Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
My 2 year old loves the iPad and enjoys this one alphabet app, but aside from that he knows how to unlock the iPad and go into movies and play Toy Story...

...We try to steer away from him just watching movies, but educational/fun apps seem fine.

any recommendations?

alhajis

macrumors member
May 3, 2009
My 2 year old loves the iPad and enjoys this one alphabet app, but aside from that he knows how to unlock the iPad and go into movies and play Toy Story...

...We try to steer away from him just watching movies, but educational/fun apps seem fine.

any recommendations?

Lol! You're doing a great thing by not putting games on it. That's the biggest mistake I did on mine... I put some educational apps and later put some games and he's most drawn into games and I don't like that.

Check this out:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1032199/

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Obviously, you can do want you want, however the iPad is not for two year olds. Get them their own iPad: Leapfrog

http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/jump/Toddler-Toys-(12-36-mo.)/category/lfToddlerToys

I hope there is not another post about how your two year old dropped you ipad. Yeah yeah I know, you watch like a hawk. But I've seen posts here that some how magically their child broke an ipad. One parent on here found their iPad cracked underneath their bed.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Obviously, you can do want you want, however the iPad is not for two year olds. Get them their own iPad: Leapfrog

http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/jump/Toddler-Toys-(12-36-mo.)/category/lfToddlerToys

I hope there is not another post about how your two year old dropped you ipad. Yeah yeah I know, you watch like a hawk. But I've seen posts here that some how magically their child broke an ipad. One parent on here found their iPad cracked underneath their bed.

Thank you very much...something like this would come in handy.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
iPads are not for two year olds. I would not let a 2 year old, in fact anyone under the age of 10 even play with my iPad. Get them the leapfrog.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My 2 year old loves my iPad. Angry birds is his fav.
Nothing wrong with kids using it as long as your sitting with them.
He's really looking forward to 4.2. Lol.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What is the problem. There's loads of really good apps for kids.
Only problem I have is getting it back off him.

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
my 3 year old cousin loved the adobe ideas app on the ipad, there is no way i would let her hold it or use it on here own but i didnt mind her drawing on it while i was there. every time she is round she wants to go on the ipad now, unfortunately i sold it a few weeks ago.

johnlo

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
my 3 yrs old is not allow to use my ipad unless I ok it.... yes i do have 2 apps for him.. the piano and Toy Story...

he does use my wife's iphone which has a lot of his stuff... and i do let him use my ipod classic (video/movies) - only get to use them when 1) in the car. 2) at a resturant 3) on the commute train heading to school. and still those are pretty much the last thing we will do to keep the kid entertain. we have books in the book.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I can't help but wonder how misguided parents are letting young children play with things like this.
Sure it may seem like it's good, but is it?
Is it teaching real world creativity, and real world skills, patience, rewards, or instant gratification?

I'd rather children be creative in the real world with real things using their hands than to stare at a flat screen tapping on things.

I'm guessing there's very little research around to tell you what they long term consequences are of introducing these things at such a young age.

I worry, whilst it might seem like it's a good idea, it may actually be creating more long term damage, attention deficit problems with real word things don't work as well, as fast or as easy as the electronic world.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't help but wonder how misguided parents are letting young children play with things like this.

Are you a parent? Do you have any evidense that this produces ADD?

by the way, people in glass houses.
piggie_sig.png

Your signature line has a long list of game consoles and other electronic toys, you're complaining about a parent who wants to provide education based games to his child :rolleyes:

NQK

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
Alabama, U.S.
My almost 6 year old uses my iphone all the time to play games and read books. So much so that I got her an ipod touch off of ebay so that I could actually use my phone occasionally. :)

I should have an ipad on my porch when I get home this afternoon, and I'll let her play with that too. These things can be great learning tools, just like childrens tv programming, but in moderation of course. She's been reading better than her 9 year old cousin since she turned 4.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Doctors are now saying that computer use might be detrimental to a young child's mental development.

An article last week mentioned that children should not be exposed to computers but, rather be exposed to real objects(they cited Lego in their example) and use their hands and imagination.

I for one wouldn't let a young child ever use a computer.

Joypebble

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008

I'm guessing there's very little research around to tell you what they long term consequences are of introducing these things at such a young age.

Hmmm, I remember back in the '50's, people saying the same about television. So, how many visual artists and writers do you think were early-influenced by this distraction?

In the meantime, this thread started drifting off-topic in the very first response. Can we get back to the topic?

I'd still like to know what apps for 2-year olds are recommended? (My grandson has his own abandoned iPhone. It's a blessing when his parents take him out to a resturaunt. No screaming todler.) :rolleyes:

Thanks

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
In the meantime, this thread started drifting off-topic in the very first response. Can we get back to the topic?

Nope, not done judging the bad parents yet.

I'm here looking for advice for the same thing. Many children specialty clinics use iPads as learning devices and I wanted to find out some apps other parents recommend.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Hmmm, I remember back in the '50's, people saying the same about television. So, how many visual artists and writers do you think were early-influenced by this distraction?

