Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
I really don't care about the base 13"
Sounds like a big deal with the new Thunderbolt..... just keeps reminding me of Pikachu
Can't wait to know the 15" high end model...
I've been using my mac for 4 years, the Santa Rosa version in mid 2007...... it's time for me to get a new mac.......................!!!!!

images

http://www.mac4ever.com/news/60813/macbook_pro_13_de_nouvelles_photos_du_port_thunderbolt/

Legit pics.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I call fake too. I don't see apple naming their product "thunderbolt". Hahaha. Seriously.

Even though Arne confirmed it?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Let's compare now that it's confirmed.

It's better obviously, but by how much?

Processor > Huge Leap
Memory > Slight Speed Increase
Hard Drive > Larger, but no SSD
Resolution > Same and disappointing
Graphics > Almost No Change In Speed
Camera > Better Resolution
Size > No Change

Light Peak could be a game changer, however. It enables faster external hard drives. Plus, we don't know what other configurations will be available. Perhaps they will offer a higher resolution version of the 13". Also, they will definitely offer a 13" with an SSD (they do already, but at $1999). I'm guessing the SSD-equipped 13" Pro will match the Air's $1799 price point and may sport the 1400x900 screen.

The 4.5lb weight is a bit disappointing after all the rumors of a 3.7lb design. Perhaps Apple is concerned about cannibalization of the 13" MacBook Air.

chris617

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Try not to compare two completely different I/O technologies here... "LightPeak" is a bi-directional, full-protocol stack, where DisplayPort just drives a display. The same number of copper pins/SERDES channels could easily support much greater bandwidth when driving a display (all of the twisted pairs used in a single direction, for 2x the bandwidth), vs. when configured for bi-directional transfer. It sounds like this iteration simply adds pins to the DisplayPort connector, so you can use either/or, but it does NOT sound like Apple is yet layering DisplayPort on top of a LightPeak protocol stack, which it (hopefully) intends to do in the future.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
don't forget:

- no more white MacBook (Apple goes back to two lines of 13" inchers)
- 16 GB SSD mSATA drives on all models to store the system
- Core i3 and third USB port on the 13" model
- Matte screen option on the higher-end 13"
- Option to replace the SuperDrive with a SSD on the 15 and 17" models
- HD screens on all models : 1440x900 on the 13", 1680x1050 on the 15"
- 200 to 300 grams lighter : 1.8 kg for the 13", 2.3 kg for the 15", 2.65 kg for the 17"
- Better battery life : 12 hours on the 13", 10 hours on the 15"
- 8 GB of RAM on the 17

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/22/macbook-pro-specs-leaked-ssd-better-battery-new-technology/

I trust this as a nice leak for the higher end models

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
Why is it so disappointing? The Intel HD 3000 does better than the 320m available in some of the Macbook Pros plus an i5 processor which is also a definite improvement over the Core2Duo that was available.

We are talking about the low end Macbook Pro here, not the mid-to-high ones. I think you're expecting too much.

I'm not expecting anything, since I'm not in the market for a 13"-MBP. Still, a "pro"-laptop in 2011 with that display resolution would be a joke. It's not about expectations, it's about reality, especially if you consider that Apple currently offers two ultraportables that both offer a higher resolution than this (and one of these ultraportables has a freaking 11"-screen).

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
With this being the base model, I have higher hopes for the 15" higher end models. I'd love a design refresh, but I won't hold out forever for a new model as my 2006 model is looking really long in the tooth. Everyone sets such high standards for Apple that when the final product is delivered, everyone is disappointed. Remember NOTHING is confirmed, until Apple confirms it. Either way I will be buying a new MacBook Pro tomorrow, or whenever they are released.

I think it's safe to say that the redesign will take place in 2012. If you can hold out until then!!!

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Processor is good, the i5 is way better than a C2D.

My concern is the Intel HD, is it better than the Nvidia integrated GPU's?

My guess is that the 15" will have the HD and the Nvidia discreet, like it does now.

The screen should be 1440x900, like the Air.

We need to see some benchmarks on that GPU......

Well here's the deal. The new sandy bridge processors feature the graphics processor built onto the actual CPU. This is supposed to significantly speed up bandwidth. You also have to consider that the FSB is being upped to 1333 from 1033. This computer is going to be significantly faster in both gaming and general tasks than the 2010 Macbook Pro 13". You can count on it.

KJL3000

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
current mini display port pin out...

any idea where the lightpeak signal would be going through? May the AUX chanel be enough?

