Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I have been playing around with the release, it is very slow. Doing things like browsing and even playing WOW.

its running on a 2.93 i7 8 gigs of ram imac.

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I have been playing around with the release, it is very slow. Doing things like browsing and even playing WOW.

its running on a 2.93 i7 8 gigs of ram imac.

This is a release for developers to begin building and testing their applications. It is not meant for casual use, such as playing WoW.

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
The reason your experience is slow is because Spotlight is indexing. I thought it was slow at first to, but it's not once the indexing is complete.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I've been using it for the past few hours, and it's been admirably fast for a pre-release software. At least as fast as 10.6.6.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I've been switching between Lion and Snow Leopard today, and Lion is considerably faster than Snow Leopard.

It's likely slow at first because of the tasks it's running.

denrock

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
NJ, USA
i find it at least as fast as snow leopard 10.6.6 on both my 2010 mac mini 2.66 C2D and my 2010 macbook pro 2.53 i5 (and maybe even a slight bit faster!). I'm actually surprised that it's running this fast and smoothly right out of the gate for a beta/preview version.

Last edited:

Enori

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Poland
Scrolling is not as smooth as on SL and it bothers me a little. Maybe later I will try clean install.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
Scrolling is not as smooth as on SL and it bothers me a little. Maybe later I will try clean install.
Why are people expecting an early developer preview to have wonderfully smooth scrolling? There are far more important issues with the OS than scrolling right now. That's a minor issue that will be addressed much later on.

Enori

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Poland
And who told you I expect it will be smooth? I just share experience like the others, and wonder if maybe it would be smoother if I did clean install.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2009
You can't really complain. It's the first developer build, pretty much just so they can know if their app works 100% and start working on it if not.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
And who told you I expect it will be smooth? I just share experience like the others, and wonder if maybe it would be smoother if I did clean install.
It won't be.

And it's not that I meant to imply you were expecting it to be smooth, but rather just one shouldn't be surprised at such a finding. This is a developer preview and the focus is on overall stability and the testing of new features. Minor things like making sure animations and scrolling are smooth come much later, perhaps even in a post-WWDC preview.

Some of the people here are acting as if Lion is already being released and thus are dumbfounded that some things aren't working perfectly. (Not implying this about you at all.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.