Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
If Apple comes out with another OS without an "uninstall app" feature to easily uninstall app's then they have mental problems...

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
No excuses. Just do it Apple... I dont want to have to worry about which ones leave around what and where it is. one button. Uninstall....if Windows can do it many years ago I think Apple should be able to by now..

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
It so funny how everyone defends everything Apple does no matter what it is on this site...Like it or not , an uninstall button is easier then dragging stuff and finding related files. It is ONE CLICK. You cant get easier...so don't defend the old fashion manual way. What Apple does is try and make things easier for people do they not? They let you BUY app's with one click now in the app store. Why not uninstall with one click..

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
It so funny how everyone defends everything Apple does no matter what it is on this site...Like it or not , an uninstall button is easier then dragging stuff and finding related files. It is ONE CLICK. You cant get easier...so don't defend the old fashion manual way. What Apple does is try and make things easier for people do they not? They let you BUY app's with one click now in the app store. Why not uninstall with one click..

LOL were not defending apple to me its just easier to drag in the trash and go get the supporting files, by doing that I know they are gone. When I used AppZapper i did the same thing i would delete the app and still go check to make sure it happened.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Wow....still defending haha. Think about it. How can moving a file to a trash can and going into finder to find files be easier then the click of a button? Time them both and see which is easier. The click of a button is like .00002 of a second. Deleting an app your way is probably 20-30 seconds haha

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
No excuses. Just do it Apple... I dont want to have to worry about which ones leave around what and where it is. one button. Uninstall....if Windows can do it many years ago I think Apple should be able to by now..
If you're the type of person that worries because an OS X app leaves a preference file on the file system after the apps been removed, then pointing at Windows as the solution makes no damn sense.

Many (if not most) Windows applications, when uninstalled through their installer program, leave their preferences stored in the registry. Thus the gazilions of different "clean your registry to make Windows run faster" utilities out there.

So if you're really worried about which ones leave what and where they do, you're worried about that in Windows as well.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wow....still defending haha. Think about it. How can moving a file to a trash can and going into finder to find files be easier then the click of a button? Time them both and see which is easier. The click of a button is like .00002 of a second. Deleting an app your way is probably 20-30 seconds haha

Use AppCleaner. If you don't like it, go to Windows

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Clearly a "if it ain't broke" feature. Windows has uninstall because of registry clutter which is not necessary for OS-X. I just don't think a lot of us care about such a feature.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I do use AppCleaner =) Having something similar built into OSX would be nice and more efficient. I do love OSX....wayyyy more then any Windows OS... The uninstall feature is just a suggestion to make it better. :D

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Your Windows OS doesn't delete any of the app's crap data either. It just chooses to mislead you with an "Uninstall" Control Panel applet. It just so happens that Mac applications generate less garbage, and place them in specific locations, instead of anywhere they want.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Windows can do it many years ago I think Apple should be able to by now..

You must be from the future, at some point in time where several years earlier a version of Windows was released that actually removes every trace of an application if you uninstall it.

I'm not saying Apple shouldn't include a superior way of doing it, but to say Windows can is a joke.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Most applications that come with an installer places files all over the system. Only an uninstaller application, designed specifically for that application, can remove the installed application entirely. Only it can know where exactly the installer placed files, and what their filenames are.

OS X has no real way of knowing that, unless it would monitor the installation process and remember the location of each file created. I guess they could implement such a feature, but there are probably limitations to that.

Mostly every app that comes with an installer also has an uninstaller with it. Other apps that only require dragging into the Applications folder will not need an uninstaller, however, some of them can still create stuff around the system when they are launched.

I guess that the App Store could keep track of all this and have an uninstall feature, but it would require lots of work and I'm not sure this would work correctly.