I'd still like to know what apps for 2-year olds are recommended? (My grandson has his own abandoned iPhone. It's a blessing when his parents take him out to a resturaunt. No screaming todler.) :rolleyes:

Thanks

Yeah kids without TV's might actually go outside to play, ride their bikes and go round local friends for real to play with real toys.

Oh the horror of it all.

Much better they can sit glue to spongebob squarepants whilst mum prepares their favourite snack setting them up for a life of obesity and ADD

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Interesting thread.

At my family Holiday gathering, I noticed many of my very young second cousins all using iPads and/or iPods/iPhones. Some were as young as four; it hit me as kinda insane.

That said, these kids are growing up in a world where so much of their lives will be digital. It would probably be detrimental to them in their educational careers to not be using this tech from an early age. As a elementary aged kid growing up in the 90s, computers were finally becoming something that teachers wanted to use in the classroom... Many college-aged folks today will have memories of using 80s era Tandy 1000s in the early 90s. I remember this sparked my interest in computers and technology in general. In many ways, a modern equivalent might be a three year old using an iPad.

That said, there are the inherent qualities of an iPad make it a less than ideal "tool for the job," so to say. Putting a $600 device in the hands of someone that young is an [expensive] accident waiting to happen.

Joypebble

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Still Off Topic

Yeah kids without TV's might actually go outside to play, ride their bikes and go round local friends for real to play with real toys.
Oh the horror of it all.
Much better they can sit glue to spongebob squarepants whilst mum prepares their favourite snack setting them up for a life of obesity and ADD

Missed the point. I want my son and daughter-in-law to be able to enjoy a dinner out and take the 2 year-old along without having to run outside with him if he gets cranky (remember, "terrible twos?)

He is completely relaxed and at home with his run out old iPhone and that keeps him occupied and socially quite for an hour so and keeps my son's family inside the restaurant while we all enjoy a dinner. Now, if there were a few toddler apps to keep him engaged all the way to the dessert. Then we'd all be happy campers.

Still, this thread seems to drift all around the anthropological future-shock and education issues which, frankly, simply do not matter to the two-year-old or his overworked parents looking for a simple meal out with the family.

If I were the thread moderator here, I'd try to keep thread drift to a minimum.

(Been there, actually done that).

So, one last try. Any apps to suggest?

Thanks and

Bedoneseedjall

---JP

nateaallen

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Actual recommendations

I came to this thread looking for recommendations and found none. How disappointing. I use my iPad 1 for school but when I'm out with my family my 5 and 2 year enjoy the diversion, great for waiting for a table or when one of the two is in a swim lesson. So here is what I have loaded right now:

-I just bought Sesame Street's "The Monster at the end of this Book" and both my kids enjoyed it. It takes about 15 minutes to "read" and they have read it a few times already.

-Magic Puzzles is great for my five year old, haven't tried it with the two year old

-MemMatches and Preschool Memory Match are great memory games that both kids enjoy. Because you can change the difficulty it adjusts nicely between the 5 and 2 year old.

-Drawing and coloring apps are always great: Doodle Buddy, Glow Draw and Crayola's colorStudio HD have different pros and cons

-Instruments: if you don't mind a bit of noise (they think it is music) try any of the instrument apps like: fingerdrums, touchband, or my favorite vuvuzela

Hope this helps a little

Joypebble

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008

What is the problem. There's loads of really good apps for kids.
Only problem I have is getting it back off him.

Well, what are they? People here are looking for answers, not "lookit me mommy" remarks and slices of your life. You claim to have the answers? I don't really think so. I think you just need to be recognized in any context. This is an information exchange, not a "Who's here" callout.

----------

... I use my iPad 1 for school but when I'm out with my family my 5 and 2 year enjoy the diversion, great for waiting for a table or when one of the two is in a swim lesson. So here is what I have loaded right now:...

Many thanks for your enourmously useful response. Just what I was looking for.

galarneau

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I'll just say that i would bet most of the people here who are saying kids shouldn't use iPads don't have kids.

My 4 year old loves
Monkey preschool lunchbox
Freddie-fish (port of an old DOS/Mac game)
Putt putt saves the zoo (port of an old DOS/Mac game)
Goosed up nursery rhymes
Dora's ABC's

My 11 month old (yes, 11 months) likes to just flip through pictures of the family while he sits on my lap.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Our 2.5 year old uses a few apps:

Elmo's ABCs: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elmo-loves-abcs-for-ipad/id426747278?mt=8

Monster at the End of this Book…starring Grover: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monster-at-end-this-book...starring/id409467802?mt=8

Another Monster at the End of this Book…starring Grover and Elmo: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/another-monster-at-end-this/id473095033?mt=8

Morotobi's Adventure: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/morotobis-adventure/id449814252?mt=8

DinoBoy Adventures: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dinoboy-adventures/id455138887?mt=8

And a few others…gotta run. I can say more about these later but he loves them from the top down.
I don't have the iPad on me to see what else he uses.

mobilepot

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Play 123 miracle app for kids

any recommendations?

A great introduction to shapes and geometry built in an adorable, easy to use and extremely well produced app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id500024209

Youtube
http://youtu.be/ee3r5QEk7dg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.