?

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Sorry to bump this thread again...

I thought I had the queue figured out but I was wrong.
I'm still only being able to do one at a time.

So after I had my first file to convert, I then have to hit the "Add to Queue" button, the one with the palm tree, right?
Well I do that and then I get prompted if I want to over write the current file being converted.
What do I do, say yes?

On a side note, is there a reason why when I convert some of my files are MP4 while others are M4V? I haven't tinkered with the settings and all the files are FLV.

Help?

not trying to point you away from the forum, but I have a couple of video tutorials here http://osxtechtips.com/?p=195 that might help.

Basically, open the file source you want to convert or compress within handbrake.

There is an option drawer on the right that will open and allow you to choose from Presets for converting, select the one you want to use.

Name the file to be created and the location it will be put.

Click the 'Add to Queue' button at the top of the window. There should also be a 'Show Queue' button so you can see what's in the Queue.

Now, repeat until you have the shows you want to convert in the Queue.

Click the start button (looks like a 'Play' button with the triangle facing right), and the first video in the Queue should begin converting.

Petter99

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Google misfire ... Registered just to say that as of early 2012 you can't easily add multiple files to a queue. I'm just as sorry as you are.

SonicSquirrel

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
A faster, easier way...

It is true you can NOT add multiple files to your queue at one time in handbrake.

BUT - I have found a faster way to process multiple files. Heres how:

1. Create a folder for all episodes of show (I put this on the desktop because it's easier for me).
  2. Put all episodes in folder.
  3. Open Handbrake
  4. Click the "source" icon (directors clipboard).
  5. Here's the important part - Select the folder name NOT a file within it.
  6. Once you have parent folder selected it will display the folder name in the summary pane after "Source:"
  7. The "Title" dropdown directly under it now actually behaves as a dropdown. Select the first episode file of your show.
  8. The "Destination" field beneath "Title" should change with the new destination file name. Change it if you need to and hit "Add to Queue"
  9. Select next file name from "Title" dropdown - repeat et al.
  10. Pro-tip: name your files accurately before hand and the destination file will rename itself correctly with no changes needed by you. You can fly through a batch of 12 episodes in about 30 seconds.

Hope that helps!

pwrmacg4

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
I know this is an old thread, don't hate me for bringing it back to life. I was looking for how to do this and I've figured it out! If you add the source folder like SonicSquirrel was saying, you can choose File>Add All Titles To Queue... and it works like a charm! This is using Handbrake 0.9.8 x86_64, so I'm not sure when they implemented this feature.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Sorry to bump an old thread but I figured I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread since my question is pertinent to this.

I've been using HandBrake for a few years, although I'm not super comfortable with it as I only use it for a couple of repetitive tasks, namely converting BRRips to MKV files with 1.78 AR and constant frame rates.

My question relates to the Queue. I usually have a bunch of files being batched processed (typically 5-10 large files) and I've never needed to edit my queue but today I have a need to bump up the last file in the queue so that it's next in line. I.E. I currently have 8 files in the queue, first 3 are complete and it's now working on number 4 of 8. The last one in the queue (no. 8) I'd like to bump up so that it becomes no. 5.

Is that possible?

I tried a few things like dragging the last file up the queue but it doesn't seem to stick. I tried the EDIT feature while in the queue but that only edits the settings for that individual file, not the sequence.

I know I could just remove numbers 5 to 7 from the queue and that would make the 8th file next in line but I would then have to redo all the settings for the three removed files which is time consuming. I was just hoping to edit the queue sequence.

I'd appreciate any input for veteran HB users. FWIW, I'm using version 0.9.9 x86_64.

ValoriMyst

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Destination?

I am new with using handbreak. I am trying to convert a movie file from .mkv to .mp4

But my problem is that I cant pick a desitnation. There are no files? And of course I cant convert the file without a destination. Help?

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
On the main screen of handbrake there is a section that says destination. Mine defaults to my desktop, you can press the browse button and then select the place you want to send it to. I hope this helps.

cvl

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
Here is how it works in version 0.0.9.5470

This was driving me a little crazy..

1. Select a destination folder.

2. Select the Source icon and choose select file.

3. Navigate to the file and select it. Click OK.

4. Click the Add to Queue icon.

5. Repeat.

It's that simple.

If you receive an error, click Show Queue. Clear all items in the queue by clicking the red x's. Then start from step 2 listed in this post.

It's simple once you understanding what's happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.