Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Message History
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday , August 16, 2010 04:50 pm MDT (GMT-06:00)
Subject: iPad defender case problem Sales Order #445922

That only appears with the built in screen protectors not the adhesive protectors what there a different screen protector beside ours on there.

Thanks,
Trent Bratten

Sent: Sunday , August 15, 2010 03:51 am MDT (GMT-06:00)

I sent an email to Ottterbox about a week ago and only got an automatic response email that my email was received.
I took the case off and on a couple of times hoping the oil slick would go away. But now noticed like small press /dent on my iPad like the case is just squeezing it way to hard.

Sent: Thursday , August 12, 2010 11:24 am MDT (GMT-06:00)

Any updates on this?

Sent: Monday , August 09, 2010 05:07 pm MDT (GMT-06:00)

Hello,
I have received the Defender case for my iPad, but I am experiencing what other on forums have described as the oil slick problem on the screen.
seems as if the case is smashing the ipad to tight? I do not have any other kind of protection on the back of the iPad like a Skin, etc that would cause it to be tighter.:mad:
Thanks.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
I think he's trying to say that this only happens when you have another screen protector on in addition to the one that's part of the Defender. i.e. remove the other protector.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
I think he's trying to say that this only happens when you have another screen protector on in addition to the one that's part of the Defender.

There is no screen with the Defender for iPad..

I have first hand experience with what he's talking about and it was discussed in a previous thread. He's looking to solve an issue that he, myself and others experience. I posted how I solved mine...he's looking for answers from Otterbox which I fully understand. The photo comment from me is what Otterbox needs to see.

ronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006

I have first hand experience with what he's talking about and it was discussed in a previous thread. He's looking to solve an issue that he, myself and others experience. I posted how I solved mine...he's looking for answers from Otterbox which I fully understand. The photo comment from me is what Otterbox needs to see.

This is exactly what I'm trying to express to Otterbox. I Still have not had another reply back from them yet.

ronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Mr. Biggles said:

Still no reply back from them yet,
Did you post pic of your oil slick , looked but could not find any.
I was considering getting a commuter case, but with this slow response from Otterbox not making me feel ok about buying another case from them.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Had mine a couple weeks now and it's been excellent... Do you/they think it was just a bad batch?

I did massage the foam on the removable door to loosen it up... It was too tight to remove... But it never caused any kind of screen distortion.

Cantenna

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
SOLVED with a dremal.
Otterbox Defender too much pressure on LCD Fix

Applying pressure in the white areas below cause LCD it bleed or oil slick because ipad defender case applies to much pressure to ipad.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fix
First I smoothed out the areas below and superglued the plastic window back on when i finished. The presure points were coming from well you can see from the 1st pick below but also the sides of the frame. I made more room in the but only in the places that had thick plastic to spare e.x on the inside opposite of the bevel. Then i made some more room by going in through the coners (see third pick) opposite of the bevel. Lastly I removed the felt stickers.

Then i removed the sticker felt from the second piece of the skeleton smootherd out the two teeth that make contact with the back of the ipad.

Lastly i removed the foam from the door.

on the 1st pick it took a while to smooth all that down but its worth it. Now i can mash away on my ipad and not woory about damaging my LCD.

So in the end with a little work this is the best case out there.

P.S. I ended up with a scratch on the back of my ipad (fine and small but GRRRR)

ronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Commuter case

I got tired of waiting for the slow response from otterbox and ordered a commuter iPad case on Amazon, prices are cheaper and if there is any problems Amazon responds back quick.

After ordering the commuter case got an email from Otterbox asking me for the case type and color of defender for the iPad I purchased..
I replied back to them, that i sent my order number with my first email to them , and is there more that one iPad defender case.

Cantenna

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
ronline said:
I got tired of waiting for the slow response from otterbox and ordered a commuter iPad case on Amazon, prices are cheaper and if there is any problems Amazon responds back quick.

After ordering the commuter case got an email from Otterbox asking me for the case type and color of defender for the iPad I purchased..
I replied back to them, that i sent my order number with my first email to them , and is there more that one iPad defender case.

Well glad your sorted. I was pissed so I feel your pain.

Bobbynobbler

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
iPad otterbox defender oil slick

I have a defender case which I fitted before my initial switch on after purchasing my ipad.
I noticed an oil slick effect when looking at my iPad screen from the side I thought it was a apple manufacturing defect and decided to disregard it until I read these posts. I've since taken it out of the case and the oil slick has disappeared so it's definitely a pressure related issue.
what's a bit disturbing is that I read a post on av forums that another user had his LCD damaged by this case and luckily he managed to get an iPad replacement from apple!
I think I'll get a refund

Bobbynobbler

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
to add to my post above I'm trying to video the oil slick anomally and will upload it when I've done.

what's made me more concerned about using the ipad with this case is that the size of the oil slick is about 5cmm x 1cm when there is no finger contact but when you start touching the screen it spreads massively, this lcd bleed as I'm going to call it surely can not be good when the device is switched on.

I notice that with the case removed theres is no lcd bleed whatsoever no matter how hard you press on the screen and I wonder if the otterbox is putting pressure on some sensitive areas around the ipad perimeter or perhaps slightly bending the lcd.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
This was the dealbreaker when I waa trying to decide whether to buy the Defender. I already had it in my shopping cart at Amazon.com...at a VERY good price...but then I read about the "oil slick." Hope you get the company to "own up" to their responsibility.

Maverickx75

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Defender is fine for me

I know exactly what you are talking about with this "oilslick". This only occurs when the protective screen is attached to the case similar to the iPhone defender case. When i purchased my otter box defender for ipad it came with a self adhesive screen protector and it sits flawless on my ipad with no oil slick or bumps.

Bobbynobbler

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
ipad defender oil slick

It has nothing to do with the protective screen, the defender case is different to the ipad case it has a thicker membrane that just sits over the iphone screen and is not adhered to the actual screen, it is a recognised phenomena with iphone defender cases. With the ipad defender this is definately a more serious issue. The crystal clear protective screen comes with the defender case and is stuck on before you fit the main case it sits there fine this isnt the issue the issue is the pressure the hard shell is putting on the components of the screen causing it to slightly buckle either that or pressure is being put onto other components not visible around the perimeter of the ipad here are two photos of the anomally one shows the oil slick that is evident all the time without even touching the screen and the other shows how it spreads with light pressure. I managed to get hold of a replacement case and guess what, this one does exactly the same thing. If this doesn't affect you then that's good but I would suggest anyone with this case should have a proper look by switching the ipad off and tilting the screen to the side to see if it actually is happening and they haven't noticed it.

Attachments

• Copy of without pressure being applied.JPG
    Copy of without pressure being applied.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 317
  • Copy of with light pressure applied.JPG
    Copy of with light pressure applied.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've got a defender case on my iPad but don't have any oil-slicking on the screen, fortunately:
If you're getting that sort of thing it's definitely cause for concern as it could ultimately damage your iPad (sort of the opposite of what the defender is designed to do!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.