Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
It must be some Flash based bug (ironically) that is screwing up Illustrator.

So if you have this trouble, it too and your not using firefox, just try closing out of all of your open web pages, no matter what browser.

Strangely I always guessed (without putting any thought into it) that it was a JavaScript issue... But I think your theory is far more likely.

spillahcrown

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
I had the same problem in CS5. All my quick keys stopped functioning. I read this thread, quit firefox and Illustrator started to work again.

Very strange.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
This has been bugging me for a really long time. I just ignore it mostly, but then I randomly find myself super annoyed by it (like right now). I too find that it happens with both Chrome and Firefox.

I am finding a tentative connection with logging in to various things, like Basecamp for instance. If I fire up Illustrator and I'm already logged in using Chrome, keys disabled. Log out, close down browser and problem solved. I can then open Chrome and log back in and work normally. I could be mistaken about the connection, but that's been my feeling for a long time.

Also I think the above solution works more consistently with Chrome than FF. I have been using Chrome more and more for both work and casual browsing.

It's silly but damn is it annoying. Big shame that it persists in CS5. Can I get a big WTF?

mmcvicar

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
RealPlayer Downloader

I was having the same issue with the space bar shortcut not working in Illustrator CS4 and I used Activity Monitor to quit the program "RealPlayer Downloader". That fixed the problem once I restarted Illustrator, but I haven't been able to recreate that issue, so it might just be general interference from other applications that causes this problem. Good Luck!

A

autacraft

For Future Reference

I cant remember the past bugs of CS3/4 or if they had this functionality, but on CS5 you can check the status of keyboard commands and shortcuts but going to your file bar then EDIT....KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS.

This will display a complete list of assigned (either default or set) tools and menu command shortcuts - you can also re-set to default.

I'm posting this, because if previous versions do have that function its a good way to accertain if its a fault within Illustrator or an other app conflict i.e - if illustrator shows that you have 'spacebar' enabled for dragging and it isnt working, then chances are its conflicting with another app, if it displays that spacebar isnt assigned for dragging, assign it again and see what happens!

Cheers

markd61

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Thank you Jag-Mac-2010!

Yeah this is an older thread but it has the answer.

That is exactly what was causing my problem in Photoshop CS5.

I had switched to Chrome and I did have a couple of windows open. Closing them but not quitting Chrome solved the problem.

droon

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Same here with illustrator cs5 and the new firefox 4.
I quit firefox and fixed it was.

It has to be something in osx that's set up stupidly.

ladySubrosa

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
I am just coming in here to confirm that it has to be some kind of website related thing. Closing Basecamp specifically fixed this issue for me. So, for someone else it was Mint.com. Be mindful of websites like that that may use flash or javascript in a way that overrides your keyboard function.

slazareth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
For me it was youtube.com causing the issue. Regardless of site I'm pretty sure this is a flash issue. My guess is that it happens mostly with flash video as flash video usually has a keyboard shortcut of spacebar to play/pause video.

MacPhyle

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2003
Sequim, WA
I was having the same issue. VERY frustrating. After reading this thread I noticed that I, too had Firefox opened (same as ox4dboy). So I quit firefox and my keyboard shortcuts were back! Seems like a pretty obscure bug.

It was Google Chrome for me, but thanks for the info - relaunching Chrome did the trick!

oNo

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Germany
screensharing/vcn/applejack

For me, messing with the 'Screensharing' caused the whole issue. Running 'Applejack' solved it.
Thx for all the input

xocasil

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
I was having the same issue. VERY frustrating. After reading this thread I noticed that I, too had Firefox opened (same as ox4dboy). So I quit firefox and my keyboard shortcuts were back! Seems like a pretty obscure bug.

When I closed out FireFox, everything started working again.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
weird, quitting Chrome did the trick for me, does it use some shared components... ?

ivnbrv

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Had the same issue... just trashed plist cntr+opt+cmmd and disabled spotlight... thats it... it work'd

Thanks mates!

monsieurmorris

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Turning off fonts kills this bug

Seems if you have too many fonts activated this bug pops up now and then. An easy fix is to disable a bunch and try again.

mckinleymedia

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Same issue for me - fixed by closing Chrome

I had to force quit Chrome. Immediately Illustrator started working again. I've never had this issue before and am in Illustrator every day.

mattbepler

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
web-related, likely Flash

All the other fixes... trash Ai prefs, quit Word, quit Firefox didn't work for me. All I had open was Safari, and a few sites. Quit Safari, keys worked immediately. I agree with post that said likely flash... like YouTube or other sites. I have Not tested that all the way out, but that seems like it. And yes, Ironic... Adobe, and flash... conflict?

thepitcanary

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
I had to force quit Chrome. Immediately Illustrator started working again. I've never had this issue before and am in Illustrator every day.

I've just had the select tool alt functions - hand / zoom / scale functionality - die in InDesign 5.5.

I checked that Spotlight wasn't hijacking it (it does that) in keyboard shortcuts then killed Chrome (lots of windows open, though not as many as 31!) as recommended and instantly bam, those alt functions are back. So whatever it is, yeah there's obviously some random browser/flash hijacking going on.

thanks for the help, MR people!

tduane62

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
I have the answer to how to avoid disabling the spacebar hand tool shortcut

If you use COMMAND-H to hide a window while any Adobe software is running, it disables the spacebar hand tool shortcut. I've tried every other solution and this is the only one that has worked for the past four weeks. So do NOT use COMMAND-H to hide windows. If you do so, and disable the shortcut, the only way to get it working again is to re-start your machine.

anteanterior

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
Adobe vs. Flash

Whaaaaaat? This is the weirdest bug I've seen in quite a while. Now on os 10.8.4, yet still with CS4, and this thing persists.
And yes, quitting Safari (with an open youtube window) solved it.

m

Äpfelchen

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2013
CS 5 here, same problem.
I confirm that the app-closing trick worked for me.

Closing the application 1Password did it for me. I couldn’t reproduce the problem though. I agree that this might be coincidence and that 1Password might not be the actual culprit.

Thanks so much to all of you for your suggestions!

jimmy2names

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
Finally after trying everything, I got it sorted!

Hi All,

Thanks for all your posts about possible processes and apps etc stopping the space bar from using the hand tool.

I have webroot anti-virus (used to be prevx) I closed it down and straight away the hand tool was back. I opened it again and no hand tool. I went in to the settings and there was a setting under 'Realtime Shield' with a tick in the box for 'Secure keyboard entry mode' I took the tick out and everything is fine in Photoshop once again. I even have Chrome open with the webroot password manager plugin running with no problems. It was just that secure keyboard entry bugger messing things up. I assume other anti-virus programs might have something similar. It's worth a go if nothing else has worked. I guess this should sort other Adobe products with the same feature. Now I can re-install all the programs I took off trying to sort this out! :)

Good luck, I hope this helps some of you. :D

All the best,

Jimmy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.