Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

140156-china_telecom_cdma_iphone.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports that employees of Chinese carrier China Telecom have successfully jailbroken and unlocked the CDMA iPhone 4, getting the device to run on the company's network.
Employees of the Guangdong branch of China Telecom teased users this week with a post on its microblog saying they were working on a way to crack Verizon Wireless' CDMA iPhone, suggesting users might be able to use the device on China Telecom's network.

A post signed the "Apple Lab Team" on the Sina Weibo account identified as belonging to the Guangdong branch of China Telecom said Tuesday the "CDMA iPhone 4 has made its first call in China" without a hitch. Preceding posts included a photo of a Verizon Wireless iPhone beside a tag labeled China Telecom Guangdong, then a photo of the device displaying the home screen for Cydia, a software application that allows users to find applications and software packages for jailbroken Apple devices.
China Telecom has reportedly been in talks with Apple to offer the CDMA iPhone 4 and a new report from Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White points to hints that a deal is probably coming sometime this year.
"The key takeaway," writes White, "is that the relationship between Apple and China Telecom is clearly moving in the right direction, and we believe that a deal will eventually be announced this year."
China Telecom currently has 90.5 million subscribers, putting it only slightly behind Verizon and AT&T in terms of total subscriber base.

Article Link: CDMA iPhone Unlocked to Run on China Telecom Network, Deal Coming?

timothyjay2004

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I wonder how they got to that screen on the Verizon iPhone? I can't find it anywhere on mine. Not that it is a huge deal, just wondered how they got to that screen?

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
I don't see the fact that the company is publicly endorsing jailbreaking & unlocking as an indication that a deal with Apple is coming soon, but whatever...

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Unless I'm not understanding something correctly, I was always under the impression that an unlock on a CDMA phone didn't even exist because the phone's not "locked" -- the network provider only has to add the phone's ESN to its database.

Given that these were some employees of the provider, it really wouldn't be hard to add the Verizon iPhone to its network.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe that you still need to program the NAM on the phone, but having never seen a Verizon iPhone I don't know whether a jailbreak is required for that or not. You'd also need to know the SPC although I read somewhere that all Verizon phones just use 000000.

timothyjay2004

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Unless I'm not understanding something correctly, I was always under the impression that an unlock on a CDMA phone didn't even exist because the phone's not "locked" -- the network provider only has to add the phone's ESN to its database.

Given that these were some employees of the provider, it really wouldn't be hard to add the Verizon iPhone to its network.

You are very correct. Only part that might be different and require a modification would be carrier settings. I'm not 100% sure how the iPhone works, but I would assume that there are some kind of carrier settings that tell the iPhone what servers to use for that carrier etc. When I used to mod my motorola v3m, I would take a brazilian carrier's software (because verizons for it sucked) and install it, but then had to rewrite manually each verizon specific setting back to it. It wasnt difficult, but it wasnt easy. GSM is different, the GSM card has everything the phone needs to know for the most part. So, Yes, in theory all China Telecom would have to do is add the ESNs, but i don't know if it would be able to do data.. cell calls yes, but data out of the box, probably not.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
I don't see the fact that the company is publicly endorsing jailbreaking & unlocking as an indication that a deal with Apple is coming soon, but whatever...

So true, how to get Apple to want to work on your network.

Step 1 Hack the Phone..

Step 2... there is no step 2

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
If a customer jailbreaks the iPhone, Apple blacklists the device and turns the water hose on the "offender." So what happens when the jailbreaker is a telecom company?

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

sectime said:
I wonder how they got to that screen on the Verizon iPhone? I can't find it anywhere on mine. Not that it is a huge deal, just wondered how they got to that screen?
Settings/Phone/Verizon Services

Was just about to post this. LOL

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
There's a video of a Verizon iPhone 4 running on Sprint. Thought I don't believe it lol.

Verizon iPhone 4 Unlocked for Sprint

Something about it doesn't sound right...

Something doesn't sound right because it's a load of garbage. Unless he's a Sprint employee who is able to provision new devices on the Sprint network, his video is a fake.

It's not as simple as unlocking the GSM iPhone to work on a network other than AT&T or placing some random file on the phone.

Omniblast

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
So true, how to get Apple to want to work on your network.

Step 1 Hack the Phone..

Step 2... there is no step 2

I thought the steps were like this.

1) Obtain a iPhone

2) Hack iPhone

3) ?????

4) Profit!

ment

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011

140156-china_telecom_cdma_iphone.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports that employees of Chinese carrier China Telecom have successfully jailbroken and unlocked the CDMA iPhone 4, getting the device to run on the company's network.China Telecom has reportedly been in talks with Apple to offer the CDMA iPhone 4 and a new report from Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White points to hints that a deal is probably coming sometime this year.China Telecom currently has 90.5 million subscribers, putting it only slightly behind Verizon and AT&T in terms of total subscriber base.

Article Link: CDMA iPhone Unlocked to Run on China Telecom Network, Deal Coming?
Free download:confused:

adulti

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
ny
Not yet

still don't see any deal here, i'm in shanghai, china for more than 6 month!

i've been waiting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.