Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Can I listen to the radio on my iPod Touch? Like actually listen to a radio station?

Also, if it is possible, how do I do it? Is there an app I need to download and can I do it without WiFi?

Thanks. Still new to this thing. I would think it would have it because my SANSA MP3 player had it.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Can I listen to the radio on my iPod Touch? Like actually listen to a radio station?

Also, if it is possible, how do I do it? Is there an app I need to download and can I do it without WiFi?

Thanks. Still new to this thing. I would think it would have it because my SANSA MP3 player had it.

In answer to your first question, without a wifi hook up no.

as for the second observation your Sansa could do it because Sansa players have a built FM tuner.

Taeyeon

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Your respective country should have their local radio application in the iTune store. You can download other country radio app too. :D

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
If you want to be able to listen to actual broadcast local FM radio stations, then the iPod touch won't do it directly.

But if your favourite local radio station also has a web feed (many do), and if it also has an iOS app to let you tune in on an iOS device (some do, others may not), then you can use the iOS app to listen to the station wherever there's a WiFi connection. But you must have a WiFi connection for this to work. (Incidentally, this option would also allow you to listen to feeds from other far-away radio stations that do not broadcast locally.)

On the other hand, if you really need to be able to listen to local FM radio stations even when there is no WiFi connection, or if you need to listen to local stations which do not offer a web feed (or an iOS app to tune in to the web feed), then the iPod nano may be more to your liking. It, like your Sansa player, has a built-in FM tuner.

Additionally, there are 3rd-party accessories you can plug into the dock connector, which add FM tuner functionality to the iPod touch.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Some old computers have the ability to use a floppy drive too.

TuneIn Radio (wifi) works great.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Some old computers have the ability to use a floppy drive too.

As with every situation in life, you gotta use the right tool for the job.

FM radio still has a perfectly legitimate role to play in situations where you really want to listen to live radio (or need to, for example, to keep up with emergency news reports), but there's no WiFi nearby.

When necessary, every modern computer with an available USB port can still use a floppy drive, if it's absolutely necessary. In like manner, there are accessories, or dedicated devices you can use to tune into FM radio where necessary. (But by now, of course, floppy discs have significantly fewer legitimate uses than listening to FM radio.)

If you happen to live in an area where WiFi is literally available everywhere, and there's never any period of time when you pass through any place where there's no publicly available WiFi reception, then congratulations to you. You're still in the minority.

TuneIn Radio (wifi) works great.
TuneIn Radio (wifi) is absolutely useless and doesn't work at all during my morning commute, because it uses WiFi.

Diksha

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
You can get an extension for the iPod that would let you though. Apple make their own or there’s one called the ‘iRadio’. Both are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.