As for the way Windows uninstalls applications, it just runs the uninstaller that is provided with the app during installation. As opposed to OS X, Windows apps always come with installers, which makes everything horribly messy.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
My mistake. I didn't know that windows only deleted the .exe file or whatever. I thought its uninstall got rid of everything. That's what I am hoping for from Apple :D Baryon your right about the appstore. It could keep track of the install process and just have a uninstall button with its install button....thats sort of what I was thinking of. If it can keep track of what to install then it can keep track of what to uninstall

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
My mistake. I didn't know that windows only deleted the .exe file or whatever. I thought its uninstall got rid of everything. That's what I am hoping for from Apple :D Baryon your right about the appstore. It could keep track of the install process and just have a uninstall button with its install button....thats sort of what I was thinking of. If it can keep track of what to install then it can keep track of what to uninstall

But then of course it gets complicated, because some files are created not during installation, but when you launch the application... So it's always a mess! The thing is that at least in OS X everything is stored in files and folders, there is no registry, so it makes it easier to keep track of things. But it still isn't perfect. I think that ideally, every app should be entirely contained in its own folder in Applications. All of the preference files, everything, should be in there, and someone smart should figure out how to link those files to where they belong, without moving them out of there.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
If Windows has had the feature you're talking about for years, and Apple doesn't, chances are it's better without it. Microsoft is the one that copies Apple and not the other way around for a reason. Why do you WANT to do more work to uninstall stuff? Drag it to the trash and be done with it. Or use AppCleaner and just drag it there.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

You're an idiot, sorry.

The reason Windows HAS an uninstall button or has .exe files to INSTALL software is because software on Windows adds tons of registry files, .dll files, crap files, etc. However, when you "uninstall" programs, it doesn't delete all those files. You're just stupid enough to believe it does.

In fact, I think one of the Macs biggest strengths over Windows is the LACK of an uninstall button and installation files. You just write apps to the hard drive, and then move to trash to "uninstall." Very few apps leave crap files behind, and when they do most cases its not really all that much.

Therefore, clicking a button as you like to put it is just as simple as dragging a file to the trash. If Apple creates an uninstall panel, then it enforces into peoples minds that its completely necessary to do, when fact is that its NOT. 95% of Mac users simply don't need it. And Apple doesn't need to make them believe that they do.

And by the way, since you want to "time" how long it takes to click a button versus dragging an item into the trash, how about this? Time how long it would take to open a panel in system preferences and then clicking a button, versus simply RIGHT CLICKING an app and then CLICKING A BUTTON (that button is named 'move to trash)

Voila! Problem solved. Genius.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You're an idiot, sorry.

The reason Windows HAS an uninstall button or has .exe files to INSTALL software is because software on Windows adds tons of registry files, .dll files, crap files, etc. However, when you "uninstall" programs, it doesn't delete all those files. You're just stupid enough to believe it does.

In fact, I think one of the Macs biggest strengths over Windows is the LACK of an uninstall button and installation files. You just write apps to the hard drive, and then move to trash to "uninstall." Very few apps leave crap files behind, and when they do most cases its not really all that much.

Therefore, clicking a button as you like to put it is just as simple as dragging a file to the trash. If Apple creates an uninstall panel, then it enforces into peoples minds that its completely necessary to do, when fact is that its NOT. 95% of Mac users simply don't need it. And Apple doesn't need to make them believe that they do.

And by the way, since you want to "time" how long it takes to click a button versus dragging an item into the trash, how about this? Time how long it would take to open a panel in system preferences and then clicking a button, versus simply RIGHT CLICKING an app and then CLICKING A BUTTON (that button is named 'move to trash)

Voila! Problem solved. Genius.
This is why I love OS X. I can test most apps by running them from their dmg and then unmounting the dmg if I don't want it. Nothing to uninstall. No garbage left over.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Lol! They should add the iOS X to apps that removes all files and shortcuts and puts them in the trash. Then in trash they should have a restore button that puts everything back. The iOS X always gets everything so I think it would be good. They can activate it by holding the click on an app. K, bye

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.