Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Influential ratings-and-reviews magazine Consumer Reports made headlines last July when it declined to recommend the iPhone to consumers due to antenna issues that could result in loss of signal. The publication has held strong on its non-recommendation, arguing that Apple's temporary free case over was insufficient to address the issue.

Consumer Reports is back at it again, this time hitting the Verizon iPhone for essentially the exact same reason it knocked on the original iPhone 4.
The Verizon iPhone 4 has a problem that could cause the phone to drop calls, or be unable to place calls, in weak signal conditions, Consumer Reports engineers have found in lab tests.

The problem is similar to the one we confirmed in July with the AT&T version of Apple's newest smart phone. It can occur when you hold either version of the phone in a specific but quite natural way in which a gap in the phone's external casing is covered. The phone performs superbly in most other respects, and using the iPhone 4 with a case can alleviate the problem.
According to tests conducted by Consumer Reports, simply placing a finger on the gap at the lower left side of the Verizon iPhone causes signal to drop over a period of 15 seconds, resulting in calls being dropped in areas of low signal. As a result, the publication is similarly declining to recommend the Verizon iPhone despite lower reports of users experiencing the signal issues, potentially due to the strength of Verizon's network.
But given our findings, we believe the possibility exists for individual users to experience the problem since low signal conditions are unavoidable when using any cell-phone network.

For that reason, we are not including the Verizon iPhone 4 in our list of recommended smart phones, despite its high ranking in our Ratings.
Consumer Reports was unable to generate similar issues with a variety of other phones on Verizon's network, including the Samsung Fascinate, Motorola Droid 2 Global, HTC Droid Incredible, LG Ally, and Motorola Droid X, thus isolating the issue as unique to Apple's current iPhone designs.

Article Link: 'Consumer Reports' Smacks Verizon iPhone Over Antenna Issues

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
No wonder that nobody is buying this iPhone 4. Thanks for opening our eyes CR :p

timirving

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
I'm Smacking CR for It's Hyperbolic Reporting on a Minor Issue

This is lame, it's not really that bad.... maybe I hold my phone differently than most; I really don't have a problem with my IP4 dropping calls unless I am in an area with 1 bar. But I dropped calls in those areas with other phones too.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
But given our findings, we believe the possibility exists for individual users to experience the problem since low signal conditions are unavoidable when using any cell-phone network.

What's "unavoidable? Just don't hold it in that spot for 15 seconds....... or use a case. ;)

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
In other words, CR writers were thinking this:

"How can we make headlines again?"

EdRed

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
The Verizon iPhone 4 has a problem...

...it's way too popular for the competition to handle.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't mind CR reporting on this but I really they'd compare it to the 3GS and run it through the same tests.

Because, frankly, if the i4 only drops calls in places the 3GS can't get any signal than that's important to know.

And, conversely, if that's not the case then I'd like to know that as well.

Bascially, I have no problem with them reporting on the issue, but their reporting is borderline useless without that comparision.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
This is nothing more than a headline grab by consumer reports. They garnered a lot of publicity bashing the iPhone 4, as did Gizmodo.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
And on the next page they probably reviewed toaster ovens, toilet plungers and feminine hygiene products....which they might actually have someone qualified to review.

Steve

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I don't mind CR reporting on this but I really they'd compare it to the 3GS and run it through the same tests.

Because, frankly, if the i4 only drops calls in places the 3GS can't get any signal than that's important to know.

And, conversely, if that's not the case then I'd like to know that as well.

Bascially, I have no problem with them reporting on the issue, but their reporting is borderline useless without that comparision.

Agreed. Many reviews of the phone have said exactly that too. People can use the ip4 where they couldn't with the 3GS.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I have the Verizon iPhone 4. Consumer Reports is right about the antenna. I love the phone except this one issue. It's just about a deal-breaker & it still annoys me.

I feel like I made a lateral move. I got off of AT&T's network to get decent reception. I got onto a better, more reliable network in Verizon, except now, the phone is the problem. :eek:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
In other words, CR writers were thinking this:

"How can we make headlines again?"

+1 It's ridiculous.

Since the proximity sensor fix, I never have calls drop or get cut off. And I'm on the AT&T version in an area where I only get 1-3 bars most of the time.

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
This is lame, it's not really that bad.... maybe I hold my phone differently than most; I really don't have a problem with my IP4 dropping calls unless I am in an area with 1 bar. But I dropped calls in those areas with other phones too.

It is bad and affects a lot of people, I've had my phone changed 3 times all with the same issue, about 20 other people I know who have iPhone 4s have this problem.

You will get a lot of fanboys here defending apple saying nothing is wrong with the phone and don't hold it that way, but the truth is, this problem exists in a lot of iPhone 4s if not all of them.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
It's interesting how a once notorious issue is no longer of concern.

Let's face it, making phone calls is a mere subset feature to everything else the iPhone offers. Making phone calls probably takes up 2% of the daily activity iPhone's undergo.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Again? Cmon.... i've tried last year like 30 phones and smartphones in my shop and all drops bar if you cover antenna. iPhone 4 receive quite good for being a smartphone and more than Galaxy s and iPhone 3GS.

They spread paranoia. Sometimes someone come into my shop and are convinced his/her iPhone has the issue, then i show him it happend the same with his old phone or girlfriend/boyfriend with he/she and they stop.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
No wonder that nobody is buying this iPhone 4. Thanks for opening our eyes CR :p

Do _NOT_ get me wrong. Apples shady business practices aside, I'm a huge Apple enthusiast. But this Antenna issue that Jobs blessed before it ever got shipped is just disgusting.

Apple deserves all the push back they are getting on this. I'm _Not_ one who is a fan of Consumer Reports, but this time they're right.

Sadly all this will do is fuel the little boy rage, that Steve Jobs still harbors.

He will _never admit a mistake, or take responsibility.

It always someone elses fault. Sad... So Sad.

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Agreed. Many reviews of the phone have said exactly that too. People can use the ip4 where they couldn't with the 3GS.

That is until they hold the phone in there hand and bam! The calls dropped and no signal.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.