Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
So what is TRIM support and why is it a good thing to have?

What’s the big deal with TRIM support? To put it simply, operating systems like Snow Leopard that don’t have TRIM support will treat solid state drives as regular, spinning drives when writing and deleting blocks of data. Snow Leopard doesn’t exactly know it’s dealing with an SSD, and while you’ll notice incredible performance improvements in daily usage, the same performances will slowly degrade over time without TRIM support. TRIM correctly tells the operating system which blocks of data are no longer in use in the solid state unit, and the OS passes the information along to the SSD controller so it can wipe blocks internally.

Basically: this is great news for SSD aficionados and, looking forward, a smart move from Apple as the move to solid state drives in all Mac computers seems inevitable.

http://www.macstories.net/news/os-x-lion-adds-trim-support-for-ssds/

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Apparently not all SSDs. At least my OCZ Vertex 2 doesn't appear to have it enabled in Lion, although it works fine in Windows.

That would suck if Apple made Lion to support TRIM only on Apple branded SSD's. Let's hope this is not the case.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Apparently not all SSDs. At least my OCZ Vertex 2 doesn't appear to have it enabled in Lion, although it works fine in Windows.

Indeed. My Intel X25-M G2 SSD is not supported either. :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-02-25 at 11.50.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-02-25 at 11.50.29 AM.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 383

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hmm this is very bad news. I wonder if I should order an Apple SSD with the new MBP then, and just sell my own G2. Anyone have any thoughts?

That is the first beta of Lion. TRIM support may still be taking its baby steps so don't make decisions based on what Lion currently supports.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
That is the first beta of Lion. TRIM support may still be taking its baby steps so don't make decisions based on what Lion currently supports.

Definitely definitely. However, I will cancel my order for now, since I should probably wait on some reviews anyway. I'd also like to see what SSDs they're actually using this time around.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Definitely definitely. However, I will cancel my order for now, since I should probably wait on some reviews anyway. I'd also like to see what SSDs they're actually using this time around.

That is always a good choice. Anand is already working on review and IMO AT's reviews are one of the best in the Internet.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
What I said before: Knowing that it's a shame though that Apple didn't pick TRIM-capable SSD's for the current generation MacBook Airs. There's 2 suppliers in there currently, Toshiba and Samsung but neither support TRIM, according to the System Profiler :(

Sorry, I stand corrected

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Knowing that it's a shame though that Apple didn't pick TRIM-capable SSD's for the current generation MacBook Airs. There's 2 suppliers in there currently, Toshiba and Samsung but neither support TRIM, according to the System Profiler :(

It shows no TRIM support because OS X does not support it. See above, Intel X-25M supports TRIM but in OS X the TRIM support is stated as no. The second post also says that TRIM support has been confirmed with 2010 MBAs.

luggles

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Any new information on whether the final release of Lion, allows for Trim support on non-apple branded SSDs?

I'm holding off purchase on a Intel 320 because it doesn't have garbage collection, and unsure about TRIM enabler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.