Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madnhain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
My son just moved back into the home from college so I created a guest network on my time capsule to allow him internet, but keep him separate from the rest of my network. He's online playing games constantly and I'm getting rather tired of asking him to shut the games off till I finish my work because of the bandwidth he's consuming.

Is there a way to limit the amount of bandwidth the guest account uses? or even something along the lines of parental controls which allow certain times of usage?

this question has been asked previously in other forums with negative results, but I haven't come across a post concerning this in the past year or so.

Thanks!

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
If you want to limit the times that your son is allowed online, you can use Access Control (MAC address filtering) using AirPort Utility. I believe this will be applied to the guest network as well as the main network.

I haven't heard of a way to limit/throttle bandwidth usage on the AirPort Base Stations though.

madnhain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
ok thanks, that allows time constraints... seems like for a guest network it would be a nice feature to be able to limit bandwidth usage though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.