Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moiz41510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Ok so this isnt the average iPhone 4 front camera issue.

Details I can confirm-
Front camera does not work
Back Camera works
When i go to general > setting > reset all settings it lets me use the back camera and then when i switch the cameras it gets stuck on the shutter.

What makes this not an average issue is that I switched the motherboards with my brothers iPhone 4. I switch the boards because his iPhone 4 was unlocked and mines wasn't.

Now the front camera is stuck on the shutter for both of us.

I had no idea that switching the motherboards could make the front camera be useless.

My brother is currently in UC Davis and i cant get to him now.
What I will be doing when he comes back from college is switch the motherboards back to their original parts, and see if the camera works.

What i want from you guys is that is their a workaround rather then switching the motherboards back to their original parts.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Again, may as well just buy the phones, Apple won't (and has no obligation to) help the OP, they gutted two perfectly functional phones with no issues and now neither work properly.

moiz41510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Make an appointment with a Genius over at the Apple Store and explain the issue.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Again, may as well just buy the phones, Apple won't (and has no obligation to) help the OP, they gutted two perfectly functional phones with no issues and now neither work properly.

OMG seriously people who reply to threads need to smarten up a little. When you disconnected and reconnected you obviously missed some connections that is being used by the front camera.

Look here and open up your phone and double check all the connections: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-4-Front-Facing-Camera/3146/1

Ok heres the deal I bought these phones off of someone. I am not running AT&T. No of course if i take the phone to Apple I am not going to say

"Oh, I opened the iPhone and voided the warranty and broke the front camera now what?"

The main thing I would like to know is what information will Apple ask me if the gave me a replacement or is it even possible because I don't have warranty.

I did follow the exact guide to find out which ribbon cable is the front cameras. And that ribbon cable seems to be OK.

nukem170

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
I'm not sure what apple will ask but they WONT give you a replacement since opening the phone voids the warranty.

moiz41510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I'm not sure what apple will ask but they WONT give you a replacement since opening the phone voids the warranty.

LOL! They will NEVER help this guy out as he has not only opened the phone, but switched the motherboard also! Hilarious! :D

Well I switched back the motherboards a while ago, and still no luck. I know when I go to the Apple store they wont open my iPhone in front of me and tell me its warranty is voided. Any more ideas?

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Well I switched back the motherboards a while ago, and still no luck. I know when I go to the Apple store they wont open my iPhone in front of me and tell me its warranty is voided. Any more ideas?

Yea. You ****ed up your iPhone.

Buy a new one and throw yours in the bin, unless someone wants it for $100 bucks.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Ok heres the deal I bought these phones off of someone. I am not running AT&T. No of course if i take the phone to Apple I am not going to say

"Oh, I opened the iPhone and voided the warranty and broke the front camera now what?"

The main thing I would like to know is what information will Apple ask me if the gave me a replacement or is it even possible because I don't have warranty.

I did follow the exact guide to find out which ribbon cable is the front cameras. And that ribbon cable seems to be OK.

Sorry, was responding to the post above mine, not to you. Wasn't try to imply you were trying to do anything wrong.

moiz41510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
LOL! They will NEVER help this guy out as he has not only opened the phone, but switched the motherboard also! Hilarious! :D

hahah dumb bitch!!!! they did help me out!! they gave me a new iPhone .. you useless ****!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.