MDP Pin Out:

Pin 1 GND Ground
Pin 2 Hot Plug Detect Hot Plug Detect
Pin 3 ML_Lane 0 (p) Lane 0 (positive)
Pin 4 CONFIG1 CONFIG1
Pin 5 ML_Lane 0 (n) Lane 0 (negative)
Pin 6 CONFIG2 CONFIG2
Pin 7 GND Ground
Pin 8 GND Ground
Pin 9 ML_Lane 1 (p) Lane 1 (positive)
Pin 10 ML_Lane 3 (p) Lane 3 (positive)
Pin 11 ML_Lane 1 (n) Lane 1 (negative)
Pin 12 ML_Lane 3 (n) Lane 3 (negative)
Pin 13 GND Ground
Pin 14 GND Ground
Pin 15 ML_Lane 2 (p) Lane 2 (positive)
Pin 16 AUX_CH (p) Auxiliary Channel (positive)
Pin 17 ML_Lane 2 (n) Lane 2 (negative)
Pin 18 AUX_CH (n) Auxiliary Channel (negative)
Pin 19 GND Ground
Pin 20 DP_PWR Power for connector

(SRC: URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort[/URL])

crcfl

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
A few questions:

I picked up a MacBook Pro last week and then learned of the refresh. I had been planning to swap it out for the new one. Here are the specs of my current one:

13”
2.66 GHz C2D
4GB 1066 MHz Ram
320GB SATA @ 5400

If these released specs are true – I am wondering if an upgrade is worth it. Honestly, I will probably rarely use “Thunderbolt.”

Is a 2.3 GHz i5 going to be considerably faster than what I have now? It sounds like the intel graphics card may be worse (or at least not that much better) than the Nvidia 320. Is this correct?

I hope these specs are for the base model. I would love to get a higher resolution screen, SSD, a little lighter, etc.. Maybe I will have to look at the 15” models.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Light Peak could be a game changer, however. It enables faster external hard drives. Plus, we don't know what other configurations will be available. Perhaps they will offer a higher resolution version of the 13". Also, they will definitely offer a 13" with an SSD (they do already, but at $1999). I'm guessing the SSD-equipped 13" Pro will match the Air's $1799 price point and may sport the 1400x900 screen.

The 4.5lb weight is a bit disappointing after all the rumors of a 3.7lb design. Perhaps Apple is concerned about cannibalization of the 13" MacBook Air.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I think all these rumors seriously dampen the effect new Apple products have. Our expectations fly soar high.

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
So the GPU is WORSE!? Damn.

We don't know if it's actually worse. We're all well aware of Apple's relationship with Intel. Chances are it's a proprietary GPU designed by Intel specifically for the MBP. With Apple's recent move toward gaming on their iOS devices, I don't see them taking a step back when it comes to the GPU. Of course, we will all know what the benchmarks are once these get into the hands of the public. My guess is that the Intel integrated outperforms the GeForce.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Thunderbolt -> Copper light peak
Lightning bolt -> Optical light peak

And the line is just the end of the plastic: if you look at the magsafe, there's plastic covering half of it; therefore, the line on the USB must be the end of the plastic.

I think Apple will do this:

Macbook Air
Macbook Pro 13inch (to replace Macbook)-> these specs
Macbook Pro 13inch 2nd option -> Better display; better graphics; SSD for OS X; USB 3.0 (joking, but, seriously, I'd love USB 3.0 on the MBP line. However, unfortunately, I can't see that happening until, 2012.)

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
A few questions:

I picked up a MacBook Pro last week and then learned of the refresh. I had been planning to swap it out for the new one. Here are the specs of my current one:

13”
2.66 GHz C2D
4GB 1066 MHz Ram
320GB SATA @ 5400

If these released specs are true – I am wondering if an upgrade is worth it. Honestly, I will probably rarely use “Thunderbolt.”

Is a 2.3 GHz i5 going to be considerably faster than what I have now? It sounds like the intel graphics card may be worse (or at least not that much better) than the Nvidia 320. Is this correct?

I hope these specs are for the base model. I would love to get a higher resolution screen, SSD, a little lighter, etc.. Maybe I will have to look at the 15” models.

Comparing an I5 vs a Core2Duo is like comparing computers that are 6 years apart. The C2duo was built on 2004-2005 tech while the I5 was built on 2010 tech. There are significant benefits that you can get from having a core I5 even if its not a quad core.

Maury053

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
New York City
What time can we expect them to make the new models available online?? Any chances they will offer a significant discount on the current models new or refurbished besides the current refurb discount?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.