Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdf212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
If I were to jailbreak my AppleTV, What would I be able to do? What are the advantages?

Is there any way to stream internet streams like the NFL to Apple TV?

Thanks!

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Right now there are two apps for the ATV2...NitoTV and Plex. General info on hacking the ATV2 can be found at AwkwardTV:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page

Guide to jailbreaking ATV2:
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_AppleTV2

NitoTV provides weather and RSS feeds right now with other functions planned for the future: NitoTV installation guide:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV_Take_3

The best reason to jailbreak the ATV2 is Plex. Plex is a complete media management system that goes well beyond the capabilities of the ATV2 menu system. With Plex you can also also add over a hundred video and image plug-ins to access a whole host of other media and image sources such as CNET, Hula, CNN, MLB.com, YouTube, etc. I would suggest that you install Plex on your Mac (assuming you have a mac) and check out the capabilities. I did and quickly decided this was reason enough to jailbreak my ATV2. Check out Plex at:

http://www.plexapp.com/

Installation video and instructions for Plex for IOS:

http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/how-to-install-plex-onto-apple-tv-2g-play-almost-any-video-file-type-video-tutorial/

Installation instructions for Plex for IOS and Plex ATV2 Forum:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/20051-plex-client-for-apple-tv-2g/

I didn't take but 10 minutes to jailbreak my ATV2 using PwnageTool...and maybe another 10 minutes to install Plex. I'm very glad I did and I'm having a lot of fun utilizing Plex and all the plug-ins. I'm hooked....

jjsyht

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Kindda related question

Can we somehow connect USB hard disk to the ATV2 (with or without jailbreak)?

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
is there a way to remove (or hide) the "Movies" and "Tv Shows" items from the ATV main menu using NitoTV?
I'd like mine to just have Plex and Internet.
Can Netflix be moved up a level to main menu?

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Can someone who is running Plex on ATV2 explain it a bit better?

I'm assuming with no storage...you are NOT running plex on your ATV2...you are running plex on another computer and streaming to your ATV2. If this is so...this is a HUGE difference and saying plex is running on your ATV2 is not correct.

So how does the plex app work on ATV2?

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009

I'm assuming with no storage...you are NOT running plex on your ATV2...you are running plex on another computer and streaming to your ATV2. If this is so...this is a HUGE difference and saying plex is running on your ATV2 is not correct.

Plex Media Manager and Plex for OSX are running on my MacBook Pro. And Plex IOS is installed and running on my ATV2. Streaming music and videos are stored on a WD My Book Studio LX (2TB). Works great!

Wheeler

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
I am still waiting for this answer too... Anyone?

No- in fact I tried to JB a 4.0 (ios 4.1) ATV2 last night and couldn't as it seems apple does not support the old software anymore, so the custom restore fails. I successfully JB one last week and the same method last night did not work- looks like we have to wait till dev JB 4.2 for any more love

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005

The Plex app on the ATV is just a client that looks for a running Plex Media Server on your network. the PMS then transcodes the show/movie you select and streams it to the ATV. its still just a "proof of concept" and not up to the alpha/beta level, i think. you cant fast forward or rewind. and you cant stop and start at the same place or pause for too long. if your show crashes in the middle then you have to start back at the beginning.
it works great for me because my kids can figure it out and if their spongebob or pokemon episode crashes halfway then they can start it over or watch something else.
i've only probably had a show crash like 2 or 3 times out of around 100 viewings.

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Is there a way to add a web browser, either Safari or Firefox? I watch alot of stuff on ustream.tv.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
No- in fact I tried to JB a 4.0 (ios 4.1) ATV2 last night and couldn't as it seems apple does not support the old software anymore, so the custom restore fails. I successfully JB one last week and the same method last night did not work- looks like we have to wait till dev JB 4.2 for any more love

Apple is no longer signing 4.1 so unless you saved your 4.1 blobs using TinyUmbrella, you're outta luck until a new jailbreak for 4.2 is released.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Is there a way to add a web browser, either Safari or Firefox? I watch alot of stuff on ustream.tv.

