Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olivercross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
It may sound a bit of a dumb question to some, but I won't need to upgrade to snow leopard to upgrade to lion will I, I can upgrade straight from leopard to lion when its released in the summer?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Really?

The Beta developer version is being distributed via Mac App Store. Lion might be distributed the same way (remember that Apple wants to remove software from their stores). In that case you would need Snow Leopard to access the Mac App Store to get Lion.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Really?

The Beta developer version is being distributed via Mac App Store. Lion might be distributed the same way (remember that Apple wants to remove software from their stores). In that case you would need Snow Leopard to access the Mac App Store to get Lion.

The developer preview is distributed that way because developers know how to burn the image onto a disk and get it working that way. The average consumer won't know how or want to do that. There will be a retail disk. It will allow for upgrades directly from Tiger or Leopard in addition to Snow Leopard. After all, Apple will have stopped selling Snow Leopard on the day that Lion is released.

You can quote me on that.

jW

chris h 1997

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2003
USSA
The developer preview is distributed that way because developers know how to burn the image onto a disk and get it working that way. The average consumer won't know how or want to do that. There will be a retail disk. It will allow for upgrades directly from Tiger or Leopard in addition to Snow Leopard. After all, Apple will have stopped selling Snow Leopard on the day that Lion is released.

You can quote me on that.

jW

Looks like it's only available as a download from the App Store. Sucks for those of us with Leopard.

10:38 am Available for everyone else in July
10:38 am New dev preview today.
10:37 am $29.99
10:37 am Buy once. Install on all macs like all Mac app store apps.
10:37 am 4Gb
10:37 am Lion available only on Mac App Store

tollickd

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2010
I live in Cyprus and we don't have access to the app store here so this means i will have to miss out on it until Apple pull its finger out

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I won't be upgrading to Lion if they don't release a DVD version. I can't be doing repeated 4-gig downloads over my slow-ass Verizon 3G connection. It just isn't gonna happen. A 4 gig download, assuming I can even get it done without the connection dropping repeatedly (not likely), will take several DAYS.

WTF are they thinking? Not everybody has a OC-3 internet connection.

Rob

Tulpa

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Looks like it's only available as a download from the App Store. Sucks for those of us with Leopard.

10:38 am Available for everyone else in July
10:38 am New dev preview today.
10:37 am $29.99
10:37 am Buy once. Install on all macs like all Mac app store apps.
10:37 am 4Gb
10:37 am Lion available only on Mac App Store

Also sucks for those of us without broadband connections. :mad:

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I won't be upgrading to Lion if they don't release a DVD version. I can't be doing repeated 4-gig downloads over my slow-ass Verizon 3G connection. It just isn't gonna happen. A 4 gig download, assuming I can even get it done without the connection dropping repeatedly (not likely), will take several DAYS.

WTF are they thinking? Not everybody has a OC-3 internet connection.

Rob
Everyone certainly don't have a slow-ass 3G connection as their only way to access the Internet.

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
my girlfriend and i are both having negative feelings about this...

she, like many others, has been chilling with Leopard and was going to just go straight to Lion. as you all know, that can't happen now.

so now it seems we have to get one of the last 15 snow leopard discs our local best buy has, just so that she can upgrade a month later? not your coolest move, apple.

i just got a new imac last month so i don't have THAT problem, but even still the lack of disc is really worrying me.

it almost seems like a "!@£$ you" to those who haven't bought every upgrade or new mac that has come out recently. i'd be pretty pissed off if i bought a $3k mac pro w/ leopard and was now being told that wasn't good enough for a $29 OS.

/rant

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

she, like many others, has been chilling with Leopard and was going to just go straight to Lion. as you all know, that can't happen now.

so now it seems we have to get one of the last 15 snow leopard discs our local best buy has, just so that she can upgrade a month later? not your coolest move, apple.

i just got a new imac last month so i don't have THAT problem, but even still the lack of disc is really worrying me.

it almost seems like a "!@£$ you" to those who haven't bought every upgrade or new mac that has come out recently. i'd be pretty pissed off if i bought a $3k mac pro w/ leopard and was now being told that wasn't good enough for a $29 OS.

/rant

You can buy 10.6 here:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL?mco=MTM3NTI5NDI

If you haven't upgraded your OS in 2 years, yes, you'll have to spend $29 on SL first. Is that really a big deal?

Mcubed45

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Something Else to Thimk About

For those with Leopard, you may want to double check your processor. If I read the system requirements correctly, you need to have an Intel core 2 Duo processor or newer to run Lion. That may very well rule out some of the older machines out there.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
it almost seems like a "!@£$ you" to those who haven't bought every upgrade or new mac that has come out recently. i'd be pretty pissed off if i bought a $3k mac pro w/ leopard and was now being told that wasn't good enough for a $29 OS..
Would you rather Apple continue to charge $129 for Mac OS that you could use to upgrade from any version? That's the other choice.

So would you rather pay $29 each for Snow Leopard and Lion or $129. Do the math, then buy the needed upgrades.

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
You can buy 10.6 here:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL?mco=MTM3NTI5NDI

If you haven't upgraded your OS in 2 years, yes, you'll have to spend $29 on SL first. Is that really a big deal?

at the end of the day, Leopard users who want Lion will buy the Snow Leopard disc first and it won't be the end of the world. that doesn't mean it was the right thing for apple to do.

this is the first time they've not done a disc with OS X, and i can't help but think, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
Would you rather Apple continue to charge $129 for Mac OS that you could use to upgrade from any version? That's the other choice.

So would you rather pay $29 each for Snow Leopard and Lion or $129. Do the math, then buy the needed upgrades.

I think I came off too harsh in my original post... :(

No, $29 for SL isn't a big deal, it just would've been better to avoid the whole thing by having a Lion disc.

i shall say no more!

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
at the end of the day, Leopard users who want Lion will buy the Snow Leopard disc first and it won't be the end of the world. that doesn't mean it was the right thing for apple to do.

this is the first time they've not done a disc with OS X, and i can't help but think, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Everyone is forgetting the Mac Box Set. It was apple's solution to Tiger users who never went to leopard, why not continue on with it? They upgraded it for iLife '11 so it must have sold enough for them to keep it around. When Lion drops, don't be surprised if a new Mac Box Set with Lion, iLife '11, and iWork '11 drops (iWork Apps Demoed today use Lion APIs, so there are unreleased versions that presumably will be release with or after lion. )

gonutsfordonutz

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
What makes you guys think your computer will even be Lion compatible?

i have a 2008 mac book pro with leopard. on the apple screen it says that "Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac."

my mac has a intel core 2 duo processor. therefore it should be lion compatible.

chris h 1997

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2003
USSA

/rant

Download Lion to your Mac and then you can put it on a disk or flash drive and install it on her machine. My daughter has a Snow Leopard iMac so that's going to be my solution to get Lion on my Core2Duo MacBook Pro.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
i have a 2008 mac book pro with leopard. on the apple screen it says that "Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac."

my mac has a intel core 2 duo processor. therefore it should be lion compatible.

Not just you, the rest of the cry babies in here. They didn't want to spend the crazy $29 for SL and now they are crying because they can't upgrade to Lion. Maybe they should remember when upgrading our OS used to cost us $129. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.