Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erphan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Everyone,

Now that the new MacBook Pro's are finally out, I'm in a bit of a squeeze here.

So my local Apple Store has the higher end 15" model (2.2 GHz Quad, 1gb AMD Radeon, etc.) with the high-res anti-glare display for $2134.00 (Education Discount).

The Apple Online Store offers the same unit but with the 128gb SSD for $90 more.

I realize that the SSD is a lot faster and all but is it worth the $90 and the lessened space? I mean, I could always carry around an external but it's not nearly as convenient as having 750 gigs built in.

What do you recommend?

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Again, all comes down to your needs, do you edit alot of videos, do you use much raw images, if you just need a os disk with some programs and standard stuff, 100+gb is fine i think atleast.

then you can always but your multimedia stuff in a usb external drive. they are so cheap now. You get 1tb with no power cable needed, just a usb.

If you do need alot of space for video and other things, you are goin to miss the extra space.

Im planning to upgrade the hdd to and aftermarket ssd, as they are much cheapier and much faster then the toshiba/sasmung drives apple usually uses. Then i get to keep the 750gb aswell, and i can put it in a casing if i want. remember you want break warrenty changing the hdd, and its a 10 min job

erphan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
thanks! I think I'll go with the 750gb and then end up buying an SSD later on. btw, do you already have your MBP or are you gonna pick it up soon?

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
i orderd it, i live in norway, so its going to be some painful weeks to wait.

lucky americans can just walk in and pick one up. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.