I'm very interested in this as well. . .

surfing the web on my big screen would be killer for me.

I can see it now, surfing the web through my atv2 with my ipad as the trackpad.

eddienyc1

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Removing unwanted ATV2 menu items

is there a way to remove (or hide) the "Movies" and "Tv Shows" items from the ATV main menu using NitoTV?
I'd like mine to just have Plex and Internet.
Can Netflix be moved up a level to main menu?

I was able to remove the TVShows and Movies menu items from my ATV2 by doing the below:
1. used cyberduck to ssh to ATV2
2. used the dropdown to get myself to the topmost directory "/"
3. clicked on applications folder (shortcut)
4. clicked on AppleTV.app folder
5. clicked on appliances folder
6 renamed the Movies.frappliance folder to Movies.frappliance .old
7. renamed the TV.frappliance folder to TV.frappliance.old
got out of cyberduck (disconnected
8. rebooted the ATV2

the menu items for TV Shows and Movies are gone, leaving the main menu alot less cluttered

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI

I haven't done it yet myself, but I think that the latest version of GreenPoison(rc6) supports an untethered 4.2.1 ATV2 boot. Greenpoison works by modifying a non-jailbroken device..not a custom restore like PwnageTool. HERE are some details

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I was able to remove the TVShows and Movies menu items from my ATV2 by doing the below:
1. used cyberduck to ssh to ATV2
2. used the dropdown to get myself to the topmost directory "/"
3. clicked on applications folder (shortcut)
4. clicked on AppleTV.app folder
5. clicked on appliances folder
6 renamed the Movies.frappliance folder to Movies.frappliance .old
7. renamed the TV.frappliance folder to TV.frappliance.old
got out of cyberduck (disconnected
8. rebooted the ATV2

the menu items for TV Shows and Movies are gone, leaving the main menu alot less cluttered

Not sure why anyone would want to but you can already remove the TV Shows and Movies menu items in the Settings on a bone stock Apple TV. No need for all that. Apple provides an easy way to do it.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I personally think, now that websites and third party apps can use airplay, the need to jailbreak has gone down. It is now possible that one could use an app on their iOS device to push media that is stored on their Mac to an AppleTV.

My advice for anyone thinking about jailbreaking-wait till the update comes out and see what developers come up with. I think this may be the killer feature that we are all waiting for

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I personally think, now that websites and third party apps can use airplay, the need to jailbreak has gone down. It is now possible that one could use an app on their iOS device to push media that is stored on their Mac to an AppleTV.

My advice for anyone thinking about jailbreaking-wait till the update comes out and see what developers come up with. I think this may be the killer feature that we are all waiting for

My thoughts exactly! A 10" foot TV interface with a remote will never be as good as browsing and selecting media to watch directly from the iPad in a nicely designed app. The future is not in apps on the Apple TV except for maybe games and only if they create a dedicated bluetooth controller for it with physical buttons. But as far as tv shows and movies, Airplay is where it's at. There is simply no better experience.

eddienyc1

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure why anyone would want to but you can already remove the TV Shows and Movies menu items in the Settings on a bone stock Apple TV. No need for all that. Apple provides an easy way to do it.

I looked all over the "settings" sub-menus and can't see where you can remove Movies and TV Shows?

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
no benefit since 90 percent of the stuff doesnt work right anyway

xbmc is highly touted but everyone i know who has installed says it chokes on all the video

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
My jailbroken ATV2, Netflix subscription and XBMC and its add-ons have fully justified my decision to cut the cable. Forget streaming via iTunes... I send stuff direct from my NAS, which I've added as a video source in XBMC.

Anyone using XBMC should really look into the Icefilms add-on (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=87703). All I can say is that it's totally worth the effort to set it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.