Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
What will you feel the difference of speed in between the i5 and the i7? How much of a difference? Seconds or minutes? Worth the extra hundreds?

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
it's a matter of hours. no really if you don't do some serious video encoding or something like that you are not able to notice any difference. i mean you could film it in slo-mo and wouldn't notice a difference in the playback

Last edited:

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Seconds or minutes of what? If you're doing video encoding, sure you'll notice a difference, but if you're using it for standard uses, you likely won't notice a difference.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
If you're doing video encoding, sure you'll notice a difference, but if you're using it for standard uses, you likely won't notice a difference.

Could I interject with a question?

I have not done any video work to speak of. But... I think I would like to get into it a little bit more. This would not be on a professional level, and I imagine I would be using clips from a regular (non-video) camera or maybe a Go-Pro HD camera. Thinking of iMovie 11 or FCE for editing.

So, my question: What is "video encoding"? Like I said.... (obviously) I haven't done any video to-date. Would what I described above be "encoding"? Does all video work include encoding? Or only some certain types?

(Right now I have a 2010 MBP, 2.4ghz 4g RAM. Upgrading to 8g RAM seems like a no-brainer no matter what I do. But I want to take a big-picture view, and maybe that means a whole new computer? OTOH, I'm not the type who has to have the best or new unless it would really make a difference. But, I'm not trying to make this into a thread about my computer, so I really just want to know about "video encoding.")

Thanks

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Miss Terri,
U
You are fine with what you have for a long while. Although the 8 mgs might be worth it.

Don't get caught up in the hype. Run those apps now and see for yourself.

Grouchy Bob

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
AssWipe, New Mexico
So, my question: What is "video encoding"?

It's merely "rendering" your digital edit, from say FCE into the various formats for viewing. Or... converting an existing movie format to another.

The encoding process requires tons of "frame-by-frame" compression to keep the resultant size manageable which is why it's so CPU intensive.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
Thanks buckwheat987. Heh, I don't even like getting a new machine (too much trauma wondering if it will be a good one, etc.), and I'm still a bit caught up in it. Probably moreso because I just got this machine a short while ago and could maybe even exchange it for a new one. But then I think "Hmm, a new 13"? A 15" so I could get rid of the glossy screen? Forget movies and get an Air for portability?"

Heh, so I should probably just upgrade my RAM and not do anything more until I figure out what I would even want to change to, if I changed.

OTOH...

Grouchy Bob, Oh, so it's the same as rendering. Aha. Well I was with a friend over the holidays, and he was doing video stuff on a huge, whomping ASUS gaming machine (seriously, you could heat a room with the exhaust coming out the side vent - it was a beast) and even that took ages to render video. So I guess it is really demanding. I didn't realize that was the same as encoding.

Aaand, I'm not sure how "into it" I'm going to get, yet.

Thanks to both of you for the input, and to Funkymonk for the use of his thread :)

Miss Terri

Late 2010 MBP 13" - 2.4ghz - 4g RAM
Mid 2008 MB --- died
Early 2002 iBook 14" - 600mhz - 640m RAM --- still kicking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.