Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I'm thinking that Lion might be the last of the cats. "Lion" is the king of the jungle. How do you top that? Also, I think the rest of the cats are much smaller and less known. It would seem like a let down after Lion.

So, if this is true, what do you guys think will replace the cats? Even if you think they'll be a few more cats, "Felix", "Garfield", etc :p What will come after cats?

Something to consider is there's no reason why there has to be ten. OS X doesn't have to end with 10.9. It can go on to 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, and so on. I doubt Apple will want to do away with the all too familiar "X". It has powerful branding now.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You could find multiple threads on this topic using Search. But, to save you the time and effort, the answer is: Apple's not telling, thus no one here knows.

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I never took each renaming to be a superior cat each time- I'd much rather be a cheetah than a tiger or leopard =P

But yeah, we've still got Cougar [Insert MILF joke here]. The aforementioned Liger could also be quite fitting, given Apple's attempts to hybridise OSX and iOS.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I don't think so, theres still a bunch of unused names:

Mac OS X Wild Cat
Mac OS X Cougar
Mac OS X Ocelot

and lets not forget Mac OS X Domestic Cat ;)

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Apple trademarked Lynx and Cougar a while ago. So it will most likely be:

10.8 Lynx
10.9 Cougar

Then the move to OS 11.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Apple trademarked Lynx and Cougar a while ago. So it will most likely be:

10.8 Lynx
10.9 Cougar

Then the move to OS 11.
I doubt it. Lynx and cougars certainly don't top a lion. I do believe this is the last version of OS X. That doesn't mean much to me though. I think they'll just rebrand the operating system as OS 11 and hopefully it won't be a desktop version of iOS.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I would love to see how apple moves away from osx. I feel like it can last quite a long time as it is right now.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I doubt it. Lynx and cougars certainly don't top a lion. I do believe this is the last version of OS X. That doesn't mean much to me though. I think they'll just rebrand the operating system as OS 11 and hopefully it won't be a desktop version of iOS.

Lynx and Cougars don't top Lions?

A Tiger absolutely destroys a Lion, let alone a Leopard so I don't see your point.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Mac OS 10.8 will be name Tabby or House Cat. I'm kind of sad Apple didn't code name iOS after different breeds of house cats.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
It wont be Lynx, because you'll get people who confuse it with Linux.
Maybe Lion is the end of the cats and Steve.

When a new CEO comes in maybe they will start a new species of animals?

They could still use Keyboard Cat, he tops any Lion!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I never took each renaming to be a superior cat each time- I'd much rather be a cheetah than a tiger or leopard =P

But yeah, we've still got Cougar [Insert MILF joke here]. The aforementioned Liger could also be quite fitting, given Apple's attempts to hybridise OSX and iOS.

osxcougar.jpg

My vote is for Liger, iOS and Mac OS more fully integrated with each other.

it doesn't matter if the lion is the "king of the jungle" the big cats will continue until Apple decides to rewrite the Mac from the ground up with Mac OS 11. Will that be the next update? I don't know, but I think apple is gonna be pretty hesitant with changing everything because they have such a good thing with OS X.

As stated above there are plenty of other big cat names apple can use to extend Mac OS X to 10.13 if need be. That could last over a decade.

But then again u may be right and apple will create a new hybrid OS of Mac and iOS.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
it doesn't matter if the lion is the "king of the jungle" the big cats will continue until Apple decides to rewrite the Mac from the ground up with Mac OS 11.
Yeah, because OS 8 was a complete rewrite from System 7, and OS 9 was a rewrite of 8.

I highly doubt Apple will rewrite their OS ever. Operating systems have become too complex to start over at this point. Good thing we have such great foundations to build on already.

Yeah, because OS 8 was a complete rewrite from System 7, and OS 9 was a rewrite of 8.

I highly doubt Apple will rewrite their OS ever. Operating systems have become too complex to start over at this point. Good thing we have such great foundations to build on already.

good point, i spoke out of turn. not a complete rewrite necessarily but with some fundamental differences, not incremental upgrades

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA

Not to mention Mac OS X wasn't even a complete rewrite, either. It began mostly as NeXTstep with a Mac-like GUI. It was totally different from System 9